Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2019 Recruiting Class Wrap Up Part One: Offense

HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
The honorable TBS Chief @Swaye axed me to put together a class wrap up and I’m just the HH junky to waste a couple hours doing it.

So let’s take a look at this positionally. I’ll provide a bit of analysis on each position, and four grades per spot: Talent (how good is he/are they?), Fit (how well does he/do they fit who we are, what we do and what we need?), Quantity (did we take the right amount? too many? not enough?), and I’ll average the three to give an Overall grade.

Oh, and I’ll be copypastaing a bit of data from @DoogCourics excellent 2019 class repository. Refer to the repository for links to their recruiting profiles and hudl’s. Also check out my Class Rankings to see how these guys all stack up in my eyes on one list..

Enjoy! Or fuck off. I’m cool either way.

QB

Needed - Future backup for Sirmon/Yankoff/Huard, someone capable of pushing the starter when the looser of Sirmon/Yankoff chinevitably leaves.

Got - Dylan Morris / Graham-Kapowskin (Graham, WA) / #171 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #249 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Analysis - Well. Morris isn’t a superstar (and is probably overrated a bit, even in the 247 ranks), but he’s a bit of a better version of Browning IMO. Accurate, cerebral and smallish, Morris has the sturdy build and receding hairline of a man in his early 30‘s, and thankfully a bit more arm than Brownsox. He also presumably handles pressure better than Jake did, because everyone handles pressure better than Jake did. Coming off a class with a 5 star and 2 four stars with big upside I think this is a reasonable expectation. Also, he’s an in state kid in a year we only took 3. Given the big in state classes to come we couldn’t afford to pass on him.

Primary recruiter - @Babuschka, technically. Pete, probably. Bush held onto him but I doubt he required much babysitting.

Talent Grade : B
Fit Grade: B
Quantity Grade : A
Overall Grade: B+

How does the class compare to 2018? Big dropoff (as expected).

RB

Needed - Two studs, at least one who can contribute early and one who can provide depth after we only took one three star last year in Newton (and only McGrew the year before that).

Got - Cameron Davis / Upland (Upland, CA) / #297 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #340 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Analysis - Davis is going to be a star here. He runs hard, moves well between the tackles while bringing big play capability. Of all our recent backs he reminds me most of Kamari Pleasant but I think he has both more speed and wiggle than Pleasant. I think he’ll challenge for playing time right away and most likely start by his sophomore year.

Primary recruiter - Bonerpopper.

Talent Grade: A - (I think he’s underrated)
Fit Grade: A
Quantity Grade: F (You had to get two this year, especially with the depth at RB. Whiffing on Charbeneaux and tapping out on Austin Jones was a major fail.)
Overall Grade: C (Only Davis’ excellence keeps this from being an F)

How does the class compare to 2018? Major improvement. Had we taken two, would have been a massive improvement, but at least we got someone we can feel good about this year.

WR

Needed - One stud who can contribute early and establish himself as a true #1 receiver, allowing Spiker, Osbourne and Jones to battle for #2 and Fuller to slide inside where he belongs.

Got - Taj Davis / Upland (Upland, CA) / #525 Overall Composite (3-Star) / #542 Overall 247 (3-Star)

Analysis - I like Taj a pretty good bit. He’s a borderline four star for me. He reminds me of Kasen Williams in that he has strong hands, a big frame and isn’t afraid of contact, although he presumably doesn’t love ganga more than practice like Kasen did. He doesn’t have Kasen’s leaping ability though. I think he’ll be a major asset as a blocker for running plays and receiver screens, and contribute a lot as a reliable possession receiver type in tight windows. He’ll probably add his fair share of TD’s eventually.

But as good as Taj is, this class will be remembered for who we didn’t get. Joe Ngata hurts too much so we won’t discuss him, but in a year where SC self immolated we failed to get Bru McCoy, Kyle Ford or Puka Nacua as well. All four of the above are elite. Taj is a major step down from that group.

