Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

New Watch Thread

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Putting this here since horology is a mildly cultured thing, and the Tug is absolute Deep Anus AIDS.

So, it had been several months since I did any watch trading or buying. Figured I was owed one and had my eye on NOMOS for a long time. Found a real bargain on one, which can be hard to do in the US (especially not gray market), so I grabbed it.

NOMOS Zurich World Timer Midnight Blue, Ref. 807. It is not a true World Timer (good luck finding an in house movement true World Timer for between 5-6K). It's a GMT with a world wheel, but man can those Germans put out a sexy bauhaus watch. While Geneva still has far more high end manufacturers, what the Germs are doing in Glashutte is remarkable. Lange, Glashutte Original and NOMOS are a really powerful watchmaking trifecta. Wish I could afford a Lange, but since I can't, NOMOS it is.

Anyway, if there are any other watch nerds in here have at it. If not, EMFA.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    That's fucking beautiful.

I have a couple of Vincero watches which are nice-looking. Ironically, my Guess watch gets the most compliments from women. But my favorite watch to wear is this one:

Founders Club
    My Guess watch:

Founders Club
    Geezus H Krist on a popsicle stick, HH is getting SOFT
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    Founders Club

My Guess watch:

You know what is cool about that Guess watch, provided you like the looks of it, is that it is eerily similiar to a Hublot, but wont set you back 7-8 grand to buy it.

I like the trend in both lower end (not pejorative) and middle grade watches toward making stuff that looks like higher end brands. I like high end watches, for many reasons, but am fully aware that the price paid is mostly an absurdity. The NOMOS I showed I feel has good value, relative to what you are getting, but I know when I look at some of my other watches I paid triple what it costs to make because of the name. Meh. I love watches, and I hate money, so whatever.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2019
    I welcome all kewl, non aids infested, a-political threads in my Shoppe. And watches are kewl even if all I have is one hand me down quilcene oyster perpetual.
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

My Guess watch:

You know what is cool about that Guess watch, provided you like the looks of it, is that it is eerily similiar to a Hublot, but wont set you back 7-8 grand to buy it.

I like the trend in both lower end (not pejorative) and middle grade watches toward making stuff that looks like higher end brands. I like high end watches, for many reasons, but am fully aware that the price paid is mostly an absurdity. The NOMOS I showed I feel has good value, relative to what you are getting, but I know when I look at some of my other watches I paid triple what it costs to make because of the name. Meh. I love watches, and I hate money, so whatever.

I remember my Guess watch cost exactly $129.

If I ever become a very wealthy man, I will get what I deem the perfect watch -- Girard-Perragaux for $8,500.

Founders Club

Swaye said:

My Guess watch:

I remember my Guess watch cost exactly $129.

If I ever become a very wealthy man, I will get what I deem the perfect watch -- Girard-Perragaux for $8,500.

I love that Girard! I have too many grail watches to mention, but I love A. Lange, FP Journe, and JLC. Hell, some JLCs are actually somewhat affordable, like 6-10K. I've never been a huge Patek fan, and the fanboy side of me would love a Rolex Daytona. Glashutte Original really catches my eye, and on the lower end of the scale (5K range) I am interested in Montblanc and what they plan to do next. Pen company making nice watches. They have started doing in house movements, and I loved their recent Nicolas Rieussec line.

Anyway, here's an FP Journe I love that will only set you back 45K. Pretty cheap for them.

Swaye's Wigwam
    If only you had a legitamite son to give your watch collection too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw
    Founders Club

This is true. Watches are the only thing I do that has any culture to it whatsoever. The rest is all booze, Jeeps, guns, hunting, fishing, easy women and college football. It is my one respectable vice.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

This is true. Watches are the only thing I do that has any culture to it whatsoever. The rest is all booze, Jeeps, guns, hunting, fishing, easy women and college football. It is my one respectable vice.
    Jeeps and fishing hot talk is welcome here. Guns trigger Snowflakes like me and are bad for bidness.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Jeeps and fishing hot talk is welcome here. Guns trigger Snowflakes like me and are bad for bidness.
    I put my new gun purchases in the Tug to not offend your delicate sensibilities and to get Hondo frothing at the mouth.
    Founders Club
    There are only three people in this thread which makes me think nobody likes watches and this place is full of poors.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

There are only three people in this thread which makes me think nobody likes watches and this place is full of poors.

It’s early.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So is this a battery watch or perpetual watch?Which do you prefer?
    Founders Club

I don't even own a battery watch. All my watches are mechanicals, or automatics as it were. I don't do quartz. I have a phone for accurate timekeeping. I only buy watches because the craftsmanship is amazing to me. I just like to look at them. None of them, and I have some nice ones, are more accurate than an iPhone.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I don't even own a battery watch. All my watches are mechanicals, or automatics as it were. I don't do quartz. I have a phone for accurate timekeeping. I only buy watches because the craftsmanship is amazing to me. I just like to look at them. None of them, and I have some nice ones, are more accurate than an iPhone.
    I think I asked you this before, but my Rolex runs about 10 secs fast per day. Seems like that’s still within spec? Do you agree?

Founders Club
    Swaye said:

There are only three people in this thread which makes me think nobody likes watches and this place is full of degenerates.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,707
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

What's a watch?

Haven't worn one since phones put the time on the front
    Founders Club
    edited February 2019

Swaye said:

I think I asked you this before, but my Rolex runs about 10 secs fast per day. Seems like that’s still within spec? Do you agree?

Opinions are like assholes on this stuff, but my opinion is 10 seconds fast is more unusual than 10 seconds slow. Neither is a huge issue. Slow usually indicates it needs cleaning or lubrication, whereas fast usually indicates it has been magnetized (yes mechanical watches can get magnetized which causes them to be off time). There are articles online for how to demag a watch. Might want to try that. Many of the newer watches are being designed with anti-mag properties - in fact Rolex made one many years ago, and recently brought it back. The Milgauss. I own one. Sharp watch. Omega Seamasters (higher end ones) now have a 15,000 gauss demag design.

A Rolex should be serviced every 7 years they say - but vintage opens a whole new can of worms. How old is the watch? I like to get a watch overhauled completely once it is 5-10 years old, but then if it runs fine not touch it again until it needs it (which is judged my how it is timing). Almost like the first oil change on a fresh motor, do it at 500-1000 miles to get any crud out of it, then it is fine to let it ride more.

Let me know how old the watch is, and provide a pic if possible. I know you inherited it, so it might be REALLY old. And usually, on the really old ones, if it isn't REALLY off, you just let it ride because even service centers don't have the parts to fix the true vintage stuff. HTH.