Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2019 Recruiting Wrap Up Part Two: Defense

Refer to part one for the primer and to be more disappointed, then come back here to BRB, YO.

DL

Needed - A second consecutive class full of DT’s to stock the depth after the 2016 and 2017 disasters. At least one or two guys who can contribute right away, if needed.

Got -

Jacob Bandes / Pittsburg (Pittsburg, CA) / #86 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #57 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Faatui Tuitele / St. Louis (Honolulu, HI) / #83 Overall Composite (4-Star)/ #122 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Sama Pa'ama / Kaimuki (Honolulu, HI) / #353 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #385 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Noa Ngalu / Menlo-Atherton (Menlo Park, CA) / #642 Overall Composite (3-Star) / #457 Overall 247 (3-Star)

Analysis - This is just an embarrassment of riches. UW got three of the top 4 DT’s in the West. UW got the three best DT’s enrolling in Pac12 schools. Bandes is the highest rated of the three, Tuitele had the most hype for most of high school, but He’s a bad Sama Pa’ama might be the one UW fans are most excited about. He’s drawn constant comparisons to Vita Vea, and he’ll be 17 years old his entire freshman season. You read that correctly. He probably redshirts but he’ll play his four games and be a total monster when he takes off the redshirt. Bandes and Tuitele will be ready to play now, if called upon and at least one of them will be. All three can rush the passer and clog the run. I can’t even do individual write ups on each of them because if I do I’ll just gush all over the cyberspace and nobody wants to read that.

Oh, and Noa Ngalu feels like an afterthought but he’s an exciting player in his own right. Tuitele comes with the added bonus of his dad being one of the world’s greatest living humans (after Joey Thomas and Kevin King) and a hell of a recruiter on top of that. Shoutout to Justin Tuittele!

You can nitpick not getting Stephon Wright or Apu Ika if you want to be greedy. You can’t nitpick the players we signed though. Who knows if any of these kids will ever reach Vea, Rogers, Empterman status in the hearts of UW fans, but we do know we’ve never taken a DL class with this much potential. And the guy coaching them develops as well as anybody. This class will be so fun to watch grow.

Primary recruiter - Post Malloe

Talent Grade: A+
Fit Grade: A+
Quantity Grade: A+
Overall Grade: A+

How does the class compare to 2018? 2018 was a really good DL class, keeping Taimani from Bama and ND, flipping the best DT in Cali from USC late, taking Bynum out of Oregon, and getting the sleeper in state kid with the NFL future in Liu. This class makes that one look like @EsophagealFeces. Major improvement.

Outside LBs

Needed - A BUCK recruit who can get after the QB. Or three. Any BUCK recruit. A warm body even. Maybe a SAM.

Got -

Laiatu Latu / Jesuit (Carmichael, CA) / #128 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #98 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Bralen Trice / Sandra Day O'Connor (Glendale, AZ) / #458 Overall Composite (3-Star) / #590 Overall 247 (3-Star)

Analysis - Had Bralen Trice played any other position he probably would have been met with a collective yawn. He’s a guy with some nice tools who looks a long way from putting them together, but he was good enough to be pursued by Notre Dame and Oregon. Which meant there was no way we were getting him because Kwat’s edge rush recruiting has been worse than our TE recruiting.

But then a miracle happened and he picked us.

DDY had theorized for a number of months that if Kwat could just get one recruiting victory under his belt maybe just maybe he could gain some confidence and be serviceable, and I’ll be damned if he didn’t call it. Kwat followed up Trice with the first elite BUCK recruit of the Pete era. Latu has it all, he’s big enough to set the edge, he’s fast enough to wreak havoc on the QB, he’s violent. He can contribute right away, which he will probably need to.

Primary recruiter - Pete Kwiatkowski (with an assist from Malloe, Hawaiian shirt Pete and #PolyMovement)

Talent Grade: A-
Fit Grade: A
Quantity Grade: B (Could had used one more probably but this is a major step forward)
Overall Grade: A-

How does the class compare to 2018? Axe @RhythmicSlappingDawg. (For those who don’t speak HHese, huge improvement.)

MLB

Needed - A major injection of depth to compensate for multiple couch sales (Eifler, Wellington, Alebama)

Got -

Daniel Heimuli / Menlo Park (Menlo-Atherton), CA / / #199 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #155 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Joshua Calvert / Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, CA) / #219 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #242 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Miki Ah You / Kahuku (Kahuku, HI) / #686 Overall Composite (3-Star) / #419 Overall 247 (3-Star)

Alphonzo Tuputala / Federal Way (Federal Way, WA) / #1081 Overall Composite (3-Star) / #878 Overall 247 (3-Star)

Hammer Heimuli is the gem of the class, just a hair behind what Kaho was last year but with all his foreign language credits. Absolute baller who had Bama after him but wasn’t interested. He’ll play right away. Easily the most drama free late signee of the two signing period era, he seemed destined to be a Dawg for months. His tight friendship with high school teammate certainly helped with that.

