Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My thoughts on this season and the future

CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
I tried to convince myself all December this NY6 bowl game would be different. This was when Jake would make everyone forget his past big game meltdowns and walk away as one of the better UW QBs ever. When yesterday actually came I just wasn't that confident. I picked UW 31-28 just because I always root for MY DAWGS but when Ohio State went up 14-3 I just shrugged my shoulders and was like meh... typical. At the end when we were trying to make our heroic comeback I knew there was no chance in hell it would happen. This loss was less depressing than both PSU and Bama because deep down inside I knew it wasn't going to be different.

To me this season was both a success and a failure. Success in that we? got to our ceiling with another P12 championship but also failed in taking that next step for the 3rd time in a row, which is really concerning. It was pretty clear after Alabama that an offense that relies on Jake making plays was never going to get us to the next level, yet we kept trying to do just that even after hiring a new OC. On top of that, our offense besides Gaskin never took on the toughness our defense has showed since Petersen has got here. Dropped passes, inconsistent O line play, terrible throws and decisions, awful play calling. Luckily, I am optimistic that the recent uptick in recruiting is going to help out a lot of these problems over the next couple of years. What worries me is that Pete keeps making bad decisions on the person ell on that side of the ball, specifically the coordinator position. We need a fucking identity, which should be a simple run the football and use the play action off of that. Yet we get these weird fake misdirection bootleg quadruple option blah blah blah.

Petersen is still the guy, no doubt in my mind. To say the program isn't on a much higher level than it was 5 years ago is a lie. Being in this NY6 gatekeeper purgatory for 3 years is not ok though, something needs to change because something is obviously not working. Besides coaches who would never come to UW like Saban and Dabo, there isn't another coach who I would want right now.

Next year will tell us a lot. We have a QB with elite talent, a group of recruits who on paper have more talent overall than what we have had in the past, a favorable schedule. Absolutely no reason why we shouldn't win the P12 again and have another crack at a NY6 game with a offense that won't come out scared not scoring for 3 fucking quarters.

TLDR: This year was good and bad (more of this), Pete is still the guy but needs to stop hanging out in this NY6 gatekeeper purgatory he is in, and next year we should really be able to tell what the future will be like.

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    I get this real uneasy feeling that while there will be elements of the offense that are much better, like a big armed QB and excellent TE's (Black Beast AND Otten) that are better utilized, we are going to miss Gaskin more than we thought, the OL will still be a bit inconsistent, our WR's will still not a feature a true number 1 bid dick playa, and our philosophy and play calling will still be all over the place.

D should take a step back losing BBK, Gaines and the entire starting secondary, but I learned to never bet against the two headed monster that is KwatLake.

Yeah, mixed bag for sure with lots of unknowns. 12-0 if Eason is the guy we hope he is and one of our stable of RB's steps up, while we also finally find that true number 1 receiver we missed this year (Jones? Spiker? Osbourne? Ford????). Maybe we can do it without a true #1 though because Black Beast is an entirely different kind of cat than most teams are blessed with. I FUCKING LOVE HIM!

I am just babbling now. Next year will be a hugely interesting year to be sure. Or not.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,631 Founders Club
    At least next season won't end in August because we don't play anyone good for awhile

Pete took that Auburn game because that's when you should - 4 year starter at QB and all the rest. And that game was the template for the season in almost every regard from the red zone follies to the defense not holding on when they had to even though they had no support.

Its a team game and everyone from the head coach down to the ball washers need to step it up
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,425 Swaye's Wigwam
    Next season the schedule is going to be as determining a factor as ever. Cupcakes galore. Hate it if you want, it's going to guarantee us a NY6 and a possible shot at the CFP.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

I tried to convince myself all December this NY6 bowl game would be different. This was when Jake would make everyone forget his past big game meltdowns and walk away as one of the better UW QBs ever. When yesterday actually came I just wasn't that confident. I picked UW 31-28 just because I always root for MY DAWGS but when Ohio State went up 14-3 I just shrugged my shoulders and was like meh... typical. At the end when we were trying to make our heroic comeback I knew there was no chance in hell it would happen. This loss was less depressing than both PSU and Bama because deep down inside I knew it wasn't going to be different.

To me this season was both a success and a failure. Success in that we? got to our ceiling with another P12 championship but also failed in taking that next step for the 3rd time in a row, which is really concerning. It was pretty clear after Alabama that an offense that relies on Jake making plays was never going to get us to the next level, yet we kept trying to do just that even after hiring a new OC. On top of that, our offense besides Gaskin never took on the toughness our defense has showed since Petersen has got here. Dropped passes, inconsistent O line play, terrible throws and decisions, awful play calling. Luckily, I am optimistic that the recent uptick in recruiting is going to help out a lot of these problems over the next couple of years. What worries me is that Pete keeps making bad decisions on the person ell on that side of the ball, specifically the coordinator position. We need a fucking identity, which should be a simple run the football and use the play action off of that. Yet we get these weird fake misdirection bootleg quadruple option blah blah blah.

Petersen is still the guy, no doubt in my mind. To say the program isn't on a much higher level than it was 5 years ago is a lie. Being in this NY6 gatekeeper purgatory for 3 years is not ok though, something needs to change because something is obviously not working. Besides coaches who would never come to UW like Saban and Dabo, there isn't another coach who I would want right now.

Next year will tell us a lot. We have a QB with elite talent, a group of recruits who on paper have more talent overall than what we have had in the past, a favorable schedule. Absolutely no reason why we shouldn't win the P12 again and have another crack at a NY6 game with a offense that won't come out scared not scoring for 3 fucking quarters.

TLDR: This year was good and bad (more of this), Pete is still the guy but needs to stop hanging out in this NY6 gatekeeper purgatory he is in, and next year we should really be able to tell what the future will be like.

Oregon will win the pac12 next year. And it makes me ill.
  • ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794

nah,

They'll lose against auburn also, not that that matters in the pac 12 race

nah,

Record wise they had the same number of loses as UW this year. Almost everyone back. Plus they have stacked recruiting classes. Tough road games for sure, but the pac 12 champ won’t be undefeated. They could drop two and still be OK.
    ZoneUW said:

nah,

They'll lose against auburn also, not that that matters in the pac 12 race
    Auburn sucks. Oregon won’t go down there and shit their pants like Browning and Co.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,196
    Oregon can't even beat WSU anymore. And Herbert is a pussy, an overrated one at that.

Oregon can't even beat WSU anymore. And Herbert is a pussy, an overrated one at that.

But they can beat UW..
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

Hi pumpy!

nah,

Record wise they had the same number of loses as UW this year. Almost everyone back. Plus they have stacked recruiting classes. Tough road games for sure, but the pac 12 champ won’t be undefeated. They could drop two and still be OK.
    They had the same number of losses because they didn't play Auburn and Ohio State.

They played UW.

They would have lost to OSU, but not necessarily Auburn.
    dhdawg said:

Hi pumpy!
    There is a good chance they will be favored pre season. Get all the screenshots you need now.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,631 Founders Club
    Being favored and winning it are two different things

They are already favored and top 5 nationally according to some

They won't win in Seattle.

2 out of 3 becomes 3 out o 4

If they were going to be good next year they would have closed the deal this year.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,196

But they can beat UW..
    So can Cal. The point is that if you can't beat WSU for 4+ years running you're not good enough to win the conference.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,856
    Watching you guys on offense was super similar to watching us. The difference is that Manny has a bit more arm strength, we had nkeal, and we actually rode benjamin.

(Of course our D wasn't nearly as good)

But when other teams could sit on short routes and play the run while not respecting anything over 15 yards we became totally ineffective.

Next year we should both have QBs that can make the d pay a couple times when they sit on the short stuff and won't limit the O. So it will be interesting.