Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Show your support for what this community means to you:


Choose a Donation Amount
Username (required for credit)



Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. If you dare criticize Jimmy Lake, you won't last long.

New Watch Thread

245

Comments

  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 11,461
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

    Swaye said:

    So is this a battery watch or perpetual watch?Which do you prefer?

    I don't even own a battery watch. All my watches are mechanicals, or automatics as it were. I don't do quartz. I have a phone for accurate timekeeping. I only buy watches because the craftsmanship is amazing to me. I just like to look at them. None of them, and I have some nice ones, are more accurate than an iPhone.
    I think I asked you this before, but my Rolex runs about 10 secs fast per day. Seems like that’s still within spec? Do you agree?


    Opinions are like assholes on this stuff, but my opinion is 10 seconds fast is more unusual than 10 seconds slow. Neither is a huge issue. Slow usually indicates it needs cleaning or lubrication, whereas fast usually indicates it has been magnetized (yes mechanical watches can get magnetized which causes them to be off time). There are articles online for how to demag a watch. Might want to try that. Many of the newer watches are being designed with anti-mag properties - in fact Rolex made one many years ago, and recently brought it back. The Milgauss. I own one. Sharp watch. Omega Seamasters (higher end ones) now have a 15,000 gauss demag design.

    A Rolex should be serviced every 7 years they say - but vintage opens a whole new can of worms. How old is the watch? I like to get a watch overhauled completely once it is 5-10 years old, but then if it runs fine not touch it again until it needs it (which is judged my how it is timing). Almost like the first oil change on a fresh motor, do it at 500-100 miles to get any crud out of it, then it is fine to let it ride more.

    Let me know how old the watch is, and provide a pic if possible. I know you inherited it, so it might be REALLY old. And usually, on the really old ones, if it isn't REALLY off, you just let it ride because even service centers don't have the parts to fix the true vintage stuff. HTH.
    It’s an early 80s Oyster Perpetual Date Just with the Juibilee bracket. Never been serviced but sat in a box from the mid 80s to 2011 and was rarely worn. It think having it serviced by Rolex in Beverly Hills is like $800 or $1000. The one thing that sucks about it is this was still the era of acrylic crystals. They didn’t switch to the sapphire ones till the mid 80s.

    Alas I’m cheap and putting off the service because I have other expensive hobbies like whiskey and records. Plus I just renewed my season tickets. I hate money!!
    DerekJohnsonSwaye
  • SwayeSwaye Posts: 26,758
    Swaye's Wigwam Solar Eclipse Donator 25000 Comments Sixth Anniversary

    Swaye said:

    Swaye said:

    So is this a battery watch or perpetual watch?Which do you prefer?

    I don't even own a battery watch. All my watches are mechanicals, or automatics as it were. I don't do quartz. I have a phone for accurate timekeeping. I only buy watches because the craftsmanship is amazing to me. I just like to look at them. None of them, and I have some nice ones, are more accurate than an iPhone.
    I think I asked you this before, but my Rolex runs about 10 secs fast per day. Seems like that’s still within spec? Do you agree?


    Opinions are like assholes on this stuff, but my opinion is 10 seconds fast is more unusual than 10 seconds slow. Neither is a huge issue. Slow usually indicates it needs cleaning or lubrication, whereas fast usually indicates it has been magnetized (yes mechanical watches can get magnetized which causes them to be off time). There are articles online for how to demag a watch. Might want to try that. Many of the newer watches are being designed with anti-mag properties - in fact Rolex made one many years ago, and recently brought it back. The Milgauss. I own one. Sharp watch. Omega Seamasters (higher end ones) now have a 15,000 gauss demag design.

    A Rolex should be serviced every 7 years they say - but vintage opens a whole new can of worms. How old is the watch? I like to get a watch overhauled completely once it is 5-10 years old, but then if it runs fine not touch it again until it needs it (which is judged my how it is timing). Almost like the first oil change on a fresh motor, do it at 500-100 miles to get any crud out of it, then it is fine to let it ride more.

