Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Who will be the hated player for 2019?

13»

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    Bubushka will still somehow hold onto the Crown.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Houhusky said:

Picking someone most people aren't mentioning....

Safety McKinney

He got fucking torched in the Rose bowl.... took poor angles, missed tackles, had blown coverages. Looked like Tripper Johnson was back there.

I know it was his first start, but it did not look good.

McKinney played significant snaps in every game last year. So if you didn't notice him until the Rose Bowl he must have been doing fine.

It did seem like big plays kept being made right in front of him but most of these were either due to our defensive formation putting him in a bad spot or someone else missing their responsibility. Going through the big plays/touchdowns:

Fourth & 1 conversion: Mike Weber run for 19 yards on 4th and 1- McKinney looks bad but he was put in a bad spot by a poor defensive call and a good offensive call.

They are in a jumbo package with 6 OL and an HB/FB. We are in a 4-2-5 shaded to the strong side. Their slot WR goes in motion before the snap and becomes a pitch option/blocker for a ZR/Run-pass option going to the weak side of our formation.

Our formation and their pre-snap motion takes 4 players out of the play before it even starts- two safeties are deep, Myles Bryant covering nobody in the slot on the strong side, and Benning who they basically give the outside gap so he feels great about getting to the pocket after the play is already going the other way.

This allows the OSU OL to double team both our weakside DE and DT and still have the HBack leading the charge. He smartly goes to the next level and takes out Wellington leaving McKinney to hold the edge against Haskins/Weber on the ZR with the WR in front. He has no chance there. And that is how you end up with Weber vs JoJo in the open field which, predictably, doesn't work out well for us leading to a 19 yard gain.

First TD: we only rush 3. Corners and slot are in man with Jojo and McKinney over the top. McKinney does a weird delay blitz that he appears late on if this was designed BUT he wasn't getting home anyway with 5 OL and a RB to block 3 + blitzer and

-you could throw a blanket over Myles Bryant, Wellington, and BBK in the middle of the field with no OSU player within 10 yards. Completely useless. If BBK drops back two more feet he has an INT.
    -Bryant lets Parris run right by him and decides he'd rather hang out with his friend BBK than cover OSU's most dangerous receiver
    -JoJo was both out of position in shading to the WR in the corner of the end zone who was already well covered and then is late in reacting to a WR breaking free uncovered right in front of him.

Second TD:

Another situation where McKinney gets hung out to dry that wasn't actually his fault.

OSU is in a 4 WR/1 RB set. #14 in the slot on the strong side runs a drag route across the middle leaving Parris all alone on the strong side with three receivers crammed together in the end zone on the weak side.

The RB drifts out of the backfield and is wide open in the flat on the strong side.

Miller is in coverage on Campbell with Bryant there as well.

Both Miller and Bryant (and BBK) then bite down on the RB as Haskins with all the time in the world facing a 3 man rush steps up in the pocket.

Leaving Campbell free and McKinney two steps too late.

This was bad communication between Miller and Bryant. No reason for them both to bite- one should have stayed with Parris (probably Miller.) McKinney couldn't cheat too much because he had to be aware of the three WRs to his left and expect that one of them would likely be coming across into his area of responsibility.

Third TD:

OSU 1st and 10 from the 1 after going 56 yards in 5 plays.

Not sure if this is a genuine RPO or a fake but McKinney is holding the edge and stuck between respecting the zone read and covering Berry coming out of the backfield. Similar to the 4th down play transcribed earlier- good play call by OSU against our defense gives them a 2 on 1 that they should win every time.

Even if you put this one on McKinney- this was a 1 yard touchdown after 4 9+yard plays in :40 all of which were due to breakdowns somewhere else.

Fourth TD:

This was a running TD but it was set up by a 34 yard pass to Hill who victimized BBK and Wellington.

