Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited September 2019

dnc said:

chuck said:

Chest is an idiot. Who the fuck cares about a receiver's ability to break tackles? Yeah it's nice, but having Andre Johnson strength is far from a prerequisite. Both Andre and Fuller can get open and can catch the ball. That's what fucking matters.

Receivers who are no threat to make a play after the catch are not good receivers.
    Doug Baldwin was shit after the catch but absolute money at the highest level.

Yeah it's nice to have someone who can do something after the catch but it's not a requirement to be a great receiver.
    Hearing Bacellia is Barry Sanders 2.0. Just what I’m hearing.
    Certainly not claiming Bacellia is anything special, just saying YAC isn't a prerequisite for a good receiver.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Chest is an idiot. Who the fuck cares about a receiver's ability to break tackles? Yeah it's nice, but having Andre Johnson strength is far from a prerequisite. Both Andre and Fuller can get open and can catch the ball. That's what fucking matters.

Receivers who are no threat to make a play after the catch are not good receivers.

Yeah it's nice to have someone who can do something after the catch but it's not a requirement to be a great receiver.
    Certainly not claiming Bacellia is anything special, just saying YAC isn't a prerequisite for a good receiver.
    There are always exceptions.

I guess we can agree that generally speaking, elite WRs have some combination of quickness, strength and/or balance that make them a threat with the ball in their hands. Especially in college.

Let’s not forget this was Baccellia’s second career TD on 83 catches and he wasn’t touched. His first TD was game one 2016 against Rutgers so I have no memory of it. Maybe he broke a tackle.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

I guess we can agree that generally speaking, elite WRs have some combination of quickness, strength and/or balance that make them a threat with the ball in their hands. Especially in college.

Let’s not forget this was Baccellia’s second career TD on 83 catches and he wasn’t touched. His first TD was game one 2016 against Rutgers so I have no memory of it. Maybe he broke a tackle.
    LOL I don't remember it either
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,353 Founders Club

Asking why they didn't try a longer field goal with Peyton Henry when they had an opportunity and he said he felt one possession it was in a grey area and that's why they didn't try it and also wanted to let the offense get some more reps as well.

Aka, We shouldn't expect a FG attempt longer than 35-40 yards all season.

That's because we couldn't make a FG attempt greater than 35 yards all season.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Baccellia left so many yards on the field against Ohio State. If he was better after the catch, it would have made a difference in that game.
    That's it right there. Guys who can get open, catch, and run with the ball make a difference in tough games. They are out there to be had and it's important to find them and get them on the field if we want to beat good teams.

Guys like we play catch short outs, curls, and screens and get 2-5 yards. Good receivers turn some of those into big gains and touchdowns
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    You guys are still missing the point.

It's hard to do all those things when brownsocks is throwing you the ball in a phonebooth.

Or running backwards zig zagging and tossing an interception to a linebacker or defensive lineman.

Receivers that have confidence problems in their quarterback play scared .. they can't just go and try and run past the db.

Remember that Ross highlight against cal where he had to slow the fuck down, catch the ball while the defensive player was twisting around, elect to juke a few times and then burn around the corner? Well if you're a healthy John fucking Ross you can do shit like that with Browning.

Now that we have skinny you'll see improvement with our current receivers. A good quarterback will make average receivers look good.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Domicillo said:
    Jaxson Kirkland looks way less caveman-ish than when he got here
    way less?
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236

Domicillo said:
    Jaxson Kirkland looks way less caveman-ish than when he got here
    He's grown into it.