Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

someone explain to me why Bush Hamdan should be our OC

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    One of the reasons I hated Babushka was his inability to recruit. It looks like Bush has the same issue. Last year's offense was fucking terrible. I just want us to be good at stuff.

With our talent this year on O, we should score tons. If we don't there are serious issues.

We have a guy who could be the #1 overall pick next spring... a guy who runs a 4.3 as a TB, Bryant and Otton are both super promising and a bunch of talent at WR. Oh, and an OL returning 5 starters from a P12 champ team.

This should produce a juggernaut. If it doesn't, something has to change.

But I will say that it seems like they're trying to simplify things and prevent some of the brain lock... the fact they know it's an issue makes this year even more critical. Can you fix something you know is broken?
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511

I'm willing to give it one more year and I give him some slack because of his work with the WRs in 2016 - that was incredible.

But so far, his recruiting has been shit and his offense has been beyond shit. I've heard he hated Jake, so we shall see..

The UW program that last 2 years was capable of winning the NY6 games but hamstrung by playcalling. Athletically, UW mostly belonged.

Pete saw the light in 2016 and brought in proven, tenured Tedford and the results were good. Smith and Bush were/are projects. Neither had the resume to back up the hiring. Which pretty much proves they are just Petersen yes men.
    Quit peddling the Tedford bullshit.
    It isn't bullshit. In the games that Tedford was here in 2016, we scored on average 2TDs more than in the games in 2016 when Tedford wasn't here (after he left for the Fresno job).

It could just be a sign that our offensive brain trust is close to getting it, but not all the way there. When Tedford was involved, he made the difference. When he was gone, we reverted to the same bullshit we've been seeing ever since.

I didn't like the Bush hire. I've been saying all along I'd rather that we steel away the OC from SDSU. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Horton

The year that UW lost to both Stanford and Zona State, SDCU beat them both.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Agree with pretty much all takes here.

The one thing that has me hopeful is that as soon as the season was over, Pete talked about the fact that the offense didn’t score enough and it needed to be simplified.

Then before spring ball Bush said that at times he called the game too conservatively and wanted to lean on the defense, and that he realized it in turn hurt the team.

Then during spring Adams has flat out said 3 times that the WR need to block their asses off and those who don’t won’t play, and that he is trying to get them in the mindset of attacking all the time.

Put it all together and it seems like their is an understanding that things need to change and quickly. More simple, less conservative, more attacking.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

The one thing that has me hopeful is that as soon as the season was over, Pete talked about the fact that the offense didn’t score enough and it needed to be simplified.

Then before spring ball Bush said that at times he called the game too conservatively and wanted to lean on the defense, and that he realized it in turn hurt the team.

Then during spring Adams has flat out said 3 times that the WR need to block their asses off and those who don’t won’t play, and that he is trying to get them in the mindset of attacking all the time.

Put it all together and it seems like their is an understanding that things need to change and quickly. More simple, less conservative, more attacking.

Sounds like we are working harder than ever. Offseason Natty contention official.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

Sounds like we are working harder than ever. Offseason Natty contention official.
    Pretty much.

But it’s better than going back to watch some film and make sure we understand ourselves better, aka, the offense works and it doesn’t need changes we just need to execute it better.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MisterEm said:

Doogles said:

Browning speed option at the goal line started the bender that sent me to rehab. Thanks Bush!

I was front row for that horseshit with @Gladstone and DDY. Even a 9-year old Madden gamer knows that shit would never work.

Now I am fucking triggered again. Thanks.
    MisterEm said:

Doogles said:

Browning speed option at the goal line started the bender that sent me to rehab. Thanks Bush!

I was front row for that horseshit with @Gladstone and DDY. Even a 9-year old Madden gamer knows that shit would never work.

Now I am fucking triggered again. Thanks.
    You're triggered? I haven't had scotch and blow in 7 months fuck you!
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    You all got what you asked for. That's why. I wanted Helfrich.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

how the fuck did you rise out of the ashes
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,582
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

how the fuck did you rise out of the ashes
    Like a one-legged, autistic 6'6" phoenix?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752

I'm willing to give it one more year and I give him some slack because of his work with the WRs in 2016 - that was incredible.

But so far, his recruiting has been shit and his offense has been beyond shit. I've heard he hated Jake, so we shall see..

The UW program that last 2 years was capable of winning the NY6 games but hamstrung by playcalling. Athletically, UW mostly belonged.

Pete saw the light in 2016 and brought in proven, tenured Tedford and the results were good. Smith and Bush were/are projects. Neither had the resume to back up the hiring. Which pretty much proves they are just Petersen yes men.
    Shout out to @WilburHooksHands who called it that we would hate Bush at some point.

Bush is 100% project and should be viewed through that lens. I also think there was tons of issues between him and "general on the field" browning with the playcalling.

I'm willing to LIPO to see if his playcalling improves and to see what his Petermen's offense looks like with a real QB that is on board and willing to let it rip.
    Agreed. Now that the Browning Sanctions are off, we might have a QB that rates slightly above retarded and self-destructive. LIPO.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752

For the same reason we(!) hated Jake, or because Jake couldn't cover up his deficiencies.
    Our offense basically eliminated Jake from it as much as possible down the stretch.
    The funny thing about this is, while true, the offense was better when Browning let the noodle rip. Our WRs can make plays on the ball.

Browning, while not elite physically, had a mental gap. It was like he was conditioned to only throw to wide open receivers until UW was already behind and desperate. We actually moved the ball last year passing downfield. In the conference champ game Browning threw maybe one pass over 10 yards.
    I totally agree.

Things I hate Jake for: fumbling on critical downs, taking sacks at key times, throwing pick sixes in playoff games, general brown-socksing.

Things I don't hate Jake for: being indecisive with the ball, being overly cautious. Before last year I tormented Coker with the reality that Jake and Cyler were very similar players. Both had insane cases of brain lock. That, to me, pointed to Pete's dog shit offense as the primary issue.

His best half of football is when he let the noodle rip as you have so poetically noted.

Jake sucked physically and so a lot of his balls were late and his deep ball game post John "I'm 24 feet ahead of the DB" Ross was non-existent... but it's clear that our offense produces QB brain lock.

One thing I will say in Bush's favor (I guess?) is that Pete's offenses have been total dog shit since Kellen Moore left. At first people thought Bobby Prince was the problem. Babushka got hired then... we were dog shit.

The only time our offense wasn't dog shit was when Tedford was here. It was strangely immediate how his departure affected us?.

What I have heard this spring is that they want the QB to let it rip and they are simplifying things. That's what I've heard.

But it's important to note that I think unless there's a total revamp, I bet we slide back into our old habits of making the QB play matrix ball...

One of the things that isn't appreciated enough is that Mike Leach's "insurgent warfare" (aka terrorism) strategies is about David going against Goliath. When you have better athletes you want the offense LESS complicated.

Pete undoubtedly thinks of himself as David and not Goliath and his fucktard Kellen Moore PhD-level offense was about outsmarting other teams, not beating the shit out of them. It worked when he had Kellen Moore. Never since.

I think he had success and he got stuck trying to recreate that. I'm hopeful he'll see the light with Skinny and that the reports are true that he'll let it rip a bit.

I'm never concerned our players won't be well coached... the scheme on O has always been the issue.
    Who are you and what have you done with angry DDY?