Primary recruiter - The rotting corpse of Matt Lubick.
Talent Grade: C+
Fit Grade: C- (Davis himself fits the offense well but he doesn’t fill the empty role of #1 receiver.)
Quantity Grade: C+ (Would be a lot lower if I thought we needed more than one receiver in the class like the coaching staff did, but I’m fine with receiver numbers dropping a bit.) Overall Grade: C

How does the class compare to 2018? After two very good WR classes in a row this feels like a big time downgrade. Not only did we drop from three signees to one, but Davis is the only WR signed this year or last (or 2017) who is not a four star, and the services didn’t have him especially close to being one. He’s good but still a step down from all five (since Cook changed sides) guys in the two classes ahead of him.

TE

Needed - A WTE to fill in depth since we only took a BTE last year.

Got - Leai se mea

Analysis - Jordan PaoPao is an amazing coach. He has turned basically anyone he has signed into a star. You have to sign someone though. Back to back years of no blocking TEs for an offense that utilizes the hell out of blocking TEs is bad.

Primary recruiter - Gil Dobie

Talent Grade: F
Fit Grade: F
Quantity Grade: F
Overall Grade: F

How does the class compare to 2018? Culp was an exciting get, so this is a huge dropoff.

OL

Needed - No immediate needs but as always need bodies to develop for depth, ideally a couple tackles, a guard and someone who can play center.

Got -

Troy Fautanu / Liberty (Henderson, NV) / #374 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #214 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Julius Buelow / Kapolei (Kapolei, HI) / #333 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #320 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Rainier Beach (Seattle, WA) / Nathaniel Kalepo / #348 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #374 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Corey Luciano / Diablo Valley College (Danville, CA) / #29 Overall Juco Composite (3-Star) / #25 Overall Juco 247 (3-Star)

Analysis - The kind of OL class that harkens back to the James or Lambright eras. Julius Beulow is a project who received little development in high school but man, that size and those tools. It might take him three years to do anything but Scott Huff should be able to teach him some technique and turn him into a first or second day NFL draft pick. He should be a monster, eventually.

You could say the same about Nate Kalepo though his upside probably isn’t quite as high for the next level. His future is in college coaching anyway, he’s already a top three recruiter in the program with only Malloe and Lake in his tier. Future Tosh Lupoi, unless he can learn to actually coach.

Troy Fautanu was the lowest rated of the three upon committing but is the highest rated now in 247 which is all that matters. The last of the trio add his fourth star, he’s going to be the first to see the field. At only 6’3 1/2” he’s a little short for tackle but his ability is special. My best guess is he becomes a first round pick at guard but it wouldn’t shock me to see him play his way onto the field at one of the tackle spots. Wherever he plays, he’ll be gold.

Corey Luciano is a JUCO who has three years to play three. At 6’ 2 1/2 and lacking Fautanu’s special combination of strength and movement skills, he was recruited for one reason alone, to play center. Since the two man OL class three years ago with Harris and Wattenburg will leave the Dawgs with just one senior OL next year after Harris graduates (Watty), Luciano will slide in next to him as a fourth year junior and take over Harris’ center spot. Looch the Hooch may not be a future draft pick like the other three, but will eventually be our third consecutive All Conference center after Shelton and Harris IMO. #CENTERU

Primary recruiter - Scott Huff, with assists from Ikaika Malloe (all three high school signees) Nate Kalepo (the other two Polys), and Miki Ah You (Buelow). It takes a village.

Talent Grade: A
Fit Grade: A- (If Fautanu plays tackle the class lacks a guard, but that’s a minor quibble)
Quantity Grade: A- (Would have loved to have seen them take a Bailey Elder or Cole Thomas but four OL is a huge OL class for Pete who has basically always taken three except for the one year he took two. Major step in the right direction).
Overall Grade: A-

How does the class compare to 2018? Last year’s class was exciting, especially seeing Huff pull Mele from Arizona and Curne from Texas. This years class is a big step up, full blown NTD, BB status. Getting the best OL in state, the best OL in Nevada and the second best OL in Hawaii is a fantastic haul.

