Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Baseball, Softball, Tennis, Golf, Rowing, Track, etc. should be thankful for any money they receive from the only sports that actually generate a profit (Football and Men's Basketball). If you take more money away from those two sports, they become less competitive. Thus, even less money trickling down.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If anyone cared those sports wouldn't be broke

Rugby isn't, just saying.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

They (Rugby) have low overhead and don't get funding from the athletic department.

#myrowboat gets about 75% of its funding from football and 25% from private donations and our? endowment which is over $14,000,000.00. Crew relies a lot on AD funding but has way more alumni support that any other non revenue sport and its not close.

https://washingtonrowing.com/fy-2017-2018-annual-report/
  • BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

They (Rugby) have low overhead and don't get funding from the athletic department.

#myrowboat gets about 75% of its funding from football and 25% from private donations and our? endowment which is over $14,000,000.00. Crew relies a lot on AD funding but has way more alumni support that any other non revenue sport and its not close.

UW's rugby team also isn't very good. Central skullfucks them every time they play.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

UW's rugby team also isn't very good. Central skullfucks them every time they play.
    Asians suck at Rugby. Bones are too brittle.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I skull fucked Colorado in row boat once. Didn't even know they had a team until the race was over.
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's true we don't have Rowboat's kind of overhead but ours is comparable to lots of other sports if they had to rely on their own revenue instead of Football/BBall cash.

I mean c'mon, how much does soccer actually cost vs. how much does UW spend on it?

Our? endowment pays for the majority of costs which came mostly from one generous alumnus when he passed away. No idea what the actual dollar amount is on it. I know it's not that big but it's big enough to pay coaches salaries, team travel, facilities fees, etc. year in year out.

Our alumni network is pretty weak, no argument there. As I've said before, our staffing is all via current club members so results year to year vary wildly in competency. Maybe if we had AD cash...chicken and egg. Or maybe if I get RaceBannon/TboonePickens rich I'll make UW rugby the next Clemson of college rugby.(Cal is unfortunately the Alabama of college rugby)
    Swaye's Wigwam

Central is also one of the best programs in the cuntry. #5 last I checked so there's only a few schools they don't skullfuck. Colorado is definitely not one of those few schools.

There's no academic exceptions for Rugby players so at UW you have to apply to play school like every other kid. That means that a non-competitive academic shit-stain like Central can actually recruit and clean up all the FS kids who aren't rich enough to go to Ivies or aren't good enough students to go to a school like Cal. UW is in a bad spot from that standpoint as they get caught in the middle ground. NCAA status for rugby would significantly change all that, hello academic clearinghouse exceptions and schollies. UW would probably at least dominate the PNW if that happened. As it stood they were ranked #43 and regularly win their division which is pretty good given the limitations.

College rugby is in flux with the varsity cup folding, many programs changing from club over to varsity status, and sevens gaining popularity. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next decade.
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's true we don't have Rowboat's kind of overhead but ours is comparable to lots of other sports if they had to rely on their own revenue instead of Football/BBall cash.

I mean c'mon, how much does soccer actually cost vs. how much does UW spend on it?

Our? endowment pays for the majority of costs which came mostly from one generous alumnus when he passed away. No idea what the actual dollar amount is on it. I know it's not that big but it's big enough to pay coaches salaries, team travel, facilities fees, etc. year in year out.

Our alumni network is pretty weak, no argument there. As I've said before, our staffing is all via current club members so results year to year vary wildly in competency. Maybe if we had AD cash...chicken and egg. Or maybe if I get RaceBannon/TboonePickens rich I'll make UW rugby the next Clemson of college rugby.(Cal is unfortunately the Alabama of college rugby)
    Their biggest cost are schollies. After that travel.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Their (soccer) biggest cost are schollies. After that travel.
    Swaye's Wigwam

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Their biggest costs are Busch Li.... , oops wrong board.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TRICKLE DOWN DOESNT WORK!!!! Reagan is destroying the NCAA now?