Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Soul Train BOTBs Elite 8 (1960s) - #1 James Brown vs #2 Ray Charles

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Soul Train BOTBs Elite 8 (1960s) - #1 James Brown vs #2 Ray Charles 21 votes

#1 James Brown
42%
PurpleJDennis_DeYoungalumni94GrundleStiltzkinseatownfunkLebamDawgDoog_de_JourYellowSnowjhfstyle24 9 votes
#2 Ray Charles
57%
SwayeHillsboroDuckMad_SonchuckTequillaPurpleThrobberBasemanGrandpaSankey89uteGilbystaintRDRJoeEDangerously 12 votes

Comments

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 James Brown
    This one was really close, but James' part in creating rap put me over the top.

Also, how fucking insane is it that two of the finalists are blind?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 James Brown

Brother Ray's period of artistic and commercial relevance lasted from about 1954- 1963. JB's was 1959- 1971 so advantage JB. James was there with Ray when early R&B became soul but he was also there in the late 60's inventing funk.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    #2 Ray Charles
    Impossible choice. Flip a coin. I went with the underdog and because I stand with @GrandpaSankey but either option is good enough to win it all.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 James Brown
    Some of the difficulty with James is that what made him so great was his band... how much credit does he get for that? The reality is he controlled everything. He picked the players, he was famously demanding... so it makes it really complicated when comparing him. But he completely changed music by taking the 'vamp' part of songs and extending them to just groove. That changed everything, but it does result in his songs feeling a bit like they go nowhere... but holy shit. It changed things so drastically and - again - basically gave the template of break beats...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQ4AtsFWVM
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 James Brown

Some of the difficulty with James is that what made him so great was his band... how much credit does he get for that? The reality is he controlled everything. He picked the players, he was famously demanding... so it makes it really complicated when comparing him. But he completely changed music by taking the 'vamp' part of songs and extending them to just groove. That changed everything, but it does result in his songs feeling a bit like they go nowhere... but holy shit. It changed things so drastically and - again - basically gave the template of break beats...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQ4AtsFWVM

Christ man @Dennis_DeYoung it means everything. He's like the greatest band leader of the era. I might vote JB all the way just based on the instrumentals alone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wYzU3XKqY

Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 James Brown
    I'm a little surprised by the likely outcome here- i.e., Brother Ray taking down James Brown to advance to the final 4 against Stevie Wonder. Poles will close at 5PM today and Final 4 on Friday.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 James Brown
    If James Brown doesn't win, you all know nothing about music.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #2 Ray Charles

I'm working on going blind. Daily.

#2 Ray Charles
    alumni94 said:

Disagree - James Brown was a RIDICULOUS entertainer. Hardest working man in show biz, you know.

As far as a musician -he was a'ight. He had his schtick screaming and dancing and wearing capes and shit. But solely on listening to his tunes....just a'ight.

On the other hand, you've got someone like Stevie Wonder who is a fucking prodigy musically. Total triple threat - singer, musician, composer. Prince probably was in that mode too until he apparently got too deep into other dabblings.

Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 James Brown
    Pole closed. Ray wins 10-8.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 James Brown

alumni94 said:

Disagree - James Brown was a RIDICULOUS entertainer. Hardest working man in show biz, you know.

As far as a musician -he was a'ight. He had his schtick screaming and dancing and wearing capes and shit. But solely on listening to his tunes....just a'ight.

On the other hand, you've got someone like Stevie Wonder who is a fucking prodigy musically. Total triple threat - singer, musician, composer. Prince probably was in that mode too until he apparently got too deep into other dabblings.

I agree about your statements around Stevie Wonder, but I think these are the factors.

1. Hits created. Did they create music they public liked. (Not a one hit wonder either, had to do it over time).
    2. Did they entertain. I'm not a bit fan of this, but I understand it's a factor.
    3. Are they a great musician/singer. Talent counts.
    4. Did they influence. I think this is the most important. They could have been ok in the other factors, but have a huge influence. I think this is where James Brown excels. He created a music style.
    #2 Ray Charles
    alumni94 said:

alumni94 said:

I agree about your statements around Stevie Wonder, but I think these are the factors.

1. Hits created. Did they create music they public liked. (Not a one hit wonder either, had to do it over time).
    2. Did they entertain. I'm not a bit fan of this, but I understand it's a factor.
    4. Did they influence. I think this is the most important. They could have been ok in the other factors, but have a huge influence. I think this is where James Brown excels. He created a music style.

Stevie wins all four of your criteria.

• GrandpaSankeyGrandpaSankey Member Posts: 956
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    #2 Ray Charles
    alumni94 said:

alumni94 said: