Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Our WRs

PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,265 Swaye's Wigwam
I’ve mentioned it before but I think the WRs are really hurting our pass game and run game. As much as we want to blame Browning and the play calling, and as much as it is their fault, it is the WRs and this complicated offense. Right now we have two RS freshman listed as second string who aren’t bad players they just aren’t ready and let’s look at the rest. We have:

Aaron Fuller, who I think is a great player and I am loving his progression and maturity. He should not be our #1 receiver though, he should be playing slot and should be running other routes where he gets checked down to. He’s also small, needs work in the blocking game. The opposing teams should not be putting their best CB on him. He’s a great trash collector and is great at getting into space and at tearing zone defenses up. He should be starting but should not be in the role he is in, unfortunately there are no other options.

Ty Jones, love the kid to death but he’s still having trouble getting separation and still having to push off to get it (which is fine; but needs more routes where he gets himself open) He runs a lot of go routes and plays downfield which is fine but we are relying on him to be our “big play” and throwing wasteful bombs to him. If our QB had an arm it could be another story but we don’t utilize his size and verticality. He’s still learning too.

After that we have Baccelia, don’t get me wrong I think he’s a good player, but he should backing up Chico (bye...) who should be backing up Fuller. Outside of them and our Freshman who else do we have? We lost Pounds who we said “eh whatever” about but now our next man up becomes an “oh shit” issue because we don’t have anyone!

What we need to do is start playing power football, 2-3 TE sets constantly with Otton, Kizer, and Sample... who we also need to be passing the ball to! We need to be throwing balls 5-8 yards to our TEs as our passing plays to keep opening up the run game. Need to utilize Jones in a short field and throw it high. Start taking down the clock, slow the game down to a boring place and make our eyes bleed until we beat teams like Stanford 13-10 and do it on the backs of our RBs. We can’t change the offense now but we can simplify it. Go out and rely on the defense and simply get nasty (need a leader to step up) on offense and try to get 3-4 yards a play. You might all be laughing but we are capable of shoving the line of scrimmage forward even against teams like Stanford. Browning should be throwing 15-20 times a game max. And we should be running the damn football downfield, over and over. Stop the bullshit 5 yards backwards plays like to Ahmed, the kid is fast but we should not be running many plays that start with us 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. We just aren’t capable of digging ourselves out of a hole. If we can get Bryant back then I say hell line him up as a WR and let the beast block.

This offense is scary, and not in a good way. Time to go to our strengths, RBs and TEs. Let all the bullshit play calling be put to rest until we have elite athletes out there to pull this janky offensive shit off.

Comments

• Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,169
    We wouldn't have to dig ourselves out of a hole if browning didn't throw passes behind our wrs which requires a circus catch on basic routes.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726

Enough with the mis read option and fly speck sweep and other slow developing side to side bullshit

Line it up and run it straight down after down. Suck the safeties in and then throw it over them

But no, you don't get some dick head in the booth calling you a genius for "your" offense

Football is a simple game. It really is.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840

Enough with the mis read option and fly speck sweep and other slow developing side to side bullshit

Line it up and run it straight down after down. Suck the safeties in and then throw it over them

But no, you don't get some dick head in the booth calling you a genius for "your" offense

The single best base play in the UW offense all season has been the outside zone/stretch play to Salvon from pistol or under center. Generally has worked best when run in two TE formations. I think we ran it maybe once against Cal.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,576 Founders Club
    The stretch play develops faster than the mis read option. Browning handed off twice to a running back as the back was being smashed
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Fuller is good, but had a shitty game. Jones is good, but kind of weak and soft. After that, they are all JAG’s.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    This is the offense that thought running options with Browning in the red zone vs Auburn was a good idea.

We are fucked