Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Breaking News - Water Still Wet (Larry Michael Scott Fupdate)

Comments

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Pac12 is so fucking retarded that I can't even buy it if I wanted too...

So I steal it from my 2X gfs old cable password and watch it streaming online.

I imagine that the 15 people that want to watch the Pac12 that dont live in China or on the West Coast are doing the same thing.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

I imagine that the 15 people that want to watch the Pac12 that dont live in China or on the West Coast are doing the same thing.

Yep. Use another login or reddit cfb streams.

The networks that do carry it, cost more and offer less than DirecTV. If you can get it...

The local bars here stream the channel when needed as well. They caught on.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,926
    Founders Club
    Dan Guerrero is either a boot licker or he's insane.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

that the Pac12 Network thinks having 7 different channels has any potential to be profitable is the second problem (outside of the Directv carriage). There simply isn't enough content produced by each state that is remotely interesting to people in other states...in fact, I'd argue that there isn't really enough Pac12 content from the entire conference that's of interest to the states in the actual conference let alone viewers in other states.

Like, who outside of the state of Oregon gives a flying fuck to watch Oregon State University play golf? Maybe you have 8 or 10 people in the whole country who would care so then the next litmus test is how much will they pay per month to access it? The reality is not much. There simply isn't a value proposition for 80-90% of the Pac12 Networks' content and what value proposition there is is going to be too expensive for what you really think it's worth anyway.

The Pac12 should simply have one channel (linear in the parlance of Michael Larry Scott)...fill that fucking channel up with football and basketball and then maybe, just maybe you've got something, but to ask the universities to buy back the coverage of games/events that nobody wants to watch and have the universities agree to that model is mind boggling. Does nobody at the universities who makes these decisions even fucking watch sports on TV? Clearly not because if anyone did then back in 2010 they'd have been like "Uhh, hang on a second Larry...this isn't making a ton of sense to me. I get you're enthusiastic about your model but I can tell you right now that all this stuff that doesn't include football and basketball will be a tough sell in my market. In fact, people (that is, all the administrators in these meetings), can we maybe do an anonymous vote here to see where we really stand?"

Well said

The only reason there is more than one SEC and B1G network is to show two football games at once instead of one. The networks just program the main channel year round. You get lots of look backs and replays along with shit like basketball and gymnastics and softball

The SEC gets the ESPN producers who do SEC Presents which is 30 for 30 on SEC legends. You can't tell me kids don't dig this shit

This smacks of typical Pac 12 presidents wanting everything to be "fair" and living in fear of Los Angeles dominating the programming
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Meek said:

that the Pac12 Network thinks having 7 different channels has any potential to be profitable is the second problem (outside of the Directv carriage). There simply isn't enough content produced by each state that is remotely interesting to people in other states...in fact, I'd argue that there isn't really enough Pac12 content from the entire conference that's of interest to the states in the actual conference let alone viewers in other states.

Like, who outside of the state of Oregon gives a flying fuck to watch Oregon State University play golf? Maybe you have 8 or 10 people in the whole country who would care so then the next litmus test is how much will they pay per month to access it? The reality is not much. There simply isn't a value proposition for 80-90% of the Pac12 Networks' content and what value proposition there is is going to be too expensive for what you really think it's worth anyway.

The Pac12 should simply have one channel (linear in the parlance of Michael Larry Scott)...fill that fucking channel up with football and basketball and then maybe, just maybe you've got something, but to ask the universities to buy back the coverage of games/events that nobody wants to watch and have the universities agree to that model is mind boggling. Does nobody at the universities who makes these decisions even fucking watch sports on TV? Clearly not because if anyone did then back in 2010 they'd have been like "Uhh, hang on a second Larry...this isn't making a ton of sense to me. I get you're enthusiastic about your model but I can tell you right now that all this stuff that doesn't include football and basketball will be a tough sell in my market. In fact, people (that is, all the administrators in these meetings), can we maybe do an anonymous vote here to see where we really stand?"

At this point the Pac12 should just move to live streaming on Twitch.

I can only imagine how glorious a UW football game would be with an actual live chat full of pepes and gachi memes.

It would also tie in nicely with UWs real focus, Esports expansion, could partner with Ninja and Fortnite.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Houhusky said:

Meek said:

At this point the Pac12 should just move to live streaming on Twitch.

I can only imagine how glorious a UW football game would be with an actual live chat full of pepes and gachi memes.

It would also tie in nicely with UWs real focus, Esports expansion, could partner with Ninja and Fortnite.
    so they kinda do have this as an option in a weirdly stupid way. What I tend to do is subscribe to SlingTV for 3 months each year. Sling lets you subscribe and then dump their bitch ass service with no penalty and then resume and dump (lather, rinse, repeat like she's some booty call vis-a-vis your girlfriend) where you can access the Pac12 Network. The way I use it is to simply record/watch the UW football games that did not make any of the normal channels/platforms that humans outside of China have. The truth is, I could probably live without this daisy chain system to simply watch us play La Grande Community College, but since I'm old and rich and don't really care about the money, I just do it. Fuck me for being stupid. Outside of the tier 3 games that end up on Pac12 Networks, there is zero reason to watch the channels at all. Literally zero. Okay, Pac12 in 60, but since I recorded the game I can watch the whole thing again...there is nothing to watch. At all. Ever.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I did a free trial of HULU to watch a Husky game once and then realized the Husky games that get shown on the Pac 12 net aren't even worth that modest effort
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    Seattle Times absolutely crushes it out of the park in a blistering article on the Pac12 Networks that digs deep into....

summarizing the articles written by Wilner and Canzano. Literally writing an expose that is nothing more than rehashing someone else's data....LOL.

• Options
    but mad props to Q It Up who tees it up to take a nice shot at Michael Scott. Well done sir.

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Houhusky said:

You can get Sling for $30/month if you really wanted it.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If your hot you can Sling for free
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,113
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Cal revenue too high

Cal reported a bigger hit over a longer buy-back process, reimbursing IMG to the tune of $7.1 million over five years.

Remove that from the Pac-12 Networks’ payout, and the Bears have received an average of $433,333 in net annual revenue — or 1/20th of the amount in the high range of the scenario presented to athletic directors.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wish I could buy PAC12 network. Streaming is very important up here.