Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

One thing that really bothered me

2»

Comments

• whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    Go look at offenses? Yeah, a 100 times that. Would love it. Would Petersen the control freak do that? I have my doubts.
    He doesn't seem like the type to throw the bathwater out considering he's had success doing it his way. I think he's at his Dabo moment. Took Dabo 7 years I think so I'd give Pete two more. If he's not relevant in the national conversation 2 years from now then time to look around.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

It’s become incredibly apparent that Bush, and by extension Pete, are very poor at making halftime adjustments. It was plain to everyone watching that Cal came in with the game plan to contain the edge, and we did absolutely nothing to exploit the middle of the field. To some extent you have to be patient with a first time OC as he gets his bearings. But this shit is becoming a trend (see the awful second half vs UCLA) and now it just looks like Bush isn’t very smart to begin with. Not everyone has the aptitude to be a coordinator - shit requires creativity and quick analysis. I don’t think Bush has what it takes to succeed as a coordinator.

This all comes down to the relationship between Pete and his OC. Does he want ultimate control or does the OC have the sway to call the game as he sees it? On the surface it looks like Hamdan doesn't read the game very well but we don't know what constraints he is working under. Smith and Hamdan are looking eerily similar but Pete is the common denominator. It's no coincidence that the offense looked best under Tedford and you know he didn't take that consultant job knowing that Pete would handcuff him. It always comes back to the same thing. Pete has to realize his strength is as a CEO and get the fuck out of the offense. Tell Bush he is now the QB coach , throw serious money at an OC and get out of his way.
    Don't agree. Smiff would have thrown it 40 times...Hamdan kept it 50-50. I couldn't stand Smiff, and I don't think he would have lost that game.

Hamden didn't read the game at all to see what was working and what wasn't. He's a very young, first year OC who's only been with Pete and Sark his entire adult football career. I'm assuming he'll stay 'cause I don't think Peterman will fire him, but if he does he better spend Spring touring 4 or 5 places across the country to get a feel for how other coaches handle their offense.
    That doesn't address the key issue though. How much leeway did Smith and now Hamdan have over this offense? Are they just playcallers or do they have input into the offensive structure? You can argue that they are just playcallers and not very good at it. My point is that Pete's offense sucks and even the best playcaller would struggle with it. I'm gonna stand by my belief that this program will advance as a serious program only when Pete hands over the reigns to the offense to a quality OC.
    I'm saying a bunch. That shitshow on O we saw yesterday was a completely different shitshow than what we saw under Smiff. Smiff was a better OC, but I think he was at his ceiling and at best average. Hamdan right now is worse, and we can only hope there is a big step-change up from year 1 to year 2 because it ain't happening throughout this season. Pete isn't micromanaging the playcalling...he doesn't have a playsheet on him. Don't know if he clearly sees what a shitshow of an offensive he has (coaching/scheme/etc), but to see him actually bench his 4 year starter makes me think it might, maybe, hopefully be sinking in.

Best thing they could/should do is send Hamdan out to go look at other offenses all spring and then go find a good retired OC and bring him in as a consultant to help him read games.

And remove Gregory from ever working with special teams again...
    Smith was a hall of fame OC compared to the terrorist we have now.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    So here's the counters that I'd have for you Derek ...

1) The most explosive offensive player that UW has without Gaskin is Ahmed ... who quite frankly isn't a great RB at this point as he's a little slow getting to the hole and when he does make his mind up doesn't consistently do a good job of putting his foot in the ground and getting up the field.

2) The interior of the OL has been largely inconsistent all season as Harris struggles against size against him, Watty has really struggled for the balance of the year, and RG has been a revolving door

3) For whatever reason, TEs over the middle have not been a huge part of the game plan

4) Jake isn't good at throwing balls on time and into tight spaces ... which is part of the reason TEs don't get used over the middle

5) The WRs aren't terrible but aren't great ... as Cal showed yesterday they could largely match up 1 on 1 and hold their own. The supposed #1 receiver for UW had 1 catch for 23 yards yesterday. That's putrid and pathetic.

So yes, if I'm calling a game against UW, then I'm going to game plan to take away Ahmed's explosiveness from the offense particularly if I have confidence that I can leave my DBs on an island against the UW WRs ... which they did.

It was as much about Jimmy's and Joe's yesterday as it was about play calling.