Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Miami Hurricanes website asks: What If Miami Beat Washington In 2000?

2»

Comments

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,084
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Best friend from high school contends the loudest the Orange Bowl has ever been was in 2001 for the Washington game.

I'll bet your friend also talks about the standing ovation at Lincoln a lot too. The only time they've ever done that for an opposing team. Ever.

Your friend never attended a Notre Dame or Florida State game. Apparently.
    My friend has been a Cane season ticket holder since 98. You even beer pong in the grove bro?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Baphomet said:

Baphomet said:

What if Washington had beat Oregon that year?

As it stands, we beat 3 BCS teams in 2000: Miami, Oregon State, & Purdue, and two of those teams won their BCS bowls -- the only one that lost was the one that lost to us.

I don't think many teams have done that... maybe one or two?

I think the hype on the 2000 Miami team is
    Yeah I get that, but if they can play "what if" why can't we? We would have been undefeated.

And as I wrote, I don't think more than 2 teams have achieved what UW achieved that season.
    Nobody said you couldn't. Don't twist. What if away.
  • Options

Best friend from high school contends the loudest the Orange Bowl has ever been was in 2001 for the Washington game.

I'll bet your friend also talks about the standing ovation at Lincoln a lot too. The only time they've ever done that for an opposing team. Ever.

My friend has been a Cane season ticket holder since 98. You even beer pong in the grove bro?
    I was at the 83 Nebraska game for the first title. I was at the 81 upset of #1 Penn State. I was at the '88 opener against Deion Sanders and #1 Florida State. I was at the '89 drubbing of #1 Notre Dame and saw 3rd and 43. I was at the '85 ass kicking of Notre Dame and poor Gerry Foust. I was at the '86 Oklahoma Bozworth game. And, sadly, I was at the '84 Boston College game and saw Hail Flutie. Actually, I didn't see the play, but I was there. Shall I continue? Bro?

If your "friend" counts 1998 as the beginning of time, at the fucking Orange Bowl no less, then he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground compared to me.

I had family and friends at the Washington game. The game was fun and there was retribution for 2000. 1994 had faded by then, interrupted by some pretty lean years. Nobody talks about it anymore. They still talk about the games I listed above, and many others.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was at the 83 Nebraska game for the first title. I was at the 81 upset of #1 Penn State. I was at the '88 opener against Deion Sanders and #1 Florida State. I was at the '89 drubbing of #1 Notre Dame and saw 3rd and 43. I was at the '85 ass kicking of Notre Dame and poor Gerry Foust. I was at the '86 Oklahoma Bozworth game. And, sadly, I was at the '84 Boston College game and saw Hail Flutie. Actually, I didn't see the play, but I was there. Shall I continue? Bro?

If your "friend" counts 1998 as the beginning of time, at the fucking Orange Bowl no less, then he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground compared to me.

I had family and friends at the Washington game. The game was fun and there was retribution for 2000. 1994 had faded by then, interrupted by some pretty lean years. Nobody talks about it anymore. They still talk about the games I listed above, and many others.
    Damn you Race Bannon old! I'll be at a UM tailgate this year and ask the old timer, older than you, what his opinion is. When I was there in 2014, everyone, everyone I met brought up the 2001 game. One guy who attended all three match ups has the tickets framed. Miami gets shit for support, even the 94 game wasn't a sell out. Yeah they sell out for FSU, but that's because the place is like 35-40% Seminole.

Also who WTF's a pic of a beer pong table at the Tavern in the Grove?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Imagine being scared of a little brown man.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Nobody talks about it anymore except a Miami Hurricanes website

yeah BUT STILL
  • Options

Nobody talks about it anymore except a Miami Hurricanes website

yeah BUT STILL
    Don't be an idiot.
  • Options

Damn you Race Bannon old! I'll be at a UM tailgate this year and ask the old timer, older than you, what his opinion is. When I was there in 2014, everyone, everyone I met brought up the 2001 game. One guy who attended all three match ups has the tickets framed. Miami gets shit for support, even the 94 game wasn't a sell out. Yeah they sell out for FSU, but that's because the place is like 35-40% Seminole.

Not quite that old. I doubt very seriously your story about some guy framing three game tickets from matchups with Washington. Don't get your feelings hurt, but that is made-up af.

The point, which didn't come across well, is that Miami has nice bucket full of epic and historic games. The Washington games, which were important, don't crack the top ten.

Put is this way. I remember when Miami went down to Baton Rouge, at night, in the rain, and beat the living tar out of LSU 44-3. I remember because, even then, people didn't frequently go down there and embarrass the Tigers. I also remember it because it formed part of a 19 road game winning streak. But it's not some all-time "the stadium has never been louder" game. I remember it, because I remember most things Cane, and because it was a great game. It's not a HOF game.

What you and Derek are failing to appreciate is that the Washington games have context ... it comes up because it cost Miami a shot at a title in 2000. 94 comes up because it ended the streak. If there is a thread about those topics, then of course it's coming up. I didn't say nobody remembers. But none of those games ... 94, 00 or 01 are all-timers. Sorry. There aren't many people more Cane than me. It is what it is. If you're standing around a bunch of Canes who are 40 and over, they're bringin up Oklahoma 86 just to bring it up. They're bringing up 89 ND and 3rd and 43. They're bringing up 88 ND and the bullshit Cleveland Gary fumble call. They're typically not bringing up 01 Washington.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not quite that old. I doubt very seriously your story about some guy framing three game tickets from matchups with Washington. Don't get your feelings hurt, but that is made-up af.

The point, which didn't come across well, is that Miami has nice bucket full of epic and historic games. The Washington games, which were important, don't crack the top ten.

Put is this way. I remember when Miami went down to Baton Rouge, at night, in the rain, and beat the living tar out of LSU 44-3. I remember because, even then, people didn't frequently go down there and embarrass the Tigers. I also remember it because it formed part of a 19 road game winning streak. But it's not some all-time "the stadium has never been louder" game. I remember it, because I remember most things Cane, and because it was a great game. It's not a HOF game.

What you and Derek are failing to appreciate is that the Washington games have context ... it comes up because it cost Miami a shot at a title in 2000. 94 comes up because it ended the streak. If there is a thread about those topics, then of course it's coming up. I didn't say nobody remembers. But none of those games ... 94, 00 or 01 are all-timers. Sorry. There aren't many people more Cane than me. It is what it is. If you're standing around a bunch of Canes who are 40 and over, they're bringin up Oklahoma 86 just to bring it up. They're bringing up 89 ND and 3rd and 43. They're bringing up 88 ND and the bullshit Cleveland Gary fumble call. They're typically not bringing up 01 Washington.
    No, you are hella old.

As for guy with the tickets framed, he'll be in East 5A Parking Lot at Hard Rock all season, and is an attorney in Delray Beach. He framed them because he went to each game. Why would I even make that up?

I'm glad you're a big cane fan, but you had a top 15 Washington team coming in, a team that kept you out of the BCS the year before, and was the last thing standing in the way of your chance at the title the following year. You don't think fans were hyped up? Had that game happened earlier in the year when it was supposed to be played, I doubt it would have had the same hype. But last game before BCS selection? Yes. Were you even there? I think you're downgrading it just because it's Washington. Have you ever been to the Tavern in the Grove?

• Options

No, you are hella old.

As for guy with the tickets framed, he'll be in East 5A Parking Lot at Hard Rock all season, and is an attorney in Delray Beach. He framed them because he went to each game. Why would I even make that up?

I'm glad you're a big cane fan, but you had a top 15 Washington team coming in, a team that kept you out of the BCS the year before, and was the last thing standing in the way of your chance at the title the following year. You don't think fans were hyped up? Had that game happened earlier in the year when it was supposed to be played, I doubt it would have had the same hype. But last game before BCS selection? Yes. Were you even there? I think you're downgrading it just because it's Washington. Have you ever been to the Tavern in the Grove?

Tl;dr

It was an important game. "The Orange Bowl has never been louder" is stupid. I think you're upgrading it become it's Washington.

I was a young kid in the early 80s. Race was in AARP in the early 80s. Not that old I say.

Made up af I say. No Cane fan would frame those tickets. Stop it.