Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

So an OKG pussed out and skipped the Rose Bowl to avoid injury

BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
Pete wants guys from good families that make prudent decisions, and follow the advice of their elders... and coaches.

Pete doesn't take risks on guys with questionable decision making, or guys with poor grades, or guys from risky families. Don James would have taken those guys, if they were athletes and winners, but not Pete.

Don James would take them, and make them into a team.

Pete doesn't want to work that hard. He only wants the guys that are model citizens. Prudent decision makers. Guys that keep their emotion under check.

Should we really be surprised that a prudent decision maker chose to avoid the risk of playing in the Rose Bowl? He looked at the risk and reward. He made the prudent choice. He made an OKG choice.

Comments

• biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,090
    Of course it’s bothering people. It feels like that’s a game we could’ve/should’ve won. Everybody’s pissed or dejected. We are Husky fans it’s what we know.

Still a pressing take though.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited January 2019

I don’t care if a guy sits out a bowl game outside of the playoff. The college football playoff has made all other bowls, including the Major bowl games when the games are not in the current playoff year rotation utterly worthless. Make the playoff or GTFO.

Just don't lie TO OUR FACES about why you couldn't play. That's my gripe. Take the criticism like a man.
    Agree

People who understand the game and the business, appreciate the honesty. These people also understand and support the decision.

I also don’t mind these guys sitting out also being able to make the trip. The bowl game is a “reward” for the regular season, which the player contributed to. So be adults and let the kid do all the fun stuff and let him sit if he wants.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855

I don’t care if a guy sits out a bowl game outside of the playoff. The college football playoff has made all other bowls, including the Major bowl games when the games are not in the current playoff year rotation utterly worthless. Make the playoff or GTFO.

Just don't lie TO OUR FACES about why you couldn't play. That's my gripe. Take the criticism like a man.
    Is the only source for this still just second hand story from 2 retired gladiator legends who got liquored up in front of some wide-eyed fans and talked about how tough you had to be back in their day? And a mom who may have just been repeating that?
    I heard he martyrd himself to take the heat off Browning. Real OKG.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,138

Is the only source for this still just second hand story from 2 retired gladiator legends who got liquored up in front of some wide-eyed fans and talked about how tough you had to be back in their day? And a mom who may have just been repeating that?
    No. Are you even fucking paying attention?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Quit on your teammates in their moment of Glory AND travel with and Party with the team?

Take down the scoreboards now.

Invest in Juice boxes companies.

The end.
  • minion_doogminion_doog Member Posts: 1,996
    EwaDawg said:

No. Are you even fucking paying attention?
    Oh. Well, while this is very compelling, I'll continue to maintain caution
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

Quit on your teammates in their moment of Glory AND travel with and Party with the team?

The end.

A major bowl non-playoff game is no longer glory worthy. If you quit during the playoff, then yeah for sure, that's a problem. But to expect these high level NFL prospects to play even a Rose Bowl that doesn't provide any merit is ridiculous. Willis Mcgahee killed his career in a title game. Imagine if that happened in a meaningless bowl game...

The Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Cotton Bowl are only relevant the years they represent the playoff...period
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

The end.

A major bowl non-playoff game is no longer glory worthy. If you quit during the playoff, then yeah for sure, that's a problem. But to expect these high level NFL prospects to play even a Rose Bowl that doesn't provide any merit is ridiculous. Willis Mcgahee killed his career in a title game. Imagine if that happened in a meaningless bowl game...

The Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Cotton Bowl are only relevant the years they represent the playoff...period
    Nah. I call bullshit on that. Football is and will always be a team sport. You start with the precedent of kids sitting out bowl games then the next step is kids sitting out the last two or three games of the regular season because they are meaningless too. Fuck if you don't want to be a good team mate then take up golf or darts.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,948 Founders Club
    whuggy said:

The end.

Nah. I call bullshit on that. Football is and will always be a team sport. You start with the precedent of kids sitting out bowl games then the next step is kids sitting out the last two or three games of the regular season because they are meaningless too. Fuck if you don't want to be a good team mate then take up golf or darts.
    That precedent has already happened with Nick Bosa playing 3 games, getting surgery and then saying he’ll sit out the rest of the way.

That said, he’s likely a top 3-5 pick in the draft compared to Rapp who is maybe a 1st rounder if he does well at the combine.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,631 Founders Club
    Anyone that was there knows how much that win meant to Buckeye players, coaches, and fans

As much as it would have meant to us
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,549 Founders Club
    Next they'll start sitting out the cupcake games, especially all the ones the SEC schedules in mid November. "Yo, coach, I uhh have a groin injury. I can't play against Idaho." Then it'll be the easier conference games and so on. You can get injured playing pick up basketball or skiing, skateboarding, or doing anything. Should there be some sort of insurance set up for them? Sure, probably but they still are getting a free education. They're letting down their teammates, coaches, the alumni, and fans. It's not all about them. It's not tennis or golf. It's a team game.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    edited January 2019
    At the end of the day I hope he makes the first round and reps washington throughout his NFL career.

I mean, he be haff Asian.

He crunched the numbers and did the HH maff and it is what it is.
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    biak1 said:

Of course it’s bothering people. It feels like that’s a game we could’ve/should’ve won. Everybody’s pissed or dejected. We are Husky fans it’s what we know.

Still a pressing take though.

Disagree. This has some valid points. There are players that Don James would have taken, that Petersen won't take. That hurts our on the field product.

Instead, Petersen takes prudent guys that listen to their elders and authorities. Guys that listen to actuaries and odds makers about the chances of making an injury worse and having that hurt their draft stock.

I doubt anybody on a Don James team would have sat out a Rose Bowl, and tried to hide behind an injury that many know wasn't that bad.

The points might be presented in a tone that some view as pressing, but that doesn't change the fact that the points are 100% valid.

So, fuck off.