Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The UO Administration. . .

trackertracker Member Posts: 866
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
edited November 2013 in College Football Forum
A question for Duck fans. . .I'm just curious. . .

If Helfrich returned Oregon to a middle of the PAC team do you
think the UO Adm would welcome the opportunity to distance themselves
from Phil Knight and the "Nike" connection, or would they act swiftly to
keep their winning ways going strong?

I don't know anything about the UO Adm and AD relationship.
Is the UO Adm comfortable with the attention the football team generates?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Since they are PNW I'm guessing their upper campus doesn't like how "thuggish" they've become and how Knight has become bigger than the school.

Oregon fans at heart are very close to the Doog level of thinking. I think the PNW culture would probably have them distance themselves.

Anyways Knight is in his late 70's if not 80's so he doesn't have much left in the tank anyways.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Like most schools, there is some resentment from the UO Adm. to the AD. However, moreso than most schools, the AD is completely separate from the UO Adm. The UO AD will do whatever the fuck it wants and the UO Adm has no say (which is, in fact, where a lot of the resentment comes from). 2 completely separate entities. I don't see how the UO Adm could do anything at all to "distance themselves" from the Phil/Nike connection. If Phil wants MH gone--he tells the AD. And MH is gone. the UO Adm has no say.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Phil knight=best owner in sports
  • Options
    death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991
    5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2013
    Like my dead neighbor across the street, I take solace in the likelihood that I will out-live Uncle Phil, who turns 76 in February. I also love the Rule Against Perpetuities.

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    There's been a big push, led by Knight against the Oregon University System (the governing board for all Oregon state-run universities and colleges) and for the creation of a separate University of Oregon board of regents. This push actually got the last president of the University fired by the OUS, over the objection of just about everyone on the UO campus itself.

Strangely enough, we lost the president but got the board of regents, which is getting established this year.

Allegedly, Knight's estate is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 11BN, of which substantial portions are (again, allegedly) earmarked for both the University and the athletic department endowments.

What I'm hearing is that Knight wants to be heavily involved with the new board, and will probably structure his giving to the UO so as to be involved. Oregon's alumni (not just Knight) are also pretty invested in making the AD a success - they see the AD as a window by which the UO can become more of a nationally-recognized institution rather than a small, regional state university.

The only "resentment" of the AD comes from the usual Marxist faculty members in the social sciences. Think Sociology, Geography and Women's Studies. I think their criticisms have merit as long as they are focused on making the University as a whole better, but most see them as envious of an AD that has recieved lavish funding during an era of educational cutbacks at the University as a whole and they are just envious.

UO has a similar problem as UW and many other public universities in that a smaller and smaller proportion of the University's funding is coming from the state government. Recent years state funding has been around 5%, which is less than half of what our better-politically-connected country cousins in Corvallis have been getting. The anomaly has been bridged largely with California undergraduate out-of-state tuition - "UC Eugene" money, which is part of the reason why the athletic focus helps keep Oregon in the public eye in the Golden State.

Someone linked an internal study recently commissioned by UO that showed how crappy we look compared to what are really our "aspirational peers," schools like UCLA, UW, Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina. Of that group, Oregon is close to Kansas, and well behind the rest. That is part of the Knight-led push to make Oregon a better school. The first task of the new board of regents is to start moving the University in that direction, and athletics are part of the program.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

There's been a big push, led by Knight against the Oregon University System (the governing board for all Oregon state-run universities and colleges) and for the creation of a separate University of Oregon board of regents. This push actually got the last president of the University fired by the OUS, over the objection of just about everyone on the UO campus itself.

Strangely enough, we lost the president but got the board of regents, which is getting established this year.

Allegedly, Knight's estate is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 11BN, of which substantial portions are (again, allegedly) earmarked for both the University and the athletic department endowments.

