Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Dems FS

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

2001400ex said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

They’ve literally created generators that are able to reuse radioactive waste, hth!

What could possibly go wrong.
    We could try to implement actions that will not work and we'll all fucking die squawking about whose fault it was. Righties and their love of fossil fuels, or lefties and their hatred of nuclear power. The funny part is it won't fucking matter, and the Earth will go on with us or without us. It's a fucking rock - it doesn't care.

That's what could go wrong.
    I don’t hate nuclear, I’m frustrated by arguments that make it seem as if there is no downside.
    Historically, nuclear power has been done poorly. That isn't a reason to believe it has to continue being done that way. Done correctly, there is very little downside to nuclear power - certainly comparable to implementing any power source on a large scale.

The downside to failing to significantly reduce greenhouse emissions is far greater and far more likely if nuclear power isn't a major player in your plan.
    This is where I am too. When nuclear has failed, computers took up the size of a room. There's no reason we can't use current technology to make Nuclear power safe and efficient to bridge the gap to when more renewable energy is available.

The reality is, every single every source has a downside. Almost like nature's way of saying you don't get something for nothing.

- fossil fuels will run out and pollute the air.

- nuclear has the whole waste issue and radiation

- wind looks ugly, isn't constant, kills birds and apparently is the sole reason for the extinction of insects

- solar is expensive, takes a lot of room, and only works part of the day

- dams kill fish and most of the rivers are already damned

- tidal hasn't really been developed and not sure it will and I'm sure it'll kill fish too

- battery powered shit doesn't work for long hauls and still relies on one of the above power sources

When you look at the above, I think it's clear we should invest some in nuclear with current technology. Until we get better technology over batteries and efficiency of electricity. A lot of energy is wasted just in transmission lines, but we can't store the energy well under current technology anyway.
    “We should invest”?

Of course you think the government should be in charge. Simple minds do.
    Where do I say, or even imply, that I want Government in charge? I do support tax payer funds spurning growth in green energy. But that is different than "in charge" fuckstick.

The private sector will sort it out. But sometimes they need a catalyst. Where would we be if the government didn't invest in the interstate system? Or many others things you'd call communism, but really have their place in history as reasons why we are the most productive country.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dflea said:

dflea said:

They’ve literally created generators that are able to reuse radioactive waste, hth!

We could try to implement actions that will not work and we'll all fucking die squawking about whose fault it was. Righties and their love of fossil fuels, or lefties and their hatred of nuclear power. The funny part is it won't fucking matter, and the Earth will go on with us or without us. It's a fucking rock - it doesn't care.

I don’t hate nuclear, I’m frustrated by arguments that make it seem as if there is no downside.
    Historically, nuclear power has been done poorly. That isn't a reason to believe it has to continue being done that way. Done correctly, there is very little downside to nuclear power - certainly comparable to implementing any power source on a large scale.

The downside to failing to significantly reduce greenhouse emissions is far greater and far more likely if nuclear power isn't a major player in your plan.
    Honestly, I would be surprised if nuclear doesn’t end up playing a larger role in it eventually. You have to remember this is a starting point not the finish line.

You negotiate by asking for everything so you can compromise down and still accomplish your goal. The biggest problem imo with the Democratic Party is moderates that want to start at sensible, not understanding that when you start there and then comprise what you get is ineffective, at best.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,029
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

dflea said:

Honestly, I would be surprised if nuclear doesn’t end up playing a larger role in it eventually. You have to remember this is a starting point not the finish line.

You negotiate by asking for everything so you can compromise down and still accomplish your goal. The biggest problem imo with the Democratic Party is moderates that want to start at sensible, not understanding that when you start there and then comprise what you get is ineffective, at best.
    I think you are right, the biggest problem is the democratic party. Has been since it began.