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You talked about it anyways but I would have considered center a need when considering recruiting lag.
  • Options

You talked about it anyways but I would have considered center a need when considering recruiting lag.

Huh?
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Good shit. I know we're all rightfully bitching about our WR/TE recruiting from this year, and are understandably underwhelmed by our short QB signee. But god damn that OL class. While ESPN continues to bemoan the "big man exodus from the Pac-12" which may or may not be true in respects to those soft LA schools, we have meanwhile signed the greatest two year OL and DL classes in program history. I jerk off rough for Huff.
  • Options

Good shit. I know we're all rightfully bitching about our WR/TE recruiting from this year, and are understandably underwhelmed by our short QB signee. But god damn that OL class. While ESPN continues to bemoan the "big man exodus from the Pac-12" which may or may not be true in respects to those soft LA schools, we have meanwhile signed the greatest two year OL and DL classes in program history. I jerk off rough for Huff.

Not sure this is true on the OL but it's certainly in the discussion.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,889
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

The honorable TBS Chief @Swaye axed me to put together a class wrap up and I’m just the HH junky to waste a couple hours doing it.

So let’s take a look at this positionally. I’ll provide a bit of analysis on each position, and four grades per spot: Talent (how good is he/are they?), Fit (how well does he/do they fit who we are, what we do and what we need?), Quantity (did we take the right amount? too many? not enough?), and I’ll average the three to give an Overall grade.

Oh, and I’ll be copypastaing a bit of data from @DoogCourics excellent 2019 class repository. Refer to the repository for links to their recruiting profiles and hudl’s. Also check out my Class Rankings to see how these guys all stack up in my eyes on one list..

QB

Needed - Future backup for Sirmon/Yankoff/Huard, someone capable of pushing the starter when the looser of Sirmon/Yankoff chinevitably leaves.

Got - Dylan Morris / Graham-Kapowskin (Graham, WA) / #171 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #249 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Analysis - Well. Morris isn’t a superstar (and is probably overrated a bit, even in the 247 ranks), but he’s a bit of a better version of Browning IMO. Accurate, cerebral and smallish, Morris has the sturdy build and receding hairline of a man in his early 30‘s, and thankfully a bit more arm than Brownsox. He also presumably handles pressure better than Jake did, because everyone handles pressure better than Jake did. Coming off a class with a 5 star and 2 four stars with big upside I think this is a reasonable expectation. Also, he’s an in state kid in a year we only took 3. Given the big in state classes to come we couldn’t afford to pass on him.

Primary recruiter - @Babuschka, technically. Pete, probably. Bush held onto him but I doubt he required much babysitting.

RB

Needed - Two studs, at least one who can contribute early and one who can provide depth after we only took one three star last year in Newton (and only McGrew the year before that).

Got - Cameron Davis / Upland (Upland, CA) / #297 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #340 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Analysis - Davis is going to be a star here. He runs hard, moves well between the tackles while bringing big play capability. Of all our recent backs he reminds me most of Kamari Pleasant but I think he has both more speed and wiggle than Pleasant. I think he’ll challenge for playing time right away and most likely start by his sophomore year.

Quantity Grade: F (You had to get two this year, especially with the depth at RB. Whiffing on Charbeneaux and tapping out on Austin Jones was a major fail.)

How does the class compare to 2018? Major improvement. Had we taken two, would have been a massive improvement, but at least we got someone we can feel good about this year.

WR

Needed - One stud who can contribute early and establish himself as a true #1 receiver, allowing Spiker, Osbourne and Jones to battle for #2 and Fuller to slide inside where he belongs.

Got - Taj Davis / Upland (Upland, CA) / #525 Overall Composite (3-Star) / #542 Overall 247 (3-Star)

Analysis - I like Taj a pretty good bit. He’s a borderline four star for me. He reminds me of Kasen Williams in that he has strong hands, a big frame and isn’t afraid of contact, although he presumably doesn’t love ganga more than practice like Kasen did. He doesn’t have Kasen’s leaping ability though. I think he’ll be a major asset as a blocker for running plays and receiver screens, and contribute a lot as a reliable possession receiver type in tight windows. He’ll probably add his fair share of TD’s eventually.

