Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Random Rose Bowl Thoughts

CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
Was going to put this with my TLDR season though post but it would have been overkill but here are some footnotes after having a GOOD night's sleep:

- Defense can't get a pass rush in big games which siginificantly hurts every other aspect of it, especially the secondary. The pass rush is the Browning of the defense right now. Can handle P12 competition but can't do shit against quality teams. Until something changes, upper tier QBs are going to keep eating this defense alive.

- Still don't really know what to think about Rapp. Last night I was pretty pissed because everything looks extremely fishy. Personally I still think he had a slight injury and didn't want to hurt his draft stock but I will wait to hear something more definitive. It is perfectly fine for people to be upset about it right now, especially for people who attended the game. You take time off and spend a decent amount of money to go watch your team win and one of your most important players goes "nah im good".

- None of the big time defensive playmakers stepped up to make that momentum changing strip or interception yesterday which was really disappointing.

- Why did it take us 3 fucking quarters before we remembered Hunter Bryant was on the team? Out of all the aspects of our offense that pissed me the fuck off last night, that got me the most heated. If you are going to throw the ball 25 times in the first half like a fucking idiot, then 10 of those attempts should be to the Beast. There isn't another coach in the country right now that misuses his big time playmakers like Petersen and that shit needs to stop.

- Ty Jones has something going on between the ears right now. Hoping that next year he can erase the big time dropped balls and come in and be that big time red zone threat we need.

- Fuller and Baccelia should not be the go to guys on this offense. I don't think they are bad players but they are never going to scare any team. Really hoping Jones, Osbourne, Bynum, and Spiker can step up next year and start to take over the role as the go to, because we all know we won't throw to Bryant unless it is the Apple Cup or until it is the 4th quarter.

- The Strausser Effect was full go last night. Trey is a shadow of his former self right now, I am hoping with 6 months to recover he can come back and be 80-85% of what he use to be. The rest of the O Line is just not good against upper to elite talent like OSU has. OSU doesn't even have that great of a defense and we made them look like the Steel Curtain for 4 quarters.

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    edited January 2019

Was going to put this with my TLDR season though post but it would have been overkill but here are some footnotes after having a GOOD night's sleep:

- Defense can't get a pass rush in big games which siginificantly hurts every other aspect of it, especially the secondary. The pass rush is the Browning of the defense right now. Can handle P12 competition but can't do shit against quality teams. Until something changes, upper tier QBs are going to keep eating this defense alive.

We haven't had a pass rush in 2 seasons. And it was situational before that. You have to back to Jamora to find a consistent quality pass rush. This is a recruiting issue. I hope Tryon (we got lucky there) can bridge us to Latu/Trice and hopefully eventually Smalls (prayingdog).

- Why did it take us 3 fucking quarters before we remembered Hunter Bryant was on the team? Out of all the aspects of our offense that pissed me the fuck off last night, that got me the most heated. If you are going to throw the ball 25 times in the first half like a fucking idiot, then 10 of those attempts should be to the Beast. There isn't another coach in the country right now that misuses his big time playmakers like Petersen and that shit needs to stop.

FUCKING THIS. I was going crazy in the second half over the misuse of TE's and Gaskin. It feels like our coaches take twice as long as everyone else to figure out what will work. I get that it takes time to discover mismatches. I do not expect them to have it nailed on the second series. But you should be probing and learning the whole time and not have to get 3 minutes into the 4th quarter to realize "Well look at that Gaskin CAN gash them for chunk yardage and that Bryant kid is a complete mismatch we can exploit." Why the fuck does it take us 80 percent of the game to figure this out? Morons!

- Ty Jones has something going on between the ears right now. Hoping that next year he can erase the big time dropped balls and come in and be that big time red zone threat we need.

Podcast early this season I was very bullish on him. I now think I might have just been stupid. He just isn't getting it. By mid season next year he will have either figured it out, or we should send him packing to Montana State.

- Fuller and Baccelia should not be the go to guys on this offense. I don't think they are bad players but they are never going to scare any team. Really hoping Jones, Osbourne, Bynum, and Spiker can step up next year and start to take over the role as the go to, because we all know we won't throw to Bryant unless it is the Apple Cup or until it is the 4th quarter.

I LOVE Fuller and Count Chocula. LOVE THEM and I will fight anyone who disagrees and wants to go fists over it. But, as has been widely reported, they aren't number 1s. In an ideal world they are both slot guys that rotate. In a less than ideal world Fuller is your 2, and Chocula is your slot. In our shitty world they are 1 & 2 because of terrible recruiting and see above on Ty Jones.

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    On Gaskin getting chunk yardage...I was too busy yelling at the tv and my child to take specific notes on Ohio State's schemes but I would bet dollars to donuts that the difference in Gaskin's first half to second half was due to a change in defensive personnel with a 21-3 lead not a change in usage on UW's part.

On Bryant...I remember seeing him wide open on one specific occasion in the first half but Browning can't see the middle of the field when he is panicking and backpedaling. Also, similar to my point on Gaskin I would guess that OSU's original defensive gameplan focused on Bryant since he was the only really threatening receiver.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Ohio State has 11 players within 10 yards of LOS throughout balance of the game
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,425 Swaye's Wigwam
    Ohio State's defense reminded me of the UCLA game. Neither is actually good but both have the talent to stop our offense if they get up out of bed to.
  • PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,268 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019
    He hasn’t even come close to a full recovery but he is safe to play. Barring injury he will be better next year. Don’t worry about Trey.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

He hasn’t even come close to a full recovery but he is safe to play. Barring injury he will be better next year. Don’t worry about Trey.

Don't every worry about a Wenatchee Boy!