Calvert is a great get who saw his brother endure the dumpster fire at SC and got the hell out of dodge. He seemed destined for UCLA at first but UW made a great pitch to him and his parents and here he is. The third Calvert, Ethan, is a 2021 LB prospect who will likely follow in Josh’s pawprints. If I had to guess now I’d say Calvert will not redshirt but he’s going to be one of the more interesting ones to follow, I could see him going either way. Classic EWIWBI case.

Ah You is sort of like Ngalu in that he feels like an afterthought but is a solid prospect in his own right who made an impact as a recruiter, except in Ah You’s case it was even bigger. He was a key player in recruiting all of his fellow Hawaaians in this class, especially Tuitele, and seems likely to help with some next year as well (along with his cousin Kingsley who is a stud OL prospect from Utah). Ah You’s ranking might have been better had he not missed basically his whole senior year with a torn ACL. He’ll almost certainly redshirt, rehab and bulk up and be ready to contribute if needed in 2020.

Tuputala is the lowest ranked position player in this class and easily the most underrated IMO. I like him better than a number of guys ahead of him (I put him at 13 in my personal rankings of this class, ahead of 3 kids who were rated 4 stars by the services). I really really like him. He’s going to be a run stuffing thumper. His family was bigly involved in recruiting other Polys as well, most noticeably Latu. I thought Tuputala might end up on the outside but for now at least it looks like he’s starting out inside.

Analysis - I’d argue that after BUCK this was the biggest positional need of this class and we hit a home run. Heimuli is my favorite ILB on the West Coast this year and Calvert is like 3rd or 4th. Tuputala is a stud and Ah You has nice potential.

Primary recruiter - Bob Gregory, with assists from Malloe, various other Poly recruits and Clay Helton.

Talent Grade: A-
Fit Grade: A
Quantity Grade: A+
Overall Grade: A

How does the class compare to 2018? Calvert is a better version of Sirmon, Tuputala is basically even with Tafisi and as noted Heimuli is a notch below Kaho. As far as signing day is concerned this class is basically last year plus Ah You so it has a slight edge. But Kaho never made it on campus, assuming these four do this year’s MLB class has a big edge on last year’s.

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Danny is way better than Kaho, hth.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Heimuli is my favorite ILB on the West Coast this year and Calvert is like 3rd or 4th.

Was #2 Toot Toot?
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Heimuli is my favorite ILB on the West Coast this year and Calvert is like 3rd or 4th.

Was #2 Toot Toot?
    Si
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117

Was #2 Toot Toot?
    Si
    Hate to play the hypothetical game cause he's gone but in a world where he did sign with us, do you think he would have played ILB or SAM? 247 lists him as an OLB and there was speculation last year that Kaho would have started outside.
  • Options

Was #2 Toot Toot?
    Si
    Hate to play the hypothetical game cause he's gone but in a world where he did sign with us, do you think he would have played ILB or SAM? 247 lists him as an OLB and there was speculation last year that Kaho would have started outside.
    I think they both would have played inside but had Toot come I think one of the five would have definitely played outside. Probably Tuputala or To'o.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Do you know something about Wellington that I don't?
  • Options

Do you know something about Wellington that I don't?

Sorry, supposed to say Amandre
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Brandon Wellington couch sale? Did I miss that one?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    53 seconds x4. I'm slow.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,864
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I feel like this should be talked about on a poddy. I can play the nasally one who talks over everyone, yells in all caps, and consumes way too many obscurely named drinks.

Does any one have shitty technical skills?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    God I LOVE this post, and the poster posting it.

Also, Swayexual should enter everyone's rotation. Immediately.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,463
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Free pub!!!!1!!!1!!!!
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2019
    When you read about our DL and DB hauls it is just absurd. It's like a damn Bama class, or as close as someone not named Clemson can get.

edit: Someone is probably going to show me I'm dumb because Bama probably got 3 5 star DL or some shit.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,195
    Swaye's Wigwam

I feel like this should be talked about on a poddy. I can play the nasally one who talks over everyone, yells in all caps, and consumes way too many obscurely named drinks.

Yes!
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,864
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yes!
    Let’s make this shitty shit happen! I’ll drink way too much and then try and read all of this stuff. Kinda like drunk history or every TSIO podcast.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,195
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yes!
    Let’s make this shitty shit happen! I’ll drink way too much and then try and read all of this stuff. Kinda like drunk history or every TSIO podcast.
    If @Swaye @backthepack and @LaMichael_Corleone continue to ignore my pm's this is what the board is going to have.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054

Disagree on Cam Williams. Lake commented on his hitting ability and he’s a playmaker. He’s good.

Agreed, while his straight-line speed might not be elite, he is definitely rangy. I think he could be a Tedric Thompson kind of player, and he was legit at Colorado.