But as good as Taj is, this class will be remembered for who we didn’t get. Joe Ngata hurts too much so we won’t discuss him, but in a year where SC self immolated we failed to get Bru McCoy, Kyle Ford or Puka Nacua as well. All four of the above are elite. Taj is a major step down from that group.

Fit Grade: C- (Davis himself fits the offense well but he doesn’t fill the empty role of #1 receiver.)
    Quantity Grade: C+ (Would be a lot lower if I thought we needed more than one receiver in the class like the coaching staff did, but I’m fine with receiver numbers dropping a bit.) Overall Grade: C

How does the class compare to 2018? After two very good WR classes in a row this feels like a big time downgrade. Not only did we drop from three signees to one, but Davis is the only WR signed this year or last (or 2017) who is not a four star, and the services didn’t have him especially close to being one. He’s good but still a step down from all five (since Cook changed sides) guys in the two classes ahead of him.

TE

Got - Leai se mea

Analysis - Jordan PaoPao is an amazing coach. He has turned basically anyone he has signed into a star. You have to sign someone though. Back to back years of no blocking TEs for an offense that utilizes the hell out of blocking TEs is bad.

How does the class compare to 2018? Culp was an exciting get, so this is a huge dropoff.

OL

Needed - No immediate needs but as always need bodies to develop for depth, ideally a couple tackles, a guard and someone who can play center.

Got -

Troy Fautanu / Liberty (Henderson, NV) / #374 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #214 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Julius Buelow / Kapolei (Kapolei, HI) / #333 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #320 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Rainier Beach (Seattle, WA) / Nathaniel Kalepo / #348 Overall Composite (4-Star) / #374 Overall 247 (4-Star)

Corey Luciano / Diablo Valley College (Danville, CA) / #29 Overall Juco Composite (3-Star) / #25 Overall Juco 247 (3-Star)

Analysis - The kind of OL class that harkens back to the James or Lambright eras. Julius Beulow is a project who received little development in high school but man, that size and those tools. It might take him three years to do anything but Scott Huff should be able to teach him some technique and turn him into a first or second day NFL draft pick. He should be a monster, eventually.

You could say the same about Nate Kalepo though his upside probably isn’t quite as high for the next level. His future is in college coaching anyway, he’s already a top three recruiter in the program with only Malloe and Lake in his tier. Future Tosh Lupoi, unless he can learn to actually coach.

Troy Fautanu was the lowest rated of the three upon committing but is the highest rated now in 247 which is all that matters. The last of the trio add his fourth star, he’s going to be the first to see the field. At only 6’3 1/2” he’s a little short for tackle but his ability is special. My best guess is he becomes a first round pick at guard but it wouldn’t shock me to see him play his way onto the field at one of the tackle spots. Wherever he plays, he’ll be gold.

Corey Luciano is a JUCO who has three years to play three. At 6’ 2 1/2 and lacking Fautanu’s special combination of strength and movement skills, he was recruited for one reason alone, to play center. Since the two man OL class three years ago with Harris and Wattenburg will leave the Dawgs with just one senior OL next year after Harris graduates (Watty), Luciano will slide in next to him as a fourth year junior and take over Harris’ center spot. Looch the Hooch may not be a future draft pick like the other three, but will eventually be our third consecutive All Conference center after Shelton and Harris IMO. #CENTERU

Primary recruiter - Scott Huff, with assists from Ikaika Malloe (all three high school signees) Nate Kalepo (the other two Polys), and Miki Ah You (Buelow). It takes a village.

Fit Grade: A- (If Fautanu plays tackle the class lacks a guard, but that’s a minor quibble)
    Quantity Grade: A- (Would have loved to have seen them take a Bailey Elder or Cole Thomas but four OL is a huge OL class for Pete who has basically always taken three except for the one year he took two. Major step in the right direction).

How does the class compare to 2018? Last year’s class was exciting, especially seeing Huff pull Mele from Arizona and Curne from Texas. This years class is a big step up, full blown NTD, BB status. Getting the best OL in state, the best OL in Nevada and the second best OL in Hawaii is a fantastic haul.

