Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DM to roaddawg

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2019
    I’m glad we have Wellington, but we should have players ready to step up once good players leave. That’s what good programs do.

Kyler Murray wining the Heisman doesn’t lessen what Baker Mayfield did.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,463
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BBK is why we lose to Stanford and this new knuckle dragging version of Oregon.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    haie said:

BBK is why we lose to Stanford and this new knuckle dragging version of Oregon.

You lost to oregon?
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The "BBK was only good his senior year" bullshit is... bullshit. I was first impressed by him his true freshmen year, when he subbed in during the Oregon loss and was instantly everywhere, making sure tackles and covering a shitload of field. No way was he even 200 pounds at the time, so I laughed when he came in, but couldn't help but be impressed by the end of his stint.

I think he actually took a step back his sophomore year BECAUSE he got bigger. He was never going to be Azeem Victor, and I think he too quickly threw away his advantage at the position in an attempt to put on weight too fast. It was also in the Oregon game that year where this was really driven home to me, as he was beaten on a wheel for a TD and looked slow in the process. 2015 BBK probably makes that tackle. Junior year was a mixed bag. He still didn't look as fast and quick as he was as a freshman, but not as slow as he did as a sophomore. At this point, he was probably 210 and back to being fairly fast/quick for a MIKE linebacker. He wasn't Azeem Victor, though, and I think two years of Azeem Victor had us all wanting linebackers that look/play like Azeem Victor.

Thing is, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Victor had the size, length, and intimidation factor that made Death Row the first actually intimidating UW defense since the nineties. BBK was just ridiculously competent but physically unimpressive. He'd make EVERY tackle, but often in the process of giving up a yard or two of ground. This helped the Huskies' D improve both seasons he was a starter and really dominate the important team stats in conference. Apparently that wasn't good enough for certain strong personalities here, and the dozens of weak personalities got right in line to parrot this stance like they always do.

To those who paid attention with an open mind, BBK--even as a sub-200 lb. true freshman--was a spread-killing tackling machine in a spread league. Had he stayed closer to his freshman weight, he probably would have stayed as such and been situationally awesome but not the complete player he became. As a starter, once more grown into the extra weight needed to be an every down/every team linebacker, BBK was a top-half conference linebacker and then an All-American.

He was always good, people just hate being wrong.

Hi BBK!
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,868
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I feel like the narrative is we no longer are rebuilding but we reload... maybe.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583