Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Roman Wilson, 2020 4* WR, Honolulu (St. Louis), HI (Offered)

13»

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Roman Wilson or Gee Scott? Gun to your head.

Roman Wilson appears to have amazing measurables but I'm unsure of his actual football projection and production.

Gee Jr is a fucking baller and if he sticks with Ohio State then they have a good one
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think John Ross proves that you can coach a 4.3 guy into a complete receiver, but I've never heard of any staff making a 4.72 great receiver into a 4.3 complete receiver. Some here talk about looking for elite physical traits. It was pretty cool having the fastest player in the country on the squawd. Could have (probably?) had it again with Wilson and saw how it shook out.

At the very least, big dick quarterback like Eason/Huard and 4.3 on the outside = deep safeties and LOTS of open space for everyone else. Roman Wilson would have been an amazing complementary piece to McMillan. Those two and Nacua on the field at the same time some day would be downright unfair.

FWIW, Odunze seems the nice middle ground of bigger, more complete, and damned near as fast as Wilson. It shows in how constantly open he is. That would probably be the safest bet at this point as the #2 in this class. For once, the WR room is loaded with big, physical receivers. It needs a burner who can take the top off and force big cushions.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2019
    Odunze ran a 4.55 and a 3.99 shuttle.

McMillan ran a 4.44 at the Husky camp. He’s a legit 4.4 guy.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Rome and McMillan would make me cry with joy!

Hi @Shane
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Based off of the tenth or two drop for every Husky player between their combine and the NFL's, I'm thinking McMillan's 4.44 was hand timed, where's wouldn't Odunze's be laser timed? They're probably pretty similar speedwise.

Which is fucking awesome. Didn't realize McMillan was that fast.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2019

Based off of the tenth or two drop for every Husky player between their combine and the NFL's, I'm thinking McMillan's 4.44 was hand timed, where's wouldn't Odunze's be laser timed? They're probably pretty similar speedwise.

Which is fucking awesome. Didn't realize McMillan was that fast.
    McMillan was lasered at 4.48 before pulling his hammy in track. Puka is blazing fast at 4.53.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He committed to Michigan anyways ...
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Depends on what other receivers I had committed. 81% it’s Gee Scott. But if I landed Johnny Wilson, I’d want someone who could take the ruth off a defense like Wilson. If I had Jalen McMillan committed I wouldn’t want a pore man’s McMillan in my class over a catch radius all-star like Scott.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Some of you put way too much emphasis on 40 times and track results.

Yeah, like everyone runs in straight lines
  • Options
    ThoroughDawgThoroughDawg Member Posts: 186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

LV
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

This. Especially when they are still developing. People make 4.4 seems like you are fast enough to break the sound barrier and at 4.7 you a couldn't outrun a sloth.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People dont put way too much emphasis on speed and quickness measurables. Pointing them out and factoring them into the equation, along with all of the other measurable AND observable traits, is just common sense.

If a HS kid is already running sub 4.5, or 4.3 as in this guy's case, it means his speed is already a known. Theres nothing murky or uncertain about it and you dont have to speculate on whether or not it can be improved. We've all seen enough to know that 4.7 receivers, if they dont improve their speed in college, struggle to get open. Gee Scott, if he doesn't improve his speed, will struggle to separate. It doesn't mean he wont be good, but it will make it hard for him to be elite in spite of his other qualities.

Wilson isn't going to be an elite player, but least you already know he has the jets to get away.

All that aside, I'd take Scott over Roman Wilson. Johnny Wilson over Roman too. I do like me some 4.3 speed in the depth though.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

Those times are ONLY used to match with film. Film first and then see if the times check out. There’s no way Cam Williams at 4.77 is slower than Kourt Williams at 4.65 and it’s prolly whoever had the best trainer. Cam was as good if not better in every other test while focusing on QB midway through his JR year.

Jalen and Rome are fast on film. Then you see the times and you can believe it. Puka is just as fast a half second is only so important when you’re usually never running 40 yards in a straight line.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Shuttles > sprints
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Shuttles > sprints

Taylor Rapp concurs.