Here's what I saw... Let me help with some gifs

https://gfycat.com/thatkeeneidolonhelvum
    Play is McKinney safety blitz. result 1st TD OSU: McKinney is confused presnap, you can see him looking to the sideline and Jojo, late to figure out his assignment, way too deep, and putting in his mouth guard after the ball is snapped... yes Jojo missed the coverage assignment.

https://gfycat.com/scrawnycalculatingarchaeopteryx
    Play is McKinney single high safety, CBs playing outside leverage. Result 2nd TD OSU: McKinney's only responsibility on this play is not to get beat on the WR post or a slot go route. Offense's right is running a little levels concept away from McKinney. Haskin absolutely stares down his only option (the post) once he sees UW is covering everything to his right. This is a play where Rapp grabs an INT if he is in. McKinney floats way to far away from the middle of the field, towards where he is no help, when Haskin turns his vision McKinney absolutely plants his feet flat and freezes, and then is late to react.

https://gfycat.com/darksecondarychameleon
    Here is the 1 yard play you talked about. McKinney responsibility is the outside shoulder of 13 as edge contain or flat protection. Results OSU 3rd TD. Yeah its a difficult play for a college safety, McKinney got caught looking. He has very little responsibility to stop the RB dive on any possible inside hand-off.

OSU 3 TDs, 3 all around McKinney.

Where you see unfortunate situations or tough spots I see good OSU coaching picking on one of the weaker defensive players in that game.

2nd HALF was way quieter (OSU shut it down)

https://gfycat.com/agedarctickitten
    This is just McKinney being a little bit soft to start the 2nd half on back to back plays, the second one a safety blitz... maybe a bit nitpicky, the completed pass isnt his fault, but whatever, Ill include it because i saw it while skimming.

https://gfycat.com/jovialdecentclownanemonefish
    Here is one of his two tackles for the game...

https://gfycat.com/creamyaptboar
    good read, good contain from his position (i guess), kinda pusses out on finishing the play when he has the angle and space to make a play in the backfield.

Nothing worth noting for the last 6:30 of the game.

I dont see good Safety play here. You would probably struggle to find 2 decisively positive plays from McKinney all game. He often wasn't around the ball on running plays and when plays came his way via passes they generally werent well played by him. He was blitzed ~4 times and looked like he was going 75% every time. He might be good next year, the Rose bowl did not inspire confidence.

Can someone like @GrundleStiltzkin who has a little bit of tech knowledge please let me know how to embed gfy gifs on this forum? TIA
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,146
    Definitely will be an offensive player or Hamdan. I'll say Ty Jones.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I'm not interested in getting too critical on McKinney at this point. How early/known it was that Rapp wasn't playing is a giant ? and McKinney while playing during the season never had the number of snaps against an opponent like Ohio State. I'm willing to chalk that up to a learning experience and re-evaluate this year.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if McKinney got passed in the depth chart as there is a ton of talent surrounding him and if those types of plays are symptomatic of more than a one off type of situation then someone will win the job from him.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    The slow white guy
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

Safety McKinney

He got fucking torched in the Rose bowl.... took poor angles, missed tackles, had blown coverages. Looked like Tripper Johnson was back there.

McKinney played significant snaps in every game last year. So if you didn't notice him until the Rose Bowl he must have been doing fine.

It did seem like big plays kept being made right in front of him but most of these were either due to our defensive formation putting him in a bad spot or someone else missing their responsibility. Going through the big plays/touchdowns:

Fourth & 1 conversion: Mike Weber run for 19 yards on 4th and 1- McKinney looks bad but he was put in a bad spot by a poor defensive call and a good offensive call.

They are in a jumbo package with 6 OL and an HB/FB. We are in a 4-2-5 shaded to the strong side. Their slot WR goes in motion before the snap and becomes a pitch option/blocker for a ZR/Run-pass option going to the weak side of our formation.

Our formation and their pre-snap motion takes 4 players out of the play before it even starts- two safeties are deep, Myles Bryant covering nobody in the slot on the strong side, and Benning who they basically give the outside gap so he feels great about getting to the pocket after the play is already going the other way.

This allows the OSU OL to double team both our weakside DE and DT and still have the HBack leading the charge. He smartly goes to the next level and takes out Wellington leaving McKinney to hold the edge against Haskins/Weber on the ZR with the WR in front. He has no chance there. And that is how you end up with Weber vs JoJo in the open field which, predictably, doesn't work out well for us leading to a 19 yard gain.

First TD: we only rush 3. Corners and slot are in man with Jojo and McKinney over the top. McKinney does a weird delay blitz that he appears late on if this was designed BUT he wasn't getting home anyway with 5 OL and a RB to block 3 + blitzer and

-you could throw a blanket over Myles Bryant, Wellington, and BBK in the middle of the field with no OSU player within 10 yards. Completely useless. If BBK drops back two more feet he has an INT.
    -Bryant lets Parris run right by him and decides he'd rather hang out with his friend BBK than cover OSU's most dangerous receiver
    -JoJo was both out of position in shading to the WR in the corner of the end zone who was already well covered and then is late in reacting to a WR breaking free uncovered right in front of him.

Second TD:

Another situation where McKinney gets hung out to dry that wasn't actually his fault.

OSU is in a 4 WR/1 RB set. #14 in the slot on the strong side runs a drag route across the middle leaving Parris all alone on the strong side with three receivers crammed together in the end zone on the weak side.

The RB drifts out of the backfield and is wide open in the flat on the strong side.

Miller is in coverage on Campbell with Bryant there as well.

Both Miller and Bryant (and BBK) then bite down on the RB as Haskins with all the time in the world facing a 3 man rush steps up in the pocket.

Leaving Campbell free and McKinney two steps too late.

This was bad communication between Miller and Bryant. No reason for them both to bite- one should have stayed with Parris (probably Miller.) McKinney couldn't cheat too much because he had to be aware of the three WRs to his left and expect that one of them would likely be coming across into his area of responsibility.

Third TD:

OSU 1st and 10 from the 1 after going 56 yards in 5 plays.

Not sure if this is a genuine RPO or a fake but McKinney is holding the edge and stuck between respecting the zone read and covering Berry coming out of the backfield. Similar to the 4th down play transcribed earlier- good play call by OSU against our defense gives them a 2 on 1 that they should win every time.

Even if you put this one on McKinney- this was a 1 yard touchdown after 4 9+yard plays in :40 all of which were due to breakdowns somewhere else.

Fourth TD:

This was a running TD but it was set up by a 34 yard pass to Hill who victimized BBK and Wellington.

Here's what I saw... Let me help with some gifs

https://gfycat.com/thatkeeneidolonhelvum
    Play is McKinney safety blitz. result 1st TD OSU: McKinney is confused presnap, you can see him looking to the sideline and Jojo, late to figure out his assignment, way too deep, and putting in his mouth guard after the ball is snapped... yes Jojo missed the coverage assignment.

https://gfycat.com/scrawnycalculatingarchaeopteryx
    Play is McKinney single high safety, CBs playing outside leverage. Result 2nd TD OSU: McKinney's only responsibility on this play is not to get beat on the WR post or a slot go route. Offense's right is running a little levels concept away from McKinney. Haskin absolutely stares down his only option (the post) once he sees UW is covering everything to his right. This is a play where Rapp grabs an INT if he is in. McKinney floats way to far away from the middle of the field, towards where he is no help, when Haskin turns his vision McKinney absolutely plants his feet flat and freezes, and then is late to react.

https://gfycat.com/darksecondarychameleon
    Here is the 1 yard play you talked about. McKinney responsibility is the outside shoulder of 13 as edge contain or flat protection. Results OSU 3rd TD. Yeah its a difficult play for a college safety, McKinney got caught looking. He has very little responsibility to stop the RB dive on any possible inside hand-off.

OSU 3 TDs, 3 all around McKinney.

Where you see unfortunate situations or tough spots I see good OSU coaching picking on one of the weaker defensive players in that game.

2nd HALF was way quieter (OSU shut it down)

https://gfycat.com/agedarctickitten
    This is just McKinney being a little bit soft to start the 2nd half on back to back plays, the second one a safety blitz... maybe a bit nitpicky, the completed pass isnt his fault, but whatever, Ill include it because i saw it while skimming.

https://gfycat.com/jovialdecentclownanemonefish
    Here is one of his two tackles for the game...

https://gfycat.com/creamyaptboar
    good read, good contain from his position (i guess), kinda pusses out on finishing the play when he has the angle and space to make a play in the backfield.

