Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW had good to great point guard play for the better part of 15 years

HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
edited December 2018 in Payton's Place
Conway
Nate
Roy
Appleby
Dentmon
Venoy
IT
Gaddy
Andrews
Fultz

We win tonight's game with the Senior versions of any of them (or the final year they played here) in place of Senior Crisp.

I hate to bash a Seattle kid but ho. lee. fuck. this team needs a point guard.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2019

Dickau was a Bender guy, but still.

Sark > Ty, too.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Would you still take Appleby over him?
  • Options

An excellent question. Apples is the best comp for him, they're incredibly similar players. Crisp is more turnover prone, but also capable of hitting clutch threes which Appleby never did. He drove me crazy how he could never hit one when it counted.

OTOH, Apples was nails from the line where Crisp is a major disappointment.

Ultimately I'd probably take Crisp because he's not painful to look at like Appleby was. But in terms of impacting the game I think they're roughly the same.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crisp is better than Gaddy and Appleby. Maybe Venoy too.
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

An excellent question. Apples is the best comp for him, they're incredibly similar players. Crisp is more turnover prone, but also capable of hitting clutch threes which Appleby never did. He drove me crazy how he could never hit one when it counted.

Ultimately I'd probably take Crisp because he's not painful to look at like Appleby was. But in terms of impacting the game I think they're roughly the same.
    Appleby wasn’t a PG.
  • Options

Crisp is better than Gaddy and Appleby. Maybe Venoy too.

He might be better than Gaddy but IMO Gaddy would be a much better fit for this team. This team has no ball handlers and really no distributors. Gaddy was significantly better at both than Crisp.

I think Venoy was better but Crisp might be a better fit because Venoy's greatest asset was defensive and there might be a point of diminishing returns if you added Venoy's defense to this roster.

Appleby is basically the same exact player.
  • Options

Appleby wasn’t a PG.
    Neither is Crisp.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You're telling me this was a painful image for the basketball team?

those unis were so much better than the dreck we wear now.

i cannot tell you how hard it is for me to watch basketball with that heinous W on the side of the shorts.
  • Options
    dawgs206 said:

Appleby in a heartbeat. Every team needs a guy that can just spread the floor and knock down 3’s and that’s their sole purpose. Career 41% 3 pt shooter compared to 33.3% for Crisp. Averaged 3 made 3’s per game his senior year compared to 1.5 for Crisp. Lower turnover percentage, better from the line, though neither shoot many free throws. Don’t remember saying WTF out loud as many times per game watching Appleby. Neither are known for defense and the zone minimizes the negative impact there a bit.

Appleby is essentially a much more efficient (offensively) Dominic Green.

I definitely do. Or at least an awful lot.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dentmon was not a good player for three out of his four years, Gaddy was either hurt or disappointing in his four years here and Andrews was not good three of his four years here. I like the idea of 15 years of good PG play but those three were only good for 2.5 of their 12 years of UW basketball. Thats a lot of shitty PG play to watch waiting for a light to come on or for the referees to give them "senior calls" like Andrews lived off his senior year. That cat scored as much from the line as he did from the floor.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

dawgs206 said:

Appleby in a heartbeat. Every team needs a guy that can just spread the floor and knock down 3’s and that’s their sole purpose. Career 41% 3 pt shooter compared to 33.3% for Crisp. Averaged 3 made 3’s per game his senior year compared to 1.5 for Crisp. Lower turnover percentage, better from the line, though neither shoot many free throws. Don’t remember saying WTF out loud as many times per game watching Appleby. Neither are known for defense and the zone minimizes the negative impact there a bit.

Next thing I know you're gonna start bashing Joe Jarzynka.
  • Options

Dentmon was not a good player for three out of his four years, Gaddy was either hurt or disappointing in his four years here and Andrews was not good three of his four years here. I like the idea of 15 years of good PG play but those three were only good for 2.5 of their 12 years of UW basketball. Thats a lot of shitty PG play to watch waiting for a light to come on or for the referees to give them "senior calls" like Andrews lived off his senior year. That cat scored as much from the line as he did from the floor.

Most of this is true though I’d argue Dentmon was good as a frosh as well as a senior. Gaddy being disappointing is obviously very true but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t a better at running point than Crisp was - he had huge expectations he never lived up to but he could handle the ball and distribute it far better than Crisp even if he couldn’t score anything like what Crisp does.

And while the truth that those guys weren't necessarily good until their seniors years is true, most of them played alongside another one of them earlier in their careers who was good.

(Bad PG play years in bold)

04: Will and Nate
    05: Will and Nate
    06: Roy and Good Dentmon
    07: Disastrous PG play by Dentmon and Appleby kept us from being a tourney team with Hawes and Brockman.
    08: Bad Dentmon/Appleby/Overton (mediocre year here, not the disaster of 07 by any means)

09: Good Dentmon/IT/Overton
    10: IT/Overton
    11: IT/Overton
    12: Bad Gaddy/Wroten (Wroten had more turnovers than assists)
    13: Good Gaddy
    14: Bad Andrews
    15: Bad Andrews
    16: Good Andrews
    17: Fultz
    18: Crisp
    19: Crisp

So basically before Crisp took over point there had been four or five seasons of bad PG play of our last 14.

So I overstated it a bit but that's 9 years of good PG at worst and I would say eight of those years (04, 05, 06, 09, 10, 11, 16 and 17) were excellent.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gaddy was never good. His stats weren’t terrible, but he sucked. He was slow, couldn’t penetrate, and couldn’t shoot.
  • Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited February 2019

dawgs206 said:

Only could watch the first half, but I counted about 4 WTF in the first 10 minutes for Crisp haha. He'll end up with around ~1.7X more total turnovers than Appleby had his junior and senior years. Appleby only shot 45 2PA his senior year. He knew his role and you could rely on him to play it well. No driving to the hoop 1 on 3 in transition nonsense.