Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Today in JIVE ASS News

1234568»

Comments

• RubberfistRubberfist Member Posts: 1,373
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

This guy should do stand up comedy.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This guy should do stand up comedy.
    That's some dark shit, dude.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Passion said:

Swaye said:

I am glad they are hitting the "draft" branding hard. Said this in the other thread but it amazes me with how detailed and on top of things everything about this program is, that our recruiting has taken 5 years to finally try to get messaging right and on point. Feels like Pete just doesn't like recruiting, so that is the one ad hoc thing about this program.

But new branding centered on B4L and Come to UW to Get Drafted seems like a strategy that will work.

#scoducks#wareagle

I have always hated OKG. OKG is a Boise thing. It's 'we don't get our pick of the litter, so we have to do EXTREME vetting'.

Because at Boise, you had to really make sure you were homing in on guys who would be productive past their rating, etc.

At UW - we are recruiting basically the same kids everyone else is. How hard is it really to scout Bijan Robinson or Sav'ell? Are they OKGs?!?!

I mean - they have superlative talent. That's why we got our shit pushed in by tOSU, Penn State and Bama. We need guys like that. It doesn't take some insane OKG-meter to figure out who we need.

B4L is Washington branding (I believe Pete came up with it when he came to UW) and it suits their current mission much better. Instead of having the undercurrent of 'THIS IS THE HARDEST THING YOU WILL EVER DO - IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GO TO OREGON' in our recruiting message, B4L is more 'we will take kids that can go anywhere, and do something with them nowhere else will do'.

OKG is about Pete and Co. prizing slow strategy values and (even though they don't realize it) selecting for obedient, beta kids (yes sir, no sir!!).

B4L is about 'hey, we can get kids like Kevin King (not that he was some extreme knucklehead or anything, but almost certainly a kid we would not recruit now) and make them into big time players and give them a real foundation in life'.

I have ALWAYS felt the tragedy of the OKG recruiting approach was that the kids who desperately NEED B4L won't get it because you are selling it in such a way that it turns off everyone who could REALLY benefit from it. Then we end up preaching to the converted and getting a bunch of beta kids. Nothing wrong with them, but we need a MIX.

As I said on Ep #49 - I NEED B4L!!! I DO!!!! My rich friends who grew up in Magnolia and went to O'Dea don't need it. It's fine for them... but I have ALWAYS felt that Pete's fire for college football will burn brighter and longer if he realizes he has an opportunity to change the lives of a bunch of fast strategy kids who will be used up and spit out by Oregon, USC and whomever else.

I have always felt if Pete could really get in touch with that reality he would really prize his opportunity. And if he realized what a shit-show OKG is perception wise, and what a disaster their 'anti-hype/anti-fun' stance is, and how much it impedes his ability to CHANGE LIVES of kids who NEED it... he would drop it immediately.

White people are really sensitive about this stuff, but it's not that complicated...

For reasons that you will have to pay me to really get into (this is a LONG story)... fast strategy values are baked into black culture in America even if the people themselves are not fast strategy. This is the same in opposition about white people culture in America. In the south with all these meth head lunatics, I see white people talking about 'hard work' and all its virtues (even though Squirrel is not a particularly hard worker).

I love all you white people. Shout out to white people. There is nothing wrong with white people and SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS ARE WHITE!! I have always said, I don't want to eliminate white people from our program. I love Cade Otton and I love Josh Calvert.

But it's more about a message that is not INTENDED to be exclusionary, but ends up being that way.

That's why I really hope they take this rebrand seriously. I don't want to be Oregon. But just look at the team that won the Natty last year. They have fun, they are a bunch of JIVE ASSES... ...but if Pete honestly looks at the trajectory of Christian Wilkins' life and is able (PLEASE GOD) to realize that this OKG-branding, anti-fun/anti-hype approach will prevent UW from having stories like CW's, I know he would want to change it.

I seriously hope they do.
    Another well-thought-out post.

A few years ago I took the time to make posts like this...but then got banned from the website where I posted...Then I got married...Then I had a kid...Now I simply don't have the time nor the energy.

Keep up the fight.
    The struggle is real.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Passion said:

Our coaching staff has retooled their whole recruiting strategy and called for a hard re-brand on OKG (you can see the comically obvious/reactionary rebrand play out on twitter). They are now going to try to emphasize B4L over OKG, but desperately want to show the world that OKG isn't racist and that people have fun at UW.

Pete is going hard after Smalls personally and it's not over.

Pete is apparently pissed that Taggart and Cristobal would stoop to this! ("How dare my enemies exploit my weaknesses in a billion dollar industry!?!?")

Unfortunately for 40% of white people here, we are going to continue to recruit black players even if they are JIVE ASSES and may now even try to emphasize it a bit.

Just what I'm hearing don't twist.

First a question: It’s not over because Pete says it’s not over? Or, it’s not over because Smalls says it’s not over?

Second, great post.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    Uh, that line has been used a million times here. #beoriginal
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Passion said:

Our coaching staff has retooled their whole recruiting strategy and called for a hard re-brand on OKG (you can see the comically obvious/reactionary rebrand play out on twitter). They are now going to try to emphasize B4L over OKG, but desperately want to show the world that OKG isn't racist and that people have fun at UW.

Pete is apparently pissed that Taggart and Cristobal would stoop to this! ("How dare my enemies exploit my weaknesses in a billion dollar industry!?!?")

Unfortunately for 40% of white people here, we are going to continue to recruit black players even if they are JIVE ASSES and may now even try to emphasize it a bit.

First a question: It’s not over because Pete says it’s not over? Or, it’s not over because Smalls says it’s not over?

Second, great post.
    Thought you were dead. Or was everyone just pretending you were dead?
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Passion said:

Second, great post.
    You were never born here turd. Post a thread, it's how you grow then inevitably die like Damone did.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Passion said:

Second, great post.
    You were never born here turd. Post a thread, it's how you grow then inevitably die like Damone did.
    Try again. This time in English.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019

Passion said:

Second, great post.
    Leave the higher level history discussion to the experts Pup.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter

Passion said:

Second, great post.
    It’s my official head cannon that after the Smalls news broke Pete gave a John Belushi-style pep talk in the coaches room about how “nothing is over until WE DECIDE IT IS!”

It’s the only way I cling to hope.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter
    Meek said:

Passion said:

Second, great post.
    It’s my official head cannon that after the Smalls news broke Pete gave a John Belushi-style pep talk in the coaches room about how “nothing is over until WE DECIDE IT IS!”

It’s the only way I cling to hope.
    nope... he apparently went into his office, closed the door and worked on a calisthenics routine for the UW staff fitness day.
    Why ya gotta crush my fantasies @Meek ?