Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

No yanky my wanky, the Throbber needs

..an answer to a question.

Talking with a business colleague, much younger gal (not hot at all, no pics -GFY for YKW) She’s a gamer chick. Says I should get the Nintendo Switch. True?

Haven’t really played videos since the early 2000’s. Still have a GameCube and a bunch of games. Had all the Nintendo systems since the original came out in mid 80’s.

Is the Switch the next logical step if I get back into it? If not what is?

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I have a Switch and love it, but I’m only a casual gamer. Never got into the Wii. I think what console you buy just depends on what titles you play.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2019

I have a Switch and love it, but I’m only a casual gamer. Never got into the Wii. I think what console you buy just depends on what titles you play.

Now that I think about it, we did have a Wii - biggest dust gathering system ever invented. Horrible controllers, pretty weak games. Good concept but same here, never got into it. I liked some of the retro games but they weren't as fun with those controllers. I'm more of Metroid, Zelda (though sometimes I don't get that shit), got into some of the sports games from EA, old school Mario guy. Mario Cart is fun but I like the original Mario the best. Jump punching for gold coins is the shit.

Played the fuck out of that damned GameCube though. Still have it hooked up at our remote luxurious 2nd home location known only to those with proper GPS coordinates and a pack mule. No fucking internet or TV there which pisses me off to no end and causes much marital discord whenever the topic is broached with Mrs. Throbber.

The Throbber does get into a lot of forest brb yo when there though - WTF else are you going to do with no internet or TV?!?

So time to gear up for the "Honey, I want to buy a Switch" conversation.

This may not end well.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It’s like revenge of the noyds in here.
  • Options

Pourin' out a 40 for Leisure Suit Larry.

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    We have two Switches in the house. The kids love it. Game portability is a big plus. Either take the little screen around like a big gaming tablet, or just take the whole dock and plug it in to any big TV monitor you can find. Kids were playing Dark Souls on the airbnb TV within ten minutes of our arrival in Rome in November.
  • Options
    Yeah, well, The Throbber is all in.

Mrs. Throbber.....maybe I waive the pre-nup annual blowjob requirement in exchange for a Switch.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    Founders Club
    edited January 2019
    BearsWiin said:

We have two Switches in the house. The kids love it. Game portability is a big plus. Either take the little screen around like a big gaming tablet, or just take the whole dock and plug it in to any big TV monitor you can find. Kids were playing Dark Souls on the airbnb TV within ten minutes of our arrival in Rome in November.

Bearswiin, Jr. "I don't really remember much about my trip to Rome, except that I beat my high score in Tetris!!!"
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

BearsWiin said:

Bearswiin, Jr. "I don't really remember much about my trip to Rome, except that I beat my high score in Tetris!!!"
    If only BW had a dime for every time he heard that...
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

If you're going to bash the greatest single video game of all time in Tetris, I'm the fuck out of here and taking BW with me.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I know you’re a man of letters and I’m not @BearsWiin but seriously, we might have to revoke your membership in the higher lever history discussion bored for playing video games in Rome.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I know you’re a man of letters and I’m not @BearsWiin but seriously, we might have to revoke your membership in the higher lever history discussion bored for playing video games in Rome.
    I had your back on the Tetris thing, @BearsWiin - you're on your own with the video game in Rome deal. I got nothin'.

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I don't even fucking play Dark Souls. I just take pics of my kids playing Dark Souls
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I had your back on the Tetris thing, @BearsWiin - you're on your own with the video game in Rome deal. I got nothin'.

I mean it's a great way to get the kids to shut the fuck up for 30 mins and get out of your face
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    Founders Club

BearsWiin said:

• Options

IRL, doing some consulting for a start up and the primary interact is a millennial chick (IKW, not hot whatsoever). I assigned her a list of tasks and she said she them completed after she was doing gaming.....uhhhh.....OK!

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I’m more of a PlayStation guy myself. I just think it has better games.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Be a grownup and game on PC.

But, yeah, I owe a lot of carpal tunnel to OG Tetris. Think I got to level 28 once, starting on level 9 and getting nothing but tetrises (tetri?) until at least level 14. Can't remember the final score, but it was up there. Routine was: Warm up for five or six games on level 19 (if you hold the A button down while choosing a level, it adds 10), then drop it back to level 9 for the final points attempt. You get maximum points by starting on about level 9, as you get 100 lines on the first level you start on and fewer on every subsequent level. Since points per line go up as the levels go up, you want those first 100 lines to be on a high-scoring level, but not so high that you can't tetris all 100.

CSB.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam