Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest 7th album in rock music history?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Greatest 7th album in rock music history? 19 votes

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
5%
greenblood 1 vote
The Beatles - Revolver
31%
BennyBeaveralumni94chuckdfleaEl_KUSMChawk 6 votes
Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
0%
Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
31%
SoutherndawgKaepskneeNEsnake12YellowSnowGwadGilbystaint 6 votes
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
10%
huskyhooliganHHusky 2 votes
U2 - Achtung Baby
10%
whlinderbiak1 2 votes
Queen - Jazz
5%
Mad_Son 1 vote
Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
0%
The Kinks - Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
0%
Write-in Vote
5%
LebamDawg 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    The herd starts to thin somewhat by the time you get to most artist's 7th albums. Zep's run was over with Presence, a decent but not great album. AC/DC never matched the heights of Back in Black ever again. Metallica was on the downward slide.

Of these records, Revolver stands as the most influential, rather easily. But from a matter of personal taste, Beggar's Banquet is a top 5 rock album of all time for Yella Piss. Also, it marks the start of the Stone's epic 4 album run from 1968- 72 when the were The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    I think it is a tie between Revolver and Beggar's Banquet

Love Factory Girl btw

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The Beatles - Revolver
    I love this album. I'd like to split my vote between it and Beggar's Banquet, but since I can't.

• Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdQgYPr07Y

if you get off on this kind of stuff
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

I love this album. I'd like to split my vote between it and Beggar's Banquet, but since I can't.

What next? A fly rod?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Beatles - Revolver
    This one should be a blowout.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I won't begrudge a man for going with Revolver, but not so fast on the blowout. Beggar's was just about as influential. I mean it was really the first rock record to so assertively fuse, country, delta blues and rock into one cohesive sound. And Street Fighting Man and Sympathy captured the turmoil of 1968 as well as any songs every recorded. I need to pull in Russian novel superiority guy @BearsWiin to get an easy Beggar's Banquet vote.
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Between this and Blonde on Blonde for me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gwad said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdQgYPr07Y

if you get off on this kind of stuff

I loved watching this documentary in my youth. And they were basically a 4 person group at this point as Brian Jones was pretty much dead and Mick Taylor was a year out. Apparently Ry Cooder played some on Beggar's and he is a GOD of course.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Blonde on Blonde is legendary too. 1st legit double album by a rock artist.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    The Beatles - Revolver

Even moar legendary

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Even moar legendary

*Rock music is not R&B music
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Beatles - Revolver

chuck said:

I won't begrudge a man for going with Revolver, but not so fast on the blowout. Beggar's was just about as influential. I mean it was really the first rock record to so assertively fuse, country, delta blues and rock into one cohesive sound. And Street Fighting Man and Sympathy captured the turmoil of 1968 as well as any songs every recorded. I need to pull in Russian novel superiority guy @BearsWiin to get an easy Beggar's Banquet vote.
    I like to exaggerate the strength of my opinion when I have one. It's what I like to do.

I think Revolver is my favorite Beatles but I readily acknowledge that my favorites change day to day. The strength of the tracks from John and George really stand out on this one. Paul is kind of off on a tangent on Revolver and not really making rock and roll songs. I actually dont care for Got to get you into my life or Good day sunshine at all...too featherweight for me. Eleanor Rigby and especially For no one are strong efforts with surprisingly heavy themes though.

Everything John did on Revolver absolutely kicks ass. Taxman and Love you too rock. And your bird can sing is among my favorite Beatles tunes and the first one I ever got a perfect score on Beatles Rock Band (hard setting) so there's that in this album's favor too.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I like to exaggerate the strength of my opinion when I have one. It's what I like to do.

I think Revolver is my favorite Beatles but I readily acknowledge that my favorites change day to day. The strength of the tracks from John and George really stand out on this one. Paul is kind of off on a tangent on Revolver and not really making rock and roll songs. I actually dont care for Got to get you into my life or Good day sunshine at all...too featherweight for me. Eleanor Rigby and especially For no one are strong efforts with surprisingly heavy themes though.

Everything John did on Revolver absolutely kicks ass. Taxman and Love you too rock. And your bird can sing is among my favorite Beatles tunes and the first one I ever got a perfect score on Beatles Rock Band (hard setting) so there's that in this album's favor too.
    John + Taxman made Revolver. The few weak cuts on the album are all Paul stuff. Eleanor Rigby ain't rock but it sure opened up the playbook.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Queen - Jazz

chuck said:

chuck said:

John + Taxman made Revolver. The few weak cuts on the album are all Paul stuff. Eleanor Rigby ain't rock but it sure opened up the playbook.
    Disagree. On what basis is that not rock? That's like saying the cranberries aren't rock.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its pop

Typical McCartney jibberish
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I voted.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Disagree. On what basis is that not rock? That's like saying the cranberries aren't rock.
    It's rock because the Beatles were a rock and roll band and the song appeared on a Beatle's album. But it wasn't a "rock" song since there was only vocals and string section.

Guess that's why they are the most important group of the rock era- i.e., the redefined what rock could be.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

I voted.

Correctly too I see.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    The Beatles - Revolver

Even moar legendary

*Rock music is not R&B music
    This is the Blond album category now.

Hth.