This is great!

Do you have a job?

TYFYS
  • Options

QB

RB

WR

TE

Got - Leai se mea

OL

Got -

This is great!

Do you have a job?

TYFYS
    No.

Speaking of, here's a link to my Venmo. TIA!
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Huh?
    Center was maybe not an IMMEDIATE need but it was a NEED none the less but since you can't really bring in freshman to play on the line anyways I would say it was an immediate need if you look at it from the fact that it takes a few years to develop lineman.

Maybe BTP can help me say this without sounding autistic.

• Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Chinned for the phrase "wiggle than pleasant"
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,889
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

QB

RB

WR

TE

Got - Leai se mea

OL

Got -

This is great!

Do you have a job?

TYFYS
    No.

Speaking of, here's a link to my Venmo. TIA!
    What’s a lemon party orgy?
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Let’s tell it like it is:

QB: C
    RB: C
    WR: F
    TE: F
    OL: A
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    This is all fascinating, but somebody needs to get a tin of Bag Balm to Coker, STAT!
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    Tequilla said:

I really like how you laid this out ... kudos on that

Comments on Morris are spot on

Agree that Cam will be a star ... I don’t feel like it was a must for us to have 2 in this class unless we got the right 2 ... my feeling was that we needed a total of 3 between the 2019 and 2020 classes ... early trends suggest we are going for 2 in 20

Taj is a boom/bust prospect to me ... I suspect a lot of development is needed but there are tools to work with

Let’s hold judgement on TE until we see potential position switches and the 2020 class ... another spot where it’d have been nice but not necessary this year

Troy will be the best OL for this class ... I absolutely love him. I think he can play T but would agree that his ability to pull would make him an elite LG

Buelow probably needs 2 years of development ... but if he starts as a RS Soph/Jr he will be fine ... all the tools ... just needs to put it together

I honestly see Kalepo as a mauling RG ... I’m not sure I see him as a T but if he does play T it would be RT ... having guys that COULD play T being able to also play inside is far from a bad thing

Agreed that Luciano is the logical takeover for Harris ... existing Center can’t snap the ball

Feel like either Luciano or Curne will end up starting at center in 2020
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I think Curne is a G
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

I really like how you laid this out ... kudos on that

Comments on Morris are spot on

Agree that Cam will be a star ... I don’t feel like it was a must for us to have 2 in this class unless we got the right 2 ... my feeling was that we needed a total of 3 between the 2019 and 2020 classes ... early trends suggest we are going for 2 in 20

Taj is a boom/bust prospect to me ... I suspect a lot of development is needed but there are tools to work with

Let’s hold judgement on TE until we see potential position switches and the 2020 class ... another spot where it’d have been nice but not necessary this year

Troy will be the best OL for this class ... I absolutely love him. I think he can play T but would agree that his ability to pull would make him an elite LG

Buelow probably needs 2 years of development ... but if he starts as a RS Soph/Jr he will be fine ... all the tools ... just needs to put it together

I honestly see Kalepo as a mauling RG ... I’m not sure I see him as a T but if he does play T it would be RT ... having guys that COULD play T being able to also play inside is far from a bad thing

Agreed that Luciano is the logical takeover for Harris ... existing Center can’t snap the ball

Offensive to a former #MyKangs player.

• Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    Tequilla said:

I think Curne is a G

I feel with his skill set he could definitely play center too. If you don’t think he has a shot at center, then Luciano has no competition come 2020 once you look at the depth chart unless you believe in norgaard figuring it out and I don’t believe that will be the case.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

I think Curne is a G

I feel with his skill set he could definitely play center too. If you don’t think he has a shot at center, then Luciano has no competition come 2020 once you look at the depth chart unless you believe in norgaard figuring it out and I don’t believe that will be the case.
    Norgaard has been a disappointment to me

I suspect Luciano was brought in to win that spot because they had a miss previously

Could Curne play C ... possibly. He’ll be an interesting one to watch in the Spring.