Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Best 5th album in rock history?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
The quality of the albums really starts to heat up when we get to many of the GOAT's fifth studio LP's. @dflea gets his due along with @Dennis_DeYoung ' s first ever purchase as pour, young fast strat kiddie in Kent. @BearsWiin rocks out at the Hotel California as the Eagles quit getting dis-respecked by me.

Best 5th album in rock history? 20 votes

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
0%
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
35%
SwayewhlinderSoutherndawggreenblooddfleaPurpleThrobberNEsnake12 7 votes
Dylan - Bringing it all Back Home
0%
U2 - The Joshua Tree
10%
BennyBeaverEl_K 2 votes
Eagles - Hotel California
10%
BearsWiinHHusky 2 votes
Who's Next
10%
YellowSnowGilbystaint 2 votes
Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
0%
Billy Joel - The Stranger
5%
Mad_Son 1 vote
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
15%
alumni94seatownfunkLebamDawg 3 votes
Write-in Vote
15%
RaceBannonchuckJoeEDangerously 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who's Next

An @Auburndawg power rankings tie

Who's Next - the best rock album top to bottom ever

Hotel California - the best song writing ever

Houses of the Holy - criminally underrated LZ classic. Suffered for following IV and Plant sounded like he had AIDS but the guitar work is all time

This has been the hardest round for me thus far. I love all these albums with the intensity of a thousand burning suns....with the exception of Hotel California, which has 3 or 4 great songs and then some that are just OK.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who's Next
    I add that The Stranger is probably the second greatest pop album of the late 70's and is only surpassed by Rumors.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'll fucking gut anybody who votes Joshua Tree. Walking through my dorm hallway freshman year at Berkeley, you could count on hearing Joshua Tree coming out of at least two rooms per floor, and Invisible Touch out of another two. FUUUUUUUUCK
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Who's Next
    Great list. I still suffer from Hotel California fatigue.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,462
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    chuck said:

It's hard to play favorites with Neil's earlier albums but I've always loved this one
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote

chuck said:

This is where is gets tricky with Neil Young in that he released a lot of new songs on live albums only- e.g., Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night, and Rust Never Sleeps. So while Time Fades Away isn't a true studio album, it's not the traditional "live" album either of previously recorded material. ATBJBS, On The Beach should be considered the 6th Neil Young album and not the 5th.

All true. The order is open to interpretation during that period anyways. Tonight's the Night was recorded and ready for release before On the Beach IIRC. I cant/couldn't remember all the details, but a quick Google search lists On the Beach as #5 so I went with it. Most days I'd list it as my top Neil album.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Grateful Dead - American Beauty
    Once again giving the Dead some love, but Who's Next is must likely one of the best albums ever and should win.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    This morning I was at the gym and this guy with a bionic arm was telling hot fitness trainer Jenny about the time he was at a Neil Young concert and they turned off his amplifier in the middle of Rockin in the Free World because of the 11pm local noise ordinance.

The fuck, I can't even go to the fucking gym without having to hear about how fuckingly great this whiny heron addict is
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who's Next
    BearsWiin said:

This morning I was at the gym and this guy with a bionic arm was telling hot fitness trainer Jenny about the time he was at a Neil Young concert and they turned off his amplifier in the middle of Rockin in the Free World because of the 11pm local noise ordinance.

The fuck, I can't even go to the fucking gym without having to hear about how fuckingly great this whiny heron addict is

I just got done with the lunch time C2 Erg piece in the built for a Model A Ford garage, and thought to myself how much I don't like listening to the Eagles wile exercising.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    BearsWiin said:

Young was never much of a druggy, was known to ask friends if a joint was "hard grass" before accepting it, and never fucked with heron...or heroin even.
  • Options
    Sorry, just assumed he was because some older mechanics that I used to work with as a teenager used to refer to him as Needle Young

Still don't like him
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    chuck said:

BearsWiin said:

Young was never much of a druggy, was known to ask friends if a joint was "hard grass" before accepting it, and never fucked with heron...or heroin even.
    Tonight's the Night is an anti heroin album

He hit the city and he lost his band
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    BearsWiin said:

We? are everywhere
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    By the way downloaded Time Fades Away this morning. I saw that tour too
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019
    Who's Next

chuck said:

BearsWiin said:

Tonight's the Night is an anti heroin album

He hit the city and he lost his band
    Steak house snake eyes french fries and I've lots of gas.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who's Next

By the way downloaded Time Fades Away this morning. I saw that tour too

Don't you wish that you could be here too?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    I'm in southeast LA lol