Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

You know how I know your news source is lying?

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

I guess it is easier to laugh at me than admit you're a dumbass

When did segregated water fountains end?
    Ben Steelman
    StarNews
    That’s a good question, and it’s a tough one to answer.

Segregation of public facilities — including water fountains and restrooms — was officially outlawed by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on July 2, 1964, after a rare cloture vote in the U.S. Senate. (Sen. Robert F. Byrd, D-W.Va., a former Klansman, spoke against the bill on the Senate floor for 14 hours, 13 minutes straight.)

U.S. Rep. Alton A. Lennon of Wilmington, a Democrat who represented North Carolina’s 7th District at the time, and North Carolina’s U.S. senators, Democrats B. Everett Jordan and Sam J. Ervin Jr., all voted against the measure.

In Raleigh, Wilmington and other Southern cities, local businesses seem to have complied grudgingly but promptly. (Local historian Susan Taylor Block remembers watching the water fountains being removed from the downtown J.C. Penney store when she was a young girl.) In smaller towns and rural areas, however, old Jim Crow customs lingered a little while longer.

The questioner specifically mentioned H.L. Green’s dime store, which was at 258 N. Front St., Wilmington [Map this], until around 1967. That was one of a number of stores and offices with segregated fountains.

Local history librarian Beverly Tetterton still remembers seeing fading “White” and “Colored” signs on the restrooms of shuttered gas stations when she first came to town in the 1970s.

Elliott Erwin of Magnum Photos took a celebrated black-and-white photo of a segregated water fountain in North Carolina in 1950.

Date posted: June 5, 2009

I guess you were talking about shuttered gas stations then

Read my original quote. I didn't say everywhere. I didn't even say it was widespread. But there were some racist small towns where that shit was still going on. And you are an ignorant old white dude from the West coast if you don't get that. And your quote says as much. If you actually read it.
    How about one example now that you have back tracked all the way to some small town somewhere and does that still excuse the Democrats in Virginia for being racist?

El oh El!!!!

Read for comprehension?

You live in a white nationalist state cracker
    Your own quote even says that southern towns that complied did so begrudgingly.
    Complied. Grudgingly or not they complied. It also says promptly. Did you miss that?

El oh El!!!!!!!

Give us just one town hondo. Link?
    Race can't see the larger point. And wants to focus on semantics. As always.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Ben Steelman
    StarNews

Segregation of public facilities — including water fountains and restrooms — was officially outlawed by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on July 2, 1964, after a rare cloture vote in the U.S. Senate. (Sen. Robert F. Byrd, D-W.Va., a former Klansman, spoke against the bill on the Senate floor for 14 hours, 13 minutes straight.)

U.S. Rep. Alton A. Lennon of Wilmington, a Democrat who represented North Carolina’s 7th District at the time, and North Carolina’s U.S. senators, Democrats B. Everett Jordan and Sam J. Ervin Jr., all voted against the measure.

In Raleigh, Wilmington and other Southern cities, local businesses seem to have complied grudgingly but promptly. (Local historian Susan Taylor Block remembers watching the water fountains being removed from the downtown J.C. Penney store when she was a young girl.) In smaller towns and rural areas, however, old Jim Crow customs lingered a little while longer.

The questioner specifically mentioned H.L. Green’s dime store, which was at 258 N. Front St., Wilmington [Map this], until around 1967. That was one of a number of stores and offices with segregated fountains.

Local history librarian Beverly Tetterton still remembers seeing fading “White” and “Colored” signs on the restrooms of shuttered gas stations when she first came to town in the 1970s.

Elliott Erwin of Magnum Photos took a celebrated black-and-white photo of a segregated water fountain in North Carolina in 1950.

Read my original quote. I didn't say everywhere. I didn't even say it was widespread. But there were some racist small towns where that shit was still going on. And you are an ignorant old white dude from the West coast if you don't get that. And your quote says as much. If you actually read it.
    How about one example now that you have back tracked all the way to some small town somewhere and does that still excuse the Democrats in Virginia for being racist?

El oh El!!!!

Read for comprehension?

Complied. Grudgingly or not they complied. It also says promptly. Did you miss that?

El oh El!!!!!!!

All we need is one town

Just how pathological a liar are you. The nation is watching

The point is you tried to run cover for democrat racists by talking out your ass and now are tripling down

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Ben Steelman
    StarNews

El oh El!!!!

Read for comprehension?

El oh El!!!!!!!

All we need is one town

The point is you tried to run cover for democrat racists by talking out your ass and now are tripling down
    This is a 30 second Google search. Are you that ignorant?

Continued resistance Edit
    There were white business owners who claimed that Congress did not have the constitutional authority to ban segregation in public accommodations. For example, Moreton Rolleston, the owner of a motel in Atlanta, Georgia, said he should not be forced to serve black travelers, saying, "the fundamental question [...] is whether or not Congress has the power to take away the liberty of an individual to run his business as he sees fit in the selection and choice of his customers".[60] Rolleston claimed that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was a breach of the Fourteenth Amendment and also violated the Fifth and Thirteenth Amendments by depriving him of "liberty and property without due process".[60] In Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States (1964), the Supreme Court held that Congress drew its authority from the Constitution's Commerce Clause, rejecting Rolleston's claims.

Resistance to the public accommodation clause continued for years on the ground, especially in the South.[61] When local college students in Orangeburg, South Carolina attempted to desegregate a bowling alley in 1968, they were violently attacked, leading to rioting and what became known as the "Orangeburg massacre."[62] Resistance by school boards continued into the next decade, with the most significant declines in black-white school segregation only occurring at the end of the 1960s and the start of the 1970s in the aftermath of the Green v. County School Board of New Kent County (1968) court decision.[63]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942
    In the 70s, black people couldn't eat at the same restaurant or drink from the same water fountain in some places.

