Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

So I'm watching Chernobyl

On HBO. I'm suspecting that the coal and solar lobbies, and perhaps the Biden campaign, backed the production. Nuclear power and communism don't look very good after episode one.

It was engrossing during the first ep despite some melodrama, and it's on the lower end of production value as HBO miniseries go. I'm still looking forward to the next episode.

I know you all were waiting for my thoughts and wanted you to be the sure to know.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,830
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Damn these threads that are half Shoppe, half Tug!!!
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Real talk, I think there is some Tug agenda subtext in the miniseries, at least in the first episode. Lots of skin melting, lots of gray ash falling out of the sky on to babies and forlorn Russian women. But I'll LIPO.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The Russian nuclear technology were pretty shitty back then. I would hope that HBO accurately portraying the sentiments of the time wouldn't get them accused of having an anti nuclear agenda.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

On HBO. I'm suspecting that the coal and solar lobbies, and perhaps the Biden campaign, backed the production. Nuclear power and communism don't look very good after episode one.

It was engrossing during the first ep despite some melodrama, and it's on the lower end of production value as HBO miniseries go. I'm still looking forward to the next episode.

I know you all were waiting for my thoughts and wanted you to be the sure to know.

Starring Gene Hackman?
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2019

The Russian nuclear technology were pretty shitty back then. I would hope that HBO accurately portraying the sentiments of the time wouldn't get them accused of having an anti nuclear agenda.

Agree, the portrayal of what happened at the time and the reasons it happened seems accurate. However people will inevitably draw that forward to today. We shall see if HBO boosts that along. Furthermore, ep 1 sets the table for thousands or millions dying. That's not what happened and I hope to see the series use that surprising outcome for effect.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,756

Does that mean lots of nudity? Or none?

Standard Supporter

None. Plenty of throbbing flesh, though not the kind you're looking for.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Maybe he has a blistered flesh fetish. Ever think of that?
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Maybe he has a blistered flesh fetish. Ever think of that?
    We must never judge.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Agree, the portrayal of what happened at the time and the reasons it happened seems accurate. However people will inevitably draw that forward to today. We shall see if HBO boosts that along. Furthermore, ep 1 sets the table for thousands or millions dying. That's not what happened and I hope to see the series use that surprising outcome for effect.
    We? can't help how FS people are. HBO might have an agenda, LIPO EWIWBI
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,078
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dixie Lee Raydiation and the failure of WPPS would be more germaine to our times.

That was the tipping point away from the miracle of nuclear power to its demise

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl sealed the grave
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I am FOR nuclear power.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Dixie Lee Raydiation and the failure of WPPS would be more germaine to our times.

That was the tipping point away from the miracle of nuclear power to its demise

Three Mile Island and Chernobyl sealed the grave

You can count on Washington Government. actually you can't