Nothing worth noting for the last 6:30 of the game.

I dont see good Safety play here. You would probably struggle to find 2 decisively positive plays from McKinney all game. He often wasn't around the ball on running plays and when plays came his way via passes they generally werent well played by him. He was blitzed ~4 times and looked like he was going 75% every time. He might be good next year, the Rose bowl did not inspire confidence.

Can someone like @GrundleStiltzkin who has a little bit of tech knowledge please let me know how to embed gfy gifs on this forum? TIA
    These two posts are why you need to spend your $129 a year here and why the 24/7 UW football site is a morgue.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Definitely will be an offensive player or Hamdan. I'll say Ty Jones.

Good call. I definitely hated him last year.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    So we agree the first TD was on Jojo.

Second TD disagree I say 80% Miller/20% McKinney.

Third TD we agree its obviously McKinney's responsibility but a tough spot asking him to hold the edge and cover Berry. I put that one on the coaches.
  • ArtBrilesArtBriles Member Posts: 167
    edited June 2019
    Tequilla said:

I'm not interested in getting too critical on McKinney at this point. How early/known it was that Rapp wasn't playing is a giant ? and McKinney while playing during the season never had the number of snaps against an opponent like Ohio State. I'm willing to chalk that up to a learning experience and re-evaluate this year.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if McKinney got passed in the depth chart as there is a ton of talent surrounding him and if those types of plays are symptomatic of more than a one off type of situation then someone will win the job from him.

Are you interested in getting a tiny bit critical? How critical is too critical?
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Third TD we agree its obviously McKinney's responsibility but a tough spot asking him to hold the edge and cover Berry. I put that one on the coaches.

"So we agree the first TD was on Jojo."

The focus isnt on why touchdowns were scored, but on McKinney's quality of play throughout the game... but sure

"Second TD disagree I say 80% Miller/20% McKinney."

Miller is in a zone with heavy outside leverage, its the exact same coverage leverage Byron is running on the other side of the field. There is no way Miller is responsible for covering the post route on the wide side of the field while in outside leverage and McKinney as the single high safety.

"asking him to hold the edge and cover Berry. I put that one on the coaches."

He isnt asked to hold the POA edge at all, thats what Potato is there for. His responsibility is soft outside contain if the QB pulls, a RB outside run to the short side, or TE/FB flat. He froze and got sucked in on the dive action. I dont think there is a play/scheme where McKinney is NOT supposed to be "attacking" the outside shoulder of 13 regardless of what play the offense called. McKinney never even looks at 13, instead he stands still and freezes in no mans land.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    Houhusky said:

"So we agree the first TD was on Jojo."

The focus isnt on why touchdowns were scored, but on McKinney's quality of play throughout the game... but sure

"Second TD disagree I say 80% Miller/20% McKinney."

Miller is in a zone with heavy outside leverage, its the exact same coverage leverage Byron is running on the other side of the field. There is no way Miller is responsible for covering the post route on the wide side of the field while in outside leverage and McKinney as the single high safety.

"asking him to hold the edge and cover Berry. I put that one on the coaches."

He isnt asked to hold the POA edge at all, thats what Potato is there for. His responsibility is soft outside contain if the QB pulls, a RB outside run to the short side, or TE/FB flat. He froze and got sucked in on the dive action. I dont think there is a play/scheme where McKinney is NOT supposed to be "attacking" the outside shoulder of 13 regardless of what play the offense called. McKinney never even looks at 13, instead he stands still and freezes in no mans land.
    Well Potato isn't holding the edge but yeah outside contain is I guess the terminology I was looking for. How is he not supposed to "freeze" when he is responsible for Haskins pulling and 13 in the flat. Its a scheme problem for UW or good playcall by OSU.

Back to 2nd TD I have a hard time believing our corners are instructed to stay in their zone when the only receiver anywhere near them runs a post to wide open end zone.

McKinney was a little slow and took a bad angle so yeah not great. Good throw by Haskins.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    Houhusky said:

Safety McKinney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2jfXozqCM#t=58

10 years on, that try hard leap and dive at a ball 8 yards over his head still makes me smile.