If they "couldn't" eat at a restaurant or drink form a water fountain there had to be some force of law that kept them from doing so. Which state and town still enforced Jim Crow laws in the 1970s Hondo?

And notice how you're not saying that there was one isolated incident you're saying black people period couldn't do these things in "some" places. Where were those places Hondo?
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Ben Steelman
    StarNews

El oh El!!!!

Read for comprehension?

El oh El!!!!!!!

All we need is one town

There were white business owners who claimed that Congress did not have the constitutional authority to ban segregation in public accommodations. For example, Moreton Rolleston, the owner of a motel in Atlanta, Georgia, said he should not be forced to serve black travelers, saying, "the fundamental question [...] is whether or not Congress has the power to take away the liberty of an individual to run his business as he sees fit in the selection and choice of his customers".[60] Rolleston claimed that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was a breach of the Fourteenth Amendment and also violated the Fifth and Thirteenth Amendments by depriving him of "liberty and property without due process".[60] In Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States (1964), the Supreme Court held that Congress drew its authority from the Constitution's Commerce Clause, rejecting Rolleston's claims.

Resistance to the public accommodation clause continued for years on the ground, especially in the South.[61] When local college students in Orangeburg, South Carolina attempted to desegregate a bowling alley in 1968, they were violently attacked, leading to rioting and what became known as the "Orangeburg massacre."[62] Resistance by school boards continued into the next decade, with the most significant declines in black-white school segregation only occurring at the end of the 1960s and the start of the 1970s in the aftermath of the Green v. County School Board of New Kent County (1968) court decision.[63]

Nothing in there supports your claim of segregated fountains in the 70's

Nobody said that everyone loved it but thanks for the lesson nobody needed on schools and private businesses

El oh El!!!!!

SFGbob said:

In the 70s, black people couldn't eat at the same restaurant or drink from the same water fountain in some places.

If they "couldn't" eat at a restaurant or drink form a water fountain there had to be some force of law that kept them from doing so. Which state and town still enforced Jim Crow laws in the 1970s Hondo?

And notice how you're not saying that there was one isolated incident you're saying black people period couldn't do these things in "some" places. Where were those places Hondo?

Read my link and Race's link. Idiot. You are also an old white dude from the West coast who has no idea anything about the south and what happened.

Fuck you can watch the movie remember the Titans, which is based on a true story set in 1971. That was in Virginia.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Ben Steelman
    StarNews

El oh El!!!!

Read for comprehension?

El oh El!!!!!!!

All we need is one town

But no mentions of water fountains.

How about you take your Feelings for a long fiery walk to the Dumpster while the rest of the posters talk about Facts.
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Read my link and Race's link. Idiot. You are also an old white dude from the West coast who has no idea anything about the south and what happened.

Fuck you can watch the movie remember the Titans, which is based on a true story set in 1971. That was in Virginia.
    Read your link. You lied Hondo. There were no public water fountains in the 1970s that blacks couldn't drink from.
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Don't you ever mention my link with your bullshit link that didn't prove anything

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Don't you ever mention my link with your bullshit link that didn't prove anything
    Race and Bob want to argue semantics over water fountains and ignore he larger point.
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Race and Bob want to argue semantics over water fountains and ignore he larger point.
    The larger point that you ran cover for racists in Virginia? I've mentioned that several times
    I drove from Oklahoma through Tennessee and Alabama to the Carolinas in the 70's but hondo knows more than me living in Montana, home of white nationalists.

El oh El!!!

By the way never saw a segregated drinking fountain
    Semantics?

Asking you where these "places" were is hardly semantics you dumbfuck.
    SFGbob said:

Semantics?

Asking you where these "places" were is hardly semantics you dumbfuck.

You are right. I forgot about context. You are an idiot arguing semantics and don't understand context.
    You didn't provide the "context" Kunt. You made a statement and were asked to provide some context in support of your statement. Where were these "places" where blacks couldn't drink from public water fountains in the 1970s? You can't provide this "context" because you were always lying out your ass. Even now, you can't admit you were talking out your ass so we're treated to more bullshit about "semantics" and "context" and given links that don't support your fucking mouth.
    SFGbob said:

You didn't provide the "context" Kunt. You made a statement and were asked to provide some context in support of your statement. Where were these "places" where blacks couldn't drink from public water fountains in the 1970s? You can't provide this "context" because you were always lying out your ass. Even now, you can't admit you were talking out your ass so we're treated to more bullshit about "semantics" and "context" and given links that don't support your fucking mouth.

Embarrassing. I knew you would be that dumb.

Context: you pulled my quote out from the discussion so you lack context of my quote. Idiot.

edited February 2019
    Does the rest of the "discussion" identify where these "places" are that blacks couldn't drink at public water fountains in the 1970s? You'll notice that Hondo's "context" Kunt act never materialized until after it was obvious that he pulled that claim out of his ass and is now lying about it.

Go ahead Hondo, give us the "context" that makes your statement accurate.

The only other "context" you supplied was your lie about me "blast[ing]" the Governor for wearing black face.

Can't wait for Bob and the rest to blast this dude the way they blasted the governor.

There was no other "context" that made either of your lies truthful Hondo.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter

Is she literally calling for a fight till death?
    I'm her huckleberry!
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Ben Steelman
    StarNews

You said there were many places in the 1970s where blacks couldn't drink from public water fountains. Where were they and how did they stop blacks from doing so? Did they arrest them? Beat them? Surely you've got some evidence to back up that ignorant mouth of yours Hondo.

And you weren't talking about a single isolated incident Hondo. You were claiming that it was still a practice that continued in many places.
    Hondo was in South Africa maybe.........Or India?