Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tim DeRuyter

digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited December 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
This is a no brainer to me.

- 50 years old
- Over 22 years college coaching experience
- Coached under Hall of Famers Chris Ault and Fisher DeBerry
- 20-4 in his first two seasons as head coach of Fresno St.
- Won a conference championship in his first season, playing for his second consecutive conf. champ. this season
- Has history of turning defensive units around quickly (http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tim_deruyter_789890.html)
- Has coached in 13 bowl games
- Has west coast recruiting ties, including Recruiting Coordinator Phil Early, whose hometown is Port Angeles, WA
- Coached common opponents as UW in 2012, with equal or better results, which is extraordinary considering he was in his 1st year as a head coach and Fresno St. plays in non-AQ conf. (http://hardcorehusky.squarespace.com/forums/#/discussion/5016/tim-deruyter-s-1st-season-vs-7ws-4th-season-2012-common-opponents)

We have talent on this roster. This is not some sort of fucking rebuild job. We need an experienced coach, who can come in, knows how to take control of a football program, motivates and develops the players, and wins championships. He proved in first season that he can do it and is on his way to a second.

GFY.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'd rather have Petersen. DeRuyter has had one really good season. Petersen won 10+ his first seven years in the same conference as DeRuyter. This year, in his worst year, he went 8-4.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,128
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I'm never that interested in a total record, but more the defensive metrics as compared to his predecessor. Where have his defenses improved? What about offense? Are there common opponents?
  • Options
    Haid_D_SalaamiHaid_D_Salaami Member Posts: 541
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    DeRuyter and Peterson both coach in the MWC.....a watered down MWC at that.

Mendenhall
    Whittingham
    Patterson

all guys that were hot names before they stepped outside the new WAC. Hasn't worked out so well. That said....they're both higher up the evolutionary ladder that Nuss imo...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mendenhall
    Whittingham
    Patterson

all guys that were hot names before they stepped outside the new WAC. Hasn't worked out so well. That said....they're both higher up the evolutionary ladder that Nuss imo...

Good point. Only thing I could rebut that would be that Urban Meyer was a MWC coach as well. All hires have risk. I don't think we have a perfect candidate after Mora. That said, we can still get a good coach.

• Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Deruyter is VERY good with the media. Very charasmatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTjnDdt3Aqw
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Mendenhall
    Whittingham
    Patterson

Good point. Only thing I could rebut that would be that Urban Meyer was a MWC coach as well. All hires have risk. I don't think we have a perfect candidate after Mora. That said, we can still get a good coach.

Urban Meyer came from Bowling Green ... where he took over a 2-9 team ... then he took over a 5-6 Utah.

His body of work was much wider, and he didn't take over ideal situations.

Petersen excites me about as much as a gonorrhea test.
  • Options
    MelloDawg said:

I'm never that interested in a total record, but more the defensive metrics as compared to his predecessor. Where have his defenses improved? What about offense? Are there common opponents?

- Fresno State had ranked 111th or worse in turnovers gained in the six previous seasons before DeRuyter's arrival and tied for dead last in the nation in 2011 with only nine take-aways. In one season in DeRuyter's 3-4 defense, Fresno State had 35 take-aways in the regular season to rank fifth nationally.

- At Texas A&M as Def. Coord., the 2010 team improved fifty spots in the national rankings for total defense, rising to No. 55 in the country.

- In 2011, Texas A&M led the nation with 51 sacks and the Aggies were second in the Big 12 by only allowing 106.0 rushing yards per game.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'd give him 15 games. But he'd be on double secret probation day 1 and i'd still reduce UWs income by $4500.
  • Options

Mendenhall
    Whittingham
    Patterson

Don James was a Mid-American Conf. coach before he came to UW and looked how that turned out.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mendenhall
    Whittingham
    Patterson

Don James was a Mid-American Conf. coach before he came to UW and looked how that turned out.

Yep, that was basically my point. You can cherry pick coaches from small conferences that suck, but you can also cherry pick it the other way. Coaching hires are gambles.

• Options
    ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

MelloDawg said:

- Fresno State had ranked 111th or worse in turnovers gained in the six previous seasons before DeRuyter's arrival and tied for dead last in the nation in 2011 with only nine take-aways. In one season in DeRuyter's 3-4 defense, Fresno State had 35 take-aways in the regular season to rank fifth nationally.

- At Texas A&M as Def. Coord., the 2010 team improved fifty spots in the national rankings for total defense, rising to No. 55 in the country.

- In 2011, Texas A&M led the nation with 51 sacks and the Aggies were second in the Big 12 by only allowing 106.0 rushing yards per game.
    Didn't know he was the aTm DC before...

Look how their defense has fallen off the map in the last two years.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    DeRuyter has to be one of the top 2 or 3 candidates at this point, if not the top one.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Looks good, sign him up. Top 3
  • Options
    Haid_D_SalaamiHaid_D_Salaami Member Posts: 541
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1

DeRuyter has to be one of the top 2 or 3 candidates at this point, if not the top one.

The top candidate left who's realistic anyway. I like Craig Bohl more but he probably has his eye on that upcoming Hoosker opening...

• Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,210
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    If its DeRuyter we won't know for a week ... He has the Mountain Worst Championshit Saturday.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    topdawgnc said:

Mendenhall
    Whittingham
    Patterson

Urban Meyer came from Bowling Green ... where he took over a 2-9 team ... then he took over a 5-6 Utah.

positive or negative?

• Options

topdawgnc said:

Mendenhall
    Whittingham
    Patterson

positive or negative?

Somebody likes Q-tips too much...
  • Options
    - Coached 2010 Butkus Award Winner, Von Miller
  • Options
    DeLarryDeLarry Member Posts: 230
    Testing 1 First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

...and that is worth exactly zero wins.
    priapism said:

• Options
    DeLarry said:

...and that is worth exactly zero wins.

priapism said:

Why Kiffin with better win % was fired and why Sark with shitty % was hired.