Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The very air you breathe is racist

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,232
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/11/air-pollution-inequality-minorities-breathe-air-polluted-whites/3130783002/

The air that Americans breathe isn't equal.

Blacks and Hispanics disproportionately breathe air that's been polluted by non-Hispanic whites, according to a study. This new research quantifies for the first time the racial gap between who causes air pollution – and who breathes it.

"Pollution is disproportionately caused by whites, but disproportionately inhaled by black and Hispanic minorities," the study said.

Poor air quality remains the largest environmental health risk in the United States, the study warns. In fact, with 100,000 deaths per year, more Americans die from air pollution than car crashes and murders combined.

“Even though minorities are contributing less to the overall problem of air pollution, they are affected by it more,” said study co-author Jason Hill, an engineering professor at the University of Minnesota, who is white. “Is it fair (that) I create more pollution and somebody else is disproportionately affected by it?”

Hill said that while the air in the U.S. has gotten cleaner in the past decade, pollution inequity has remained stubbornly high.

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Any bets on if they factored in that whites are more likely to own electric vehicles and hybrids and have solar panels on their homes or did they simply look at consumption numbers and conclude that whites produce more pollution?

Btw, I know that when I drive through poor minority areas, there is a hell of lot more garbage and pollution in those areas. Can we use that to make any similar observations about the amount of "pollution" being generated by minority groups?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,126
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

https://usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/11/air-pollution-inequality-minorities-breathe-air-polluted-whites/3130783002/

The air that Americans breathe isn't equal.

Blacks and Hispanics disproportionately breathe air that's been polluted by non-Hispanic whites, according to a study. This new research quantifies for the first time the racial gap between who causes air pollution – and who breathes it.

"Pollution is disproportionately caused by whites, but disproportionately inhaled by black and Hispanic minorities," the study said.

Poor air quality remains the largest environmental health risk in the United States, the study warns. In fact, with 100,000 deaths per year, more Americans die from air pollution than car crashes and murders combined.

“Even though minorities are contributing less to the overall problem of air pollution, they are affected by it more,” said study co-author Jason Hill, an engineering professor at the University of Minnesota, who is white. “Is it fair (that) I create more pollution and somebody else is disproportionately affected by it?”

Hill said that while the air in the U.S. has gotten cleaner in the past decade, pollution inequity has remained stubbornly high.

Race seems like a pointless diversion unless you are going to argue that prosperous whites consume more than prosperous non-whites. I don't see that argument being made or that measurement being taken.

So people with money consume more and don't choose to live in places that have dirtier air. No duh!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Something tells me that two billion Chinese and Indians are along with plenty of other 3rd World shit holes are producing more pollution than Whitey.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,805
    SFGbob said:

Something tells me that two billion Chinese and Indians are along with plenty of other 3rd World shit holes are producing more pollution than Whitey.

The base cause is colonialism and years of oppression.

I’m sure this will all be covered in hhusky’s re-education class.

For now, you just fall in line, k?
  • Options

SFGbob said:

Re-education? Why would that work when education didn't do any good?
  • Options

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Do tell, comrade.

Where’s the syllabus? Dropbox?
    Comrade? That's kinda funny. I'm just another Marxist with a couple of business degrees, I guess.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Crummy teachers?
  • Options

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Crummy teachers?
    That was not my UW experience.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Crummy teachers?
    Well apparently you're the only one here that is educated so I'm seeing a pattern of lazy teachers not educating yesterday's youth
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Crummy teachers?
    Well apparently you're the only one here that is educated so I'm seeing a pattern of lazy teachers not educating yesterday's youth
    Could have been a silk purse, sow's ear kind of problem.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Crummy teachers?
    And yet all of that superior education didn't stop him from swallowing like a bitch and claiming that Trademark never hit Zimmerman and that Mike Brown was shot in the back while running away.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm hearing Wells Fargo finances that pollution

Only the whites that work there
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    If you remember your teachers from college, you may be a fag.