Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dawgs at the Combine

Comments

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Kaleb highlighted in the “Combine Freaks” article on the Athletic.

7. Kaleb McGary, Washington, offensive tackle

In addition to bunch of talented DBs, the Huskies are bringing a really freaky big offensive lineman, the winner of the Pac-12’s Morris Trophy honoring the league’s top offensive lineman as voted by the conference’s opposing players. The 6-7, 323-pound McGary’s body fat is down to 13 percent, and his trainer Tracy Ford expects him to vertical jump 36 inches with a good shot at running the 40 in the 4.9s. McGary, a former standout basketball player in high school, figures to also be near the top among offensive linemen in the broad jump around 9-8 as well.

“He’s gonna light this thing up,” says Ford, who also trained another freaky offensive lineman in George Fant, now a Seattle Seahawk. “He’s really impressive.”
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    So now we know our All-American linebacker played at 213
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Whiteside only 6-2?
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Doogles said:

Whiteside only 6-2?

Well he wasn't standing next to Myles Bryant
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,978
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2019

Tracy Ford in guys who worked with him pre-Combine:

Kaleb McGary - "When he gets off the bus, you see it right away. He's a guy. He is explosive and can bend. That's what I'm not sure everyone knows yet is just how explosive and how he can bend and change direction. Everybody thinks he's strong, but how he can bend and jump. That's going to be something amazing to see what people think about. It might catch them a little off-guard, but again - when he takes off his shirt he's rock-solid. He's really well put-together."

Myles Gaskin - "The biggest thing for him is running a fast 40. Running a fast 40, and checking off the weight. He's just short of 199 (pounds), so him weighing in at 200, 201, 202 (he officially weighed in at 205 Wednesday in Indianapolis), just hitting that 200 mark and being able to run in that 4.4 mark in the 40 I think is really going to boost his stock. I don't think people know how fast he is. I think he can run it. He's showed that he can.

"Another thing is his strength. I think he's going to shock people on the bench press. He's a lot stronger than people think he is. He should hit anything north of 24 (reps of 225 pounds). I think he'll hit 25. If the adrenaline comes he might get two or three reps after that. And that's going to be important to him because a lot of people think he's small, but he's not. He's a stout, thick, well put-together kid that is very explosive and very fast and strong."

Ben Burr-Kirven - "So the pitch for him (to stay instead of training in California) was this: we're a blue-collar facility. If you want to get as strong and as fast as you can and put on the weight that you want to, you've got to work hard. You're a blue-collar guy and you came from a blue-collar college program. In high school you were kind of an underdog, an overlooked guy. That fits the mold of what we do for pre-draft at our place. We're going to push you, we're not going to sugar-coat it. But you're going to work hard. And a kid like that who likes to work, we're going to get every ounce out of your body. And the only way to do that is put your head down and work hard.

"My biggest thing with Ben (staying) is that we've worked with some of the best linebackers. The best linebacker in the league in my opinion is Bobby Wagner. You want to train with that guy and trust in us.

"The biggest thing for him was his weight. He was like, I can't gain weight. I've tried so hard. He came in weighing 213. He's now tipping the scales at 227. I told him, how much do you want to weigh? He said I'd just love to weigh 220. That's it? We're going to put that on with no problem.

"One thing that's going to be very important for him is his size, how big he is when he steps on the scale and I think people are going to be blown away by how fast he is. Because he can run. Everyone knows he has a high motor."

Jojo McIntosh - "Jojo didn't get the combine invite, so he's got a chip on his shoulder bigger than anyone else in the secondary. They got combine invites. He got left out, and he's got a chip on his shoulder. He's got something to prove. The good thing about it with us is, we have him until April. Until he has to go out and put up a 40 time, we have him until then.

"I told him the story of DiAndre Campbell over and over and over. If DiAndre had had a combine invite, I don't know if he would have inked a deal in the National Football League. I don't know how well he would have ran because we didn't have as much time. But with more time, that's a game-changer. You get to work a little bit more and have another mock pro day where those times will be recorded and then you have two more weeks after that to continue to try and get better. I think he's going to shock a lot of people at his pro day because they don't think he can run but he should run anything around a low 4.5, high 4.4. That's going to shock a lot of people because they don't think he can run that well.

"He came in weighing 206 (pounds). My thinking was, we wanted to get him lean. We wanted to make sure he could move as efficiently as possible, strip his body fat. It's very important for him to run fast."

All of what he said seemed so realistic to me. And then he drops jojo runnung a sub 4.5 40. Everyone else is expecting 4.6-4.8.

Is this for real?

His biggest knock by scouts is he is to slow to recover from mistakes. Sub 4.5 would be huge.