    Let me know how old the watch is, and provide a pic if possible. I know you inherited it, so it might be REALLY old. And usually, on the really old ones, if it isn't REALLY off, you just let it ride because even service centers don't have the parts to fix the true vintage stuff. HTH.
    It’s an early 80s Oyster Perpetual Date Just with the Juibilee bracket. Never been serviced but sat in a box from the mid 80s to 2011 and was rarely worn. It think having it serviced by Rolex in Beverly Hills is like $800 or $1000. The one thing that sucks about it is this was still the era of acrylic crystals. They didn’t switch to the sapphire ones till the mid 80s.

    Alas I’m cheap and putting off the service because I have other expensive hobbies like whiskey and records. Plus I just renewed my season tickets. I hate money!!
    Yeah, well at least you know it needs to be serviced. The good news is if you get a full service done on it it would likely last you 20 more years. But yeah, if it has sat for long periods I'd certainly service it as soon as you can. Like I said, I try for once in the first 5-10 years of life, then never again unless it gets way off.
    YellowSnow
  • Read only headline, self-esteem in the toilet
    SwayeYellowSnow
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 11,461
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes
    For only 2 yards of wampum per month I might rent some space in my Shoppe for @Swaye ‘s Pawn and Loan.
    Swaye
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 11,461
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes
    LebamDawg said:

    well I live on acreage, have goats and chickens, throw hay around every day, pruning fruit trees etc - so my Timex does not deserve a picture or mention on a thread for metrosexual men talking watches.

    Sheep too or just goats?
    Swaye
  • SwayeSwaye Posts: 26,758
    Swaye's Wigwam Solar Eclipse Donator 25000 Comments Sixth Anniversary
    LebamDawg said:

    well I live on acreage, have goats and chickens, throw hay around every day, pruning fruit trees etc - so my Timex does not deserve a picture or mention on a thread for metrosexual men talking watches.

    I have never been accused of being metrosexual. That's a first. I will cherish this moment.
    YellowSnowLebamDawgSoutherndawg
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Posts: 13,378
    10000 Comments 250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 500 Awesomes
    LebamDawg said:

    well I live on acreage, have goats and chickens, throw hay around every day, pruning fruit trees etc - so my Timex does not deserve a picture or mention on a thread for metrosexual men talking watches.

    Are you that fucker who keeps buggering my dog?

    He comes back his daily run around the guns and religion complex with sticky shit on his ass.

    #notjudging
    SwayeYellowSnow
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 22,271
    Solar Eclipse Donator 10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers
    Swaye said:

    LebamDawg said:

    well I live on acreage, have goats and chickens, throw hay around every day, pruning fruit trees etc - so my Timex does not deserve a picture or mention on a thread for metrosexual men talking watches.

    I have never been accused of being metrosexual. That's a first. I will cherish this moment.
    #MeToo
    SwayeYellowSnow
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Posts: 1,481
    Butler Cabin Supporter 250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Up Votes
    Too many to quote but answers are:
    just goats
    why would I mess with dogs when I have goats?
    I don't even know what a metrosexual man is but I don't want to hang out with them on the farm


    SwayeYellowSnow
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 11,461
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes
    LebamDawg said:

    Too many to quote but answers are:
    just goats
    why would I mess with dogs when I have goats?
    I don't even know what a metrosexual man is but I don't want to hang out with them on the farm


    Mama always said HH threads are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you gonna get.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 11,461
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

    Swaye said:

    Swaye said:

    So is this a battery watch or perpetual watch?Which do you prefer?

    I don't even own a battery watch. All my watches are mechanicals, or automatics as it were. I don't do quartz. I have a phone for accurate timekeeping. I only buy watches because the craftsmanship is amazing to me. I just like to look at them. None of them, and I have some nice ones, are more accurate than an iPhone.
    I think I asked you this before, but my Rolex runs about 10 secs fast per day. Seems like that’s still within spec? Do you agree?


    Opinions are like assholes on this stuff, but my opinion is 10 seconds fast is more unusual than 10 seconds slow. Neither is a huge issue. Slow usually indicates it needs cleaning or lubrication, whereas fast usually indicates it has been magnetized (yes mechanical watches can get magnetized which causes them to be off time). There are articles online for how to demag a watch. Might want to try that. Many of the newer watches are being designed with anti-mag properties - in fact Rolex made one many years ago, and recently brought it back. The Milgauss. I own one. Sharp watch. Omega Seamasters (higher end ones) now have a 15,000 gauss demag design.