What I'm hearing is that Knight wants to be heavily involved with the new board, and will probably structure his giving to the UO so as to be involved. Oregon's alumni (not just Knight) are also pretty invested in making the AD a success - they see the AD as a window by which the UO can become more of a nationally-recognized institution rather than a small, regional state university.

The only "resentment" of the AD comes from the usual Marxist faculty members in the social sciences. Think Sociology, Geography and Women's Studies. I think their criticisms have merit as long as they are focused on making the University as a whole better, but most see them as envious of an AD that has recieved lavish funding during an era of educational cutbacks at the University as a whole and they are just envious.

UO has a similar problem as UW and many other public universities in that a smaller and smaller proportion of the University's funding is coming from the state government. Recent years state funding has been around 5%, which is less than half of what our better-politically-connected country cousins in Corvallis have been getting. The anomaly has been bridged largely with California undergraduate out-of-state tuition - "UC Eugene" money, which is part of the reason why the athletic focus helps keep Oregon in the public eye in the Golden State.

Someone linked an internal study recently commissioned by UO that showed how crappy we look compared to what are really our "aspirational peers," schools like UCLA, UW, Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina. Of that group, Oregon is close to Kansas, and well behind the rest. That is part of the Knight-led push to make Oregon a better school. The first task of the new board of regents is to start moving the University in that direction, and athletics are part of the program.

Is that what you're hearing?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

AZDuck said:

Is that what you're hearing?
    he's actually spot on. I remember arguing a little with Oregondawg about this before I bailed out (realizing he is Krisvashon's retarded brother). my parting shot was, "for a guy who lives in Oregon, you sure don't known a lot about Oregon." and I stand by that. he had Knight's role all fucking wrong (and just about everything else he has to say about UO).

Knight was pissed when they fired the last Prez (I can't spell his complicated name and I'll be damned if I'm looking it up), and I believe THAT was the last straw with the state. Remember, it's not just the UofO, the guy is Nike, and Nike employs people in Oregon. Though I have no reports to base this on, you have to know that Knight and others (like the Columbia sportswear family) got this done politically. They are part of a publicly disclosed PAC that is focused on higher ed in Oregon. Just a few short years ago, the Oregon Higher Ed Board fired the Prez for saying he wanted independence. Knight (and everyone else with a brain) gets pissed. Then UofO gets independence in July 2014. Connect the fucking dots.

One of the Pac's missions is to get UofO's endowment up to $2B. When you get your endowment up to $2B, you are making serious changes at your school. Washington's academic rep. started soaring when we were able to start raising that kind of dough. The last Campaign Washington was ridiculously successful.

There is a shit load of building going on at UofO right now, and they just got through raising a shit load of $$ themselves.

Bottom line, there is energy behind that place, on both the university and AD sides of the ledger. Knight has always donated big to the school - people in Seattle are only aware of the athletic side, but he has spent a lot of $$ on academic donations there, and my guess is he is poised to spend a lot more as he sees the end of his life drawing near.

So he wants a say in it? So what. Everyone with $$ wants a say. Gates' mom was on the board of regents forever, and everything he paid for at UW bears a Gates name, including the new law school that got built after I left (thanks). That's the deal when you want someone else's $$. They tell you how to spend it and they tell you lots of other things too. $$ with no strings is rare.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    tracker said:

A question for Duck fans. . .I'm just curious. . .

If Helfrich returned Oregon to a middle of the PAC team do you
    think the UO Adm would welcome the opportunity to distance themselves
    from Phil Knight and the "Nike" connection, or would they act swiftly to
    keep their winning ways going strong?

I don't know anything about the UO Adm and AD relationship.
    Is the UO Adm comfortable with the attention the football team generates?

Thoughts?

Wow, I am shocked a message board full of dickheads. Talk that shit to my face and see how funny it is assholes.

BTW - 3.9 GPA already scored enough on the ACT as a 9th grader to be eligible. o all you dickheads, yes you know who you are, STFU.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam