Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL Philippines v Canada WAR thread

Comments

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Britain would lose that war now BTW.
    This requires explanation
    Decline and fall of the Royal Navy. Britain had 4 carriers in 1982 and 1 now. They were still at tuff Cold War ally in the 80's. Not so much anymore. Thatcher > May and it's not even close.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/editorials/the-decline-of-the-royal-navy
    They could barely project power into the South Atlantic even then. Falklands taught them that they needed to beef up their power projection capabilities, but then the end of the Cold War and declining threat perception has led to a gutting of the force. Fewer ships but each ship has greater capabilities, but then they're too valuable to risk losing somewhere. Even when the QE-class flattops are available they'll likely only be used in conjunction with American/NATO forces
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,888
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Decline and fall of the Royal Navy. Britain had 4 carriers in 1982 and 1 now. They were still at tuff Cold War ally in the 80's. Not so much anymore. Thatcher > May and it's not even close.

They could barely project power into the South Atlantic even then. Falklands taught them that they needed to beef up their power projection capabilities, but then the end of the Cold War and declining threat perception has led to a gutting of the force. Fewer ships but each ship has greater capabilities, but then they're too valuable to risk losing somewhere. Even when the QE-class flattops are available they'll likely only be used in conjunction with American/NATO forces
    The top Cold War scholar of the bored agrees with me. Suck it @UW_Doog_Bot !!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So America still needs to defend the world

That's what I thought

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

It's what happens to every country that adopts a Government run healthcare system.

It sucks up every available dollar and it still delivers shitty care.
    While our care is better for most Americans, we still face the same issue- i.e., spending on old people competing with defense dollars. In the 1950s we could devote a much larger percentage of GDP to defense than would ever be politically possible now because there was not Medicare of Medicaid yet and life expectancy was 60 ish.

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    Trust me, I'm not in favor of Medicare or Medicaid either. Our problem is bad, just not as bad as the Europeans. We've transformed our governments into healthcare and retirement providers two things government does very poorly and at great cost. We were a tougher and better people before the expansion of the welfare state.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

It's what happens to every country that adopts a Government run healthcare system.

While our care is better for most Americans, we still face the same issue- i.e., spending on old people competing with defense dollars. In the 1950s we could devote a much larger percentage of GDP to defense than would ever be politically possible now because there was not Medicare of Medicaid yet and life expectancy was 60 ish.

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    Trust me, I'm not in favor of Medicare or Medicaid either. Our problem is bad, just not as bad as the Europeans. We've transformed our governments into healthcare and retirement providers two things government does very poorly and at great cost. We were a tougher and better people before the expansion of the welfare state.
    I just rolled the odometer over 90,000 miles today on the 2006 4 Runner and put my 10% in the 401K with company match. But @Swaye is trying to get me to buy a fleet of Rolex watches so I might be fucked.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    Swaye's Wigwam

BearsWiin said:

You've done a good job of convincing me of the decline of the British military.

You've failed to mention the devolution of Argentina into borderline 3rd world from it's zenith of military power in the early 80's.

Sark>Ty but still Sark>Ty
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,997
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't pay attention to any war that doesn't have a good Dardanelles crossing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Alexis said:

I don't pay attention to any war that doesn't have a good Dardanelles crossing.

@Dardanus ??
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    I just rolled the odometer over 90,000 miles today on the 2006 4 Runner and put my 10% in the 401K with company match. But @Swaye is trying to get me to buy a fleet of Rolex watches so I might be fucked.
    At least I'm not trying to get you hooked on blow. Yet....
    That's good. I don't want my wife to leave me. The war on drugs is skrong in my house.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    You should talk to Hondo about investing in a Roth. And you need to up your 401K contribution.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

BearsWiin said:

You've done a good job of convincing me of the decline of the British military.

You've failed to mention the devolution of Argentina into borderline 3rd world from it's zenith of military power in the early 80's.

Sark>Ty but still Sark>Ty
    That wasn't my point though. Rather, I was implying in the OP that Britain doesn't have the force projection capability anymore to beat a decent adversary in a far away land. Sorry for not making this clearer.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    You should talk to Hondo about investing in a Roth. And you need to up your 401K contribution.
    Who's Roth? A Jewish feller?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    Roth? He's been dying of the same heart attack for 20 years

Incoming Don @creepycoug poast in 1, 2, 3....
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

So America still needs to defend the world

That's what I thought

We barely did anything in Round 1. And Round 2, well you know the story there...

• Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    If Hondo had know about Roth he could have run molasses into Canada and made a fortune.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

#freecigarettesforall!!!
    Roth? He's been dying of the same heart attack for 20 years

Once those commies are out of Cuber I really want to stay at a fancy hotel in Habana and drink rum and smoke cigars.