Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We lost to a Cal team that just lost to 6-6 TCU in a bowl game

PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam
    How the fuck is Cal's offense that bad the Baldwin as the OC? No one better ever hire an EWU coach again
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Shitty QB play can torpedo anybody
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    edited December 2018

How the fuck is Cal's offense that bad the Baldwin as the OC? No one better ever hire an EWU coach again

I tend to think that he didn't forget how to coach when he hit Berkeley. Baldwin has had only one recruiting cycle to get his guys in there (Wilcox and Co. were hired in January, a few weeks before LOI day two years ago, so the recroots that year were Dykes guys). There have been a lot of WR injuries (and Stovall and Robertson left in the offseason) that have stunted the passing game. I've been told that Baldwin's scheme is complicated, and that none of the Cal QBs have grasped it yet (late Tedford had this problem too - Mansion once said it took 2 1/2 years to really understand what they were trying to do). Tui (QBs) and Edwards(WRs) may be position coaches on the way out since they haven't been able to teach QBs not to throw INTs or teach WRs to create some separation.

That said,* some of his playcalling is baffling - using only Laird at RB when others show promise, not utilizing McMorris at all other than in obvious short-yardage situations, and going away from what works. There are plays that work early in the game that Cal never uses again; it's almost as if he doesn't keep doing something until the defense shows it can stop it, he'd rather just keep switching things up for the sake of switching things up. Former players on BI say that the offense has no identity.

So there are personnel issues, probably some questionable position coaches, and his own idiosyncrasies at play. I think he's safe for the moment, but if next year looks like this year, he'll be out of a job come December. I hear that Tui is a Wilcox guy, but with every promising QB turning into a turnover machine, he's probably the position coach most likely to be shown the door this offseason. I've never been impressed with him as a coach anyway

* Jake Browning still sucks
  • BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    Another fucking embarrassing conference bowl record coming up.
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,030
    2 1/2 years to learn an offense?

That’s retarded
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,384 Founders Club

I'm thinking Stanford and WSU might be the only ones to get a win
  • GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    These are dark times indeed my friends.
  • longduckdonglongduckdong Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,023 Swaye's Wigwam
    tOSU lost to Purdue

Purdue lost in a thriller to Eastern Michigan (bonus points if can name mascot)

Georgia Southern beat Eastern Michigan in a barn burner Camellia Bowl.

Rose Bowl should have been Cal vs Georgia Southern.
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam

Hurtful
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,384 Founders Club
    89ute said:

Hurtful
    actually, I think Utah has a better chance of winning their game than does Stanford
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,948 Founders Club
    The 1991 (90 season) Rose Bowl champs lost to a 5-6 UCLA team that lost Cal.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam

Ute always wins

If WASHINGTON wins who gives a fuck about the rest

True but Warshington will not
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited December 2018
    BearsWiin said:

I tend to think that he didn't forget how to coach when he hit Berkeley. Baldwin has had only one recruiting cycle to get his guys in there (Wilcox and Co. were hired in January, a few weeks before LOI day two years ago, so the recroots that year were Dykes guys). There have been a lot of WR injuries (and Stovall and Robertson left in the offseason) that have stunted the passing game. I've been told that Baldwin's scheme is complicated, and that none of the Cal QBs have grasped it yet (late Tedford had this problem too - Mansion once said it took 2 1/2 years to really understand what they were trying to do). Tui (QBs) and Edwards(WRs) may be position coaches on the way out since they haven't been able to teach QBs not to throw INTs or teach WRs to create some separation.

That said,* some of his playcalling is baffling - using only Laird at RB when others show promise, not utilizing McMorris at all other than in obvious short-yardage situations, and going away from what works. There are plays that work early in the game that Cal never uses again; it's almost as if he doesn't keep doing something until the defense shows it can stop it, he'd rather just keep switching things up for the sake of switching things up. Former players on BI say that the offense has no identity.

So there are personnel issues, probably some questionable position coaches, and his own idiosyncrasies at play. I think he's safe for the moment, but if next year looks like this year, he'll be out of a job come December. I hear that Tui is a Wilcox guy, but with every promising QB turning into a turnover machine, he's probably the position coach most likely to be shown the door this offseason. I've never been impressed with him as a coach anyway

Flagged for using the “he needs time to get his guys in there” cliche
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    But Pup told us Garbers was good.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    BearsWiin said:

Too long. Didn’t read.
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,030

The 1991 (90 season) Rose Bowl champs lost to a 5-6 UCLA team that lost Cal.

That was a GOOD cal team that was ranked too high