Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Coaching Wishlist!

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
No real order, requirement only being prior head coaching experience:

Tim DeRuyter
Current job: Head coach, Fresno State (20-4 record)

-- Has an impressive history of turning around defenses. As a DC, he took Air Force from 78th in total D to 10th. At A&M, he inherited the 104th ranked scoring defense and had them #21 two years later. At Ohio, 99th to 22nd. At Nevada 78th to 48th.
-- Has experience around a tier 1 program as an assistant (A&M)

Jim Mora
Current job: Head coach, UCLA (18-8 record)
Other HC experience: Atlanta Falcons (26-22), Seattle Seahawks (5-11)

-- NFL head coach experience
-- Proven recruiter, emphasizes OL recruiting (thank fucking god)
-- Played and coached at UW during its glory years
-- Has openly expressed love for the University of Washington, including a declaration that despite coming off an 11-5 season, 1st place NFC East finish and NFC Championship Game Runner up, that he would leave his Atlanta Falcons team for the UW.

Pete Lembo
Current Job: Head Coach, Ball State (103-48 overall record as HC)

-- Proven head coach
-- Proven at building previously downtrodden programs (Lehigh was awful before he got there, he went 44-13)

Chuck Martin
Current job: Offensive Coordinator, Notre Dame
Other HC experience: DII Grand Valley State (74-7)

-- Was a beast at the D2 level as a head coach, with a ridiculous 74-7 record, national championships in 2005 and 2006, national championship runner up in 2009. They never lost a regular season game between 2005-2009. Broke all time D2 record with 40 consecutive wins from 2005-2007.
-- His resume looks frighteningly similar to Tressel’s at Youngstown State, except better .
-- Also serves as recruiting coordinator at ND, has done a much better job than the previous two regimes there.

Bobby Petrino
Current job: Head coach, Western Kentucky (7-4 record)
Other HC experience: Louisville(41-9), Arkansas (34-17), Atlanta Falcons (3-10)

-- Proven winner. Has twice turned once-defunct programs into exciting, BCS-level teams in three year spans.
-- Proven recruiter.

Craig Bohl
Current job: Head coach, North Dakota State (100-32 record)

-- Quietly has had an extremely impressive Tressel-esque FCS run, winning two national titles in 2011 and 2012. He hasn’t lost yet this year either.
-- Has experience around a tier 1 program as an assistant (Nebraska)
-- His teams are renowned for their line play and fundamentals.

Jim Tressel
Former coach, Youngstown State, Ohio State (229–79–2 record)

-- A Winner. A Recruiter. A fantastic fundamentals teacher.

Who else should be on this list? I am in a euphoric drunken stupor right now.

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Lembo fits the profile a lot better than I realized.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    Why No Doug Nussmeier? He has a natty ring. Plus his resume trumps all those guys - jzimmeht and friends
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    Too many guys not named Mora.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited December 2013
    For an assistant, I like Chuck Martin. While he is an offensive coordinator at Notre Dame, he has a defensive background. He would be near or at the bottom of that list, but I would take any of those guys over Sark. At least those guys have the potential of being great coaches. Sark does not.

I love Bohl. Going for your third straight championship is the mark of a great coach. I also like it that he has had a down year or two and seems to have learned from it, like Don James. Nebraska should hire him if/when they let Petrino go.

Too many guys not named Brian Kelly or Brian Kelly.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Roaddawg we need a celebratory podcast!
    Gladstone said:

Roaddawg we need a celebratory podcast!

It's coming. Hopefully, we have even more to celebrate tomorrow.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    I like the list except Mora... I think hire-the-alum is a mistake as you well know. It makes the fans feel good, but let's face it, if Mora had no association with Don James he'd be a just another respectable face in the crowd of prominent coaches.

I like the list except Mora... I think hire-the-alum is a mistake as you well know. It makes the fans feel good, but let's face it, if Mora had no association with Don James he'd be a just another respectable face in the crowd of prominent coaches.

Watch my sig pic then pop off.

Completely disagree and you aren't looking at the facts of what Mora has done at UCLA. All coaching hires are a risk, and I don't think Mora is perfect, but the early returns show he is a damn good coach. I'm all for looking at the pros and cons of Mora, but from everyone's perspective but yours and Kim Grinolds', he would be a home run hire.

edited December 2013

Completely disagree and you aren't looking at the facts of what Mora has done at UCLA. All coaching hires are a risk, and I don't think Mora is perfect, but the early returns show he is a damn good coach. I'm all for looking at the pros and cons of Mora, but from everyone's perspective but yours and Kim Grinolds', he would be a home run hire.

he's OK, but not that great.... about 500 in the pros, somewhat better at UCLA with neu's recruits....a loser with the hawks he's better than Sark, but so are a lot of other guys. Having known Don James and being an alum makes no difference... it's all in your head, hype that will wear thin sooner or later, just like it does for virtually all alums hired as coaches.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,063
    Pete Lembo and Tim Deruyter will prob be snatched up in the next few weeks. UW only has to pay those guys $1-2 mil/year.
    edited December 2013

he's OK, but not that great.... about 500 in the pros, somewhat better at UCLA with neu's recruits....a loser with the hawks he's better than Sark, but so are a lot of other guys. Having known Don James and being an alum makes no difference... it's all in your head, hype that will wear thin sooner or later, just like it does for virtually all alums hired as coaches.
    If Mora shits the bed at UW, I will want him fired. However, I think a coach who has improved a program from being a 6-6 type team to a 9-3 team with the arrow pointing up would be a great hire.

The 18 true freshman and the sophomores who play aren't Neu recruits. Not to mention UCLA's best player, Anthony Barr is a guy who was being wasted on offense that Mora converted to OLB. Give him some fucking credit. I'm not really concerned about the lack of NFL success, although he did have a little bit, and outside of the year with the Seahawks, he wasn't that bad.

Mora is an energetic, a great recruiter, has good early results, and would be a splash hire. I have a few minor concerns about him, and I don't think he is all that great of a defensive mind, but unless we are getting Saban or Urban Meyer, he is as good as we are going to do.

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

FS.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Chuck Martin is my pick to replace Helf. I know three guys that played for him at Grand Valley and they basically said they weren't really anymore talented that the teams they played but they played sound football and extensive effort was put into developing the depth.

Basically, he sounds like Chip Kelly 2.0

If Mora shits the bed at UW, I will want him fired. However, I think a coach who has improved a program from being a 6-6 type team to a 9-3 team with the arrow pointing up would be a great hire.

The 18 true freshman and the sophomores who play aren't Neu recruits. Not to mention UCLA's best player, Anthony Barr is a guy who was being wasted on offense that Mora converted to OLB. Give him some fucking credit. I'm not really concerned about the lack of NFL success, although he did have a little bit, and outside of the year with the Seahawks, he wasn't that bad.

Mora is an energetic, a great recruiter, has good early results, and would be a splash hire. I have a few minor concerns about him, and I don't think he is all that great of a defensive mind, but unless we are getting Saban or Urban Meyer, he is as good as we are going to do.

Mora knows what he is doing, I grant you. He's a journeyman head coach. But looking at his results this year, it's not much different than the results for UW. The situation is different, I know, but the results are scarily similar. Losses to stanford, oregon, ASU.... actually Mora sounds like Marinerization to me. He's going to be nice, solid, and dependable, a real UW man, get the fans in the stands.... and lose about the same as Sark.

Anyway, it's not good for the conference anyway. USC is stupid to hire Sark, and it be only a slight trade up for UW to get Mora. He's better than Sark, agreed, but you guys are attaching waaaaaaaaay too much hype to him with his knew-Don-James label.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,063

Mora knows what he is doing, I grant you. He's a journeyman head coach. But looking at his results this year, it's not much different than the results for UW. The situation is different, I know, but the results are scarily similar. Losses to stanford, oregon, ASU.... actually Mora sounds like Marinerization to me. He's going to be nice, solid, and dependable, a real UW man, get the fans in the stands.... and lose about the same as Sark.

Anyway, it's not good for the conference anyway. USC is stupid to hire Sark, and it be only a slight trade up for UW to get Mora. He's better than Sark, agreed, but you guys are attaching waaaaaaaaay too much hype to him with his knew-Don-James label.
    "Hands to the face" call - hands Mora the victory.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

You still don't get it

• Here is my list:

1. Mora, this will be his third year as a head coach and he'll do everything possible to win at UW. He's the best coach on the field enough said about that.

2. Mora- He will recruit an OL that averages 332 lbs and they'll be ready to rumble.

3. Mora- the players will have spoken about the difference between Sarkisian 2013 and Mora 2014.

4. Mora- Speed, speed, speed. Mora will recruit some speedsters to this program. The newbies will be inexperienced but will give us speed that we haven't had in a long time.

5. Mora- He'll have UW control the clock as they hang onto the ball. UW will win the time of possession.

With Mora I say UW wins every game rather easily say 34-17?
  • loadsockloadsock Member Posts: 686
    does this mean he gets more than Siete W's?