    A Rolex should be serviced every 7 years they say - but vintage opens a whole new can of worms. How old is the watch? I like to get a watch overhauled completely once it is 5-10 years old, but then if it runs fine not touch it again until it needs it (which is judged my how it is timing). Almost like the first oil change on a fresh motor, do it at 500-100 miles to get any crud out of it, then it is fine to let it ride more.

    Let me know how old the watch is, and provide a pic if possible. I know you inherited it, so it might be REALLY old. And usually, on the really old ones, if it isn't REALLY off, you just let it ride because even service centers don't have the parts to fix the true vintage stuff. HTH.
    It’s an early 80s Oyster Perpetual Date Just with the Juibilee bracket. Never been serviced but sat in a box from the mid 80s to 2011 and was rarely worn. It think having it serviced by Rolex in Beverly Hills is like $800 or $1000. The one thing that sucks about it is this was still the era of acrylic crystals. They didn’t switch to the sapphire ones till the mid 80s.

    Alas I’m cheap and putting off the service because I have other expensive hobbies like whiskey and records. Plus I just renewed my season tickets. I hate money!!
    Yeah, well at least you know it needs to be serviced. The good news is if you get a full service done on it it would likely last you 20 more years. But yeah, if it has sat for long periods I'd certainly service it as soon as you can. Like I said, I try for once in the first 5-10 years of life, then never again unless it gets way off.
    Now you got me all stressed out thinking about how I need to spend all the grocery money on watch tune ups. Fucking asshole!!
    SwayeLebamDawg
  • SwayeSwaye Posts: 26,758
    Swaye's Wigwam Solar Eclipse Donator 25000 Comments Sixth Anniversary

    Swaye said:

    Swaye said:

    Swaye said:

    So is this a battery watch or perpetual watch?Which do you prefer?

    I don't even own a battery watch. All my watches are mechanicals, or automatics as it were. I don't do quartz. I have a phone for accurate timekeeping. I only buy watches because the craftsmanship is amazing to me. I just like to look at them. None of them, and I have some nice ones, are more accurate than an iPhone.
    I think I asked you this before, but my Rolex runs about 10 secs fast per day. Seems like that’s still within spec? Do you agree?


    Opinions are like assholes on this stuff, but my opinion is 10 seconds fast is more unusual than 10 seconds slow. Neither is a huge issue. Slow usually indicates it needs cleaning or lubrication, whereas fast usually indicates it has been magnetized (yes mechanical watches can get magnetized which causes them to be off time). There are articles online for how to demag a watch. Might want to try that. Many of the newer watches are being designed with anti-mag properties - in fact Rolex made one many years ago, and recently brought it back. The Milgauss. I own one. Sharp watch. Omega Seamasters (higher end ones) now have a 15,000 gauss demag design.

    A Rolex should be serviced every 7 years they say - but vintage opens a whole new can of worms. How old is the watch? I like to get a watch overhauled completely once it is 5-10 years old, but then if it runs fine not touch it again until it needs it (which is judged my how it is timing). Almost like the first oil change on a fresh motor, do it at 500-100 miles to get any crud out of it, then it is fine to let it ride more.

    Let me know how old the watch is, and provide a pic if possible. I know you inherited it, so it might be REALLY old. And usually, on the really old ones, if it isn't REALLY off, you just let it ride because even service centers don't have the parts to fix the true vintage stuff. HTH.
    It’s an early 80s Oyster Perpetual Date Just with the Juibilee bracket. Never been serviced but sat in a box from the mid 80s to 2011 and was rarely worn. It think having it serviced by Rolex in Beverly Hills is like $800 or $1000. The one thing that sucks about it is this was still the era of acrylic crystals. They didn’t switch to the sapphire ones till the mid 80s.

