Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2019
    Doesn’t surprise me. Their original content ain’t cheap to produce, and I’m sure the licensing fees for premier movies must be expensive.

Oddly enough, if there is a potential fix, it might be having the company that created binge watching going retro and (gasp) releasing their shows on a *weekly* basis:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/netflix-should-take-a-cue-from-game-of-thrones-ditch-binge-watching.html
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doesn’t surprise me. Their original content ain’t cheap to produce, and I’m sure the licensing fees for premier movies must be expensive.

I’ve been wondering for a while how they make money. But what do I know? I would have bought Sear’s stock on @Dennis_DeYoung ’s advice.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,501
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Walt his dead and his company is run by the very Jews he hated. Allegedly.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I’ve been wondering for a while how they make money. But what do I know? I would have bought Sear’s stock on @Dennis_DeYoung ’s advice.
    That’s good advice. Word is once their holiday catalogs hit everyone’s mailboxes profits will be going through the roof!
    Payback is a bitch. The Sears mail order catalog was the Amazon of its day. Ask the folks at the general store.
    True dat. I used to love going through the holiday one every year and tear out the pages of what I wanted for Christmas.

Here’s a great archive of some of the past catalogs - some of them are pretty hysterical:

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Kmart was relevant too at some point
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

That’s good advice. Word is once their holiday catalogs hit everyone’s mailboxes profits will be going through the roof!
    So once everyone gets their reads down?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Local VHS rental stores got killed by Blockbuster. Blockbuster got killed by Netflix. Disney + Hulu + AP killed Neflix.

Standard TV got killed by cable. Netflix killed cable. Disney + Hulu + AP killed Neflix.

Cycle of life and shit.

In other news, Amazon and Disney (which owns most of Hulu btw) will own the entire world soon.
  • Options
    Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,310
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Payback is a bitch. The Sears mail order catalog was the Amazon of its day. Ask the folks at the general store.
    True dat. I used to love going through the holiday one every year and tear out the pages of what I wanted for Christmas.

Here’s a great archive of some of the past catalogs - some of them are pretty hysterical:

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/
    I remember coming of age during the tail end of the Sears catalog era and, uh, finding some alone time with the underwear section. Contrast that with my son, who will probably jerk off for the first time to an 8K VR video of Germans fisting and shitting on each other that he'll accidentally stumble upon while doing a search for monarch butterflies for a school project. Strange world...
    Link? Axin for a fren
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    NEsnake12 said:

Swaye said:

Local VHS rental stores got killed by Blockbuster. Blockbuster got killed by Netflix. Disney + Hulu + AP killed Neflix.

Standard TV got killed by cable. Netflix killed cable. Disney + Hulu + AP killed Neflix.

Cycle of life and shit.

In other news, Amazon and Disney (which owns most of Hulu btw) will own the entire world soon.

Amazon needs to get on the stick relative to their own content. It's too up and down - good shows like Goliath, then some real shit.

They've kind of latched into some solid Aussie programming, though. Which is nice because aussies like to get naked and are hot.

They’ve got some decent shit for sure. I’m a big fan of The Man in the High Castle
    Solid show.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NEsnake12 said:

Swaye said:

Cycle of life and shit.

Amazon needs to get on the stick relative to their own content. It's too up and down - good shows like Goliath, then some real shit.

They've kind of latched into some solid Aussie programming, though. Which is nice because aussies like to get naked and are hot.

They’ve got some decent shit for sure. I’m a big fan of The Man in the High Castle
    Haven't been able to get into it. I like the alt history genre, but this is just way to out there for me. Germans nuking DC? Come on - they weren't even close to getting the bomb. We were the only country on Earth with anywhere near the industrial capacity get one built in 3 years time in the midst of fighting a world war.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:

Swaye said:

Cycle of life and shit.

Haven't been able to get into it. I like the alt history genre, but this is just way to out there for me. Germans nuking DC? Come on - they weren't even close to getting the bomb. We were the only country on Earth with anywhere near the industrial capacity get one built in 3 years time in the midst of fighting a world war.
    The acting by the lead villains is phenomenal and what keeps me hooked. Especially for John Smith.

I get that the historical plausibility is iffy... but you have to kind of just roll with it
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Rufus Sewell has done an absolutely marvelous job as John Smith

Glad I bought Disney at $32/share
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Rufus Sewell has done an absolutely marvelous job as John Smith

Glad Mrs BearsWinn bought Disney at $32/share