Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My deepest apology Dennis

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
Let me rephrase my question. Did you rank Ty Jones as a DDY 3? Has he lived up to those expectations yet? If not do you see him making a leap for the next two seasons? What areas of his game do like and dislike?

Is this better nacho shithead?

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    As if players stop improving after their sophomore season
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    He was rated a 3 by DDY
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

I don’t wanna speak for Dennis but this was my synopsis after watching the film this year and in high school. Dennis had him as a DDY3 because his fluidity and ability to make tough catches look easy on film (the opposite of Kennedy Lewis) was backed up by a verified 4.6 at that size. I would say he’s right on that fringe because when I see physical tools like that I wonder why his only other offers are BYU and Utah. I have no idea why he wasn’t redshirted as a freshman but here we are going into his junior and physically improvement wise I’d like to see him put on a lil more weight and a lil more quickness so he is more of a threat in YAC on quick hitches, slants, and bubbles that go from 3 yards to 7 and 7 into 10.

He has not lived up to that potential and a lot has to do with Jake losing trust in him to just give him a chance. Big receivers aren’t going to get all the separation in the world but they have an advantage to where 50/50’s are more like 60/40’s. You can see that back shoulder fade against cal that he bobbled and eventually dropped being thrown by Skinny a shit ton because of the transition making it impossible to defend. But with Jakes tendencies of being late and needing to see the WR open first before throwing in fear of making a big mistake, they did not play to each other’s strengths.

The biggest area of concern for him moving forward is understanding the nuances of a zone defense. A lot of people were talking about the Utah game hurting his confidence but I think it was the Colorado game. We can all remember that 3rd down where he ran a drag and Browning got him the ball late but Ty fell down because he didn’t even see Jake throw it. He has to read that zone and sit to where Jake can get him the ball instead of running all the way to the other side where Jake has to throw across his body.

Same game 3rd and 5 with 4 minutes left in the 4th just before the Aaron fuller slant TD on 4th and 5 they run a mesh play with Ty running a dig and again instead of sitting in an area with no defenders he continues to run and the throw is behind him.

The problem in recruiting isn’t that we got Ty and he’s flopped lately. The problem is that we didn’t get two Ty’s to help push him. Cough cough Tyler Vaughns and Nkeal Harry. Again for us to have to play him as a true freshman just to get 12 catches is a joke and that’s not Ty’s fault. The question has to be why aren’t we getting more DDY3’s so we don’t have to heavily rely on hitting the jack pot on one guy. Najee Harris was the number 1 overall recruit in the country and is 3rd string on Bama. They aren’t even relying on the number 1 overall recruit to be a huge production piece but we’re all sitting here with our dicks in our hands waiting for Ty to take over.

This is exactly how I feel.
    #MeToo
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    I disagree to an extent.

If Jake can't stretch the field with his arm or make good decisions (like hitting the wide open receiver) you can't fully expect a receiver with ty Jones characteristics to flourish. Simple as that.

Jones isn't a separation guy. He's a size and position dominant receiver.

Remember. Playing Jake at quarterback is like playing football in a phone booth instead of a squash court.

If you had Eason at full time quarterback we probably would have seen more production and development from Jones... and Gaskin and opera singer and fuller etc. Keeping the defense honest, on their heels and with a wide open playing field is underrated.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726

I don’t wanna speak for Dennis but this was my synopsis after watching the film this year and in high school. Dennis had him as a DDY3 because his fluidity and ability to make tough catches look easy on film (the opposite of Kennedy Lewis) was backed up by a verified 4.6 at that size. I would say he’s right on that fringe because when I see physical tools like that I wonder why his only other offers are BYU and Utah. I have no idea why he wasn’t redshirted as a freshman but here we are going into his junior and physically improvement wise I’d like to see him put on a lil more weight and a lil more quickness so he is more of a threat in YAC on quick hitches, slants, and bubbles that go from 3 yards to 7 and 7 into 10.

He has not lived up to that potential and a lot has to do with Jake losing trust in him to just give him a chance. Big receivers aren’t going to get all the separation in the world but they have an advantage to where 50/50’s are more like 60/40’s. You can see that back shoulder fade against cal that he bobbled and eventually dropped being thrown by Skinny a shit ton because of the transition making it impossible to defend. But with Jakes tendencies of being late and needing to see the WR open first before throwing in fear of making a big mistake, they did not play to each other’s strengths.

The biggest area of concern for him moving forward is understanding the nuances of a zone defense. A lot of people were talking about the Utah game hurting his confidence but I think it was the Colorado game. We can all remember that 3rd down where he ran a drag and Browning got him the ball late but Ty fell down because he didn’t even see Jake throw it. He has to read that zone and sit to where Jake can get him the ball instead of running all the way to the other side where Jake has to throw across his body.

Same game 3rd and 5 with 4 minutes left in the 4th just before the Aaron fuller slant TD on 4th and 5 they run a mesh play with Ty running a dig and again instead of sitting in an area with no defenders he continues to run and the throw is behind him.

The problem in recruiting isn’t that we got Ty and he’s flopped lately. The problem is that we didn’t get two Ty’s to help push him. Cough cough Tyler Vaughns and Nkeal Harry. Again for us to have to play him as a true freshman just to get 12 catches is a joke and that’s not Ty’s fault. The question has to be why aren’t we getting more DDY3’s so we don’t have to heavily rely on hitting the jack pot on one guy. Najee Harris was the number 1 overall recruit in the country and is 3rd string on Bama. They aren’t even relying on the number 1 overall recruit to be a huge production piece but we’re all sitting here with our dicks in our hands waiting for Ty to take over.

Thank you La_Michael. I can RELAX now.