    Alas I’m cheap and putting off the service because I have other expensive hobbies like whiskey and records. Plus I just renewed my season tickets. I hate money!!
    Yeah, well at least you know it needs to be serviced. The good news is if you get a full service done on it it would likely last you 20 more years. But yeah, if it has sat for long periods I'd certainly service it as soon as you can. Like I said, I try for once in the first 5-10 years of life, then never again unless it gets way off.
    Now you got me all stressed out thinking about how I need to spend all the grocery money on watch tune ups. Fucking asshole!!
    This is my clever ruse to stick it to the white man.
    YellowSnowDerekJohnson
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Posts: 1,481
    Butler Cabin Supporter 250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Up Votes
    True story - I had a Seiko that went thru the wash. It was a gift from Mrs Lebam3 and so I dried it out best I could. the face on the damn thing rotated 15 to 20 degrees so the 12 was somewhere near where the two should be. So being a dork I planned on getting it fixed but about 2 years later (cue Chicago " Does anyone really know what time it is") as I was walking down the street a man comes up and asks me what time it is.

    I looked at my watch "and said, Does anyone really know...?" He thought I was being an asshole then I showed him my watch. We both burst out laughing. It was about that time that I decided to get it fixed...
    YellowSnowSwayeDerekJohnson
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 11,461
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes
    LebamDawg said:

    True story - I had a Seiko that went thru the wash. It was a gift from Mrs Lebam3 and so I dried it out best I could. the face on the damn thing rotated 15 to 20 degrees so the 12 was somewhere near where the two should be. So being a dork I planned on getting it fixed but about 2 years later (cue Chicago " Does anyone really know what time it is") as I was walking down the street a man comes up and asks me what time it is.

    I looked at my watch "and said, Does anyone really know...?" He thought I was being an asshole then I showed him my watch. We both burst out laughing. It was about that time that I decided to get it fixed...

    Now this is a cool story!
    Swaye
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Posts: 585
    Standard Supporter 250 Answers 500 Up Votes 500 Awesomes
    I got into watches, real watches, about five years ago. Before that my issued Marathon and a PX bought Wenger (both quartz) we’re good enough. Then I decided to get myself a retirement watch and, fast forward to now, I own a couple dozen watches. Nothing as fancy as Swaye because I’m poar, apparently. My nicest is a Ball Marvelight (blue) which is a Rolex Datejust homage. Otherwise I like what the micro brands are putting out and am eyeing the Damasko 343 and Sinn 556 as my next purchase. The Grand Seiko is a future, kids out of college, purchase.
    SwayeYellowSnow
  • SwayeSwaye Posts: 26,758
    Swaye's Wigwam Solar Eclipse Donator 25000 Comments Sixth Anniversary
    USMChawk said:

    I got into watches, real watches, about five years ago. Before that my issued Marathon and a PX bought Wenger (both quartz) we’re good enough. Then I decided to get myself a retirement watch and, fast forward to now, I own a couple dozen watches. Nothing as fancy as Swaye because I’m poar, apparently. My nicest is a Ball Marvelight (blue) which is a Rolex Datejust homage. Otherwise I like what the micro brands are putting out and am eyeing the Damasko 343 and Sinn 556 as my next purchase. The Grand Seiko is a future, kids out of college, purchase.

    Yes, finally another full on watch nerd! I LOVE the GS Snowflake (like everyone else)! Also, Sinn's are completely bad ass. I wish they woudl do an in house movement so bad. I used to have severeal ETA's but I have traded them all out for in house movements. My collection has actually shrunk majorly as I have upgraded/traded into several higher end specimens. I am still a complete lightweight though. Go to a nerdy watch show and see people bring in 250K in cased watches. I am not even sniffing that league. I did just buy a $1200 dollar winder a year ago though. When you buy a $1200 watch winder you know you have lost your shit. FML.
    YellowSnow
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Posts: 585
    Standard Supporter 250 Answers 500 Up Votes 500 Awesomes
    Damasko has their own in-house movement and, with their patented ice hardened case, is ticking all the right boxes. Except they haven’t put the right dial, case, and movement into a watch I must have...yet. Their $600.00 bracelet is bad ass but still about $300.00 too high.

    If you like micros, take a look at what Zelos Watches are doing. The owner (Elshan) is putting out some nice designs and getting more creative with each release.
    Swaye
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Posts: 11,461
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes
    Well Swaye looks like we’ve got a few watch fetishers after all.
    pawzSwayeDerekJohnson
Sign In or Register to comment.