Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Replacing Gregory...

For your consideration, Mark Stewart. No experience coaching at the college level, but is a native Californian who has made the PNW his permanent home after his playing days, checks off some Pete OKG bs in that he was academic all pac 10, and a team captain, played in the league, has coached HS ball in WA since 2000.

Pros: California transplant, black, storied player at UW, NFL experience, OKG friendly, rooted in NW high school football

Cons: lacks college level recruiting and coaching experience, maybe lacks drive/ambition to coach at next level or would have risen coaching ranks sooner. At the end of the day this will never happen, but always worth looking at Husky legends that have gone into coaching.

Up next, don’t laugh... Cort Dennison. Has been coaching since 2012, grad assistant 2013 and coaching at the college level since. In 2017 named to 247 30 under 30 and ranked 7th on InsideACC top 10 recruiters. Fits Pete’s style of hires, would be a shot at a rival (even if petty.)

Pros: From Utah but coaching exp takes him as far as Louisville and Kentucky, shows ambition to rise the coaching ladder, proven recruiter, young, husky alumni

Cons: pale, lacks years of experience, if he spurns us? to stay with ducks would be a bad look

Now for some other looks.

Scottie Hazelton, defensive coordinator Wyoming. Has coached in college since 1996 with a short stint in the NFL. The Lane Train saw him as a good fit back in 2012 for the Trojans, so he’s not afraid of jumping into the fire so to speak. Has had success with his guys at the G5 level.

Pros: Lots of experience including NFL level
Cons: Is back with his old buddy Craig Bohl so may not be interested in leaving that for a downgrade on the coaching hierarchy, no recruiting chops to speak of, pale.

Would be a Petersen “family environment” hire that would maybe work coaching wise, but likely wouldn’t see any real improvement.

Up next, Johnny Nansen. I’m getting a little lazy now, but from Cali, played at WSU, coached at Idaho, UW, and of course now at SC. Has some serious recruiting chops, and they just throw him at whatever positional group has an opening and let him do his recruiting magic basically.

Pros: Cali/NW familiarity, poly pipeline, big time recruiter

Cons: Probably not OKG enough for Pete, wouldn’t leave SC dumpster fire willingly/may be hoping it turns into his promotion? Too much poly? Is that a thing?

Not happening.

I’m sure there are a lot of you that are more knowledgeable than me about position coaches, coaching trees etc that could come up with a dozen more names, but ultimately this was just a brief look at what is ultimately going to be a very easy decision for Petersen, and that is to retain Gregory.

He likes consistency on the staff, he likes that he’s drank the koolaid and has no desire to seek out better opportunities, and that he won’t have to waste time going through the vetting process. He doesn’t want to risk letting a fox into the hen house, just like how he won’t recruit fast strat kids, so this is what we are stuck with. If you’ve read this far, sorry for the AIDS.

Comments

• HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,314 Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the idea of hiring someone with absolutely no coaching or recruiting experience.

Let's go that route.
  • ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664

For your consideration, Mark Stewart. No experience coaching at the college level, but is a native Californian who has made the PNW his permanent home after his playing days, checks off some Pete OKG bs in that he was academic all pac 10, and a team captain, played in the league, has coached HS ball in WA since 2000.

Pros: California transplant, black, storied player at UW, NFL experience, OKG friendly, rooted in NW high school football

Cons: lacks college level recruiting and coaching experience, maybe lacks drive/ambition to coach at next level or would have risen coaching ranks sooner. At the end of the day this will never happen, but always worth looking at Husky legends that have gone into coaching.

Up next, don’t laugh... Cort Dennison. Has been coaching since 2012, grad assistant 2013 and coaching at the college level since. In 2017 named to 247 30 under 30 and ranked 7th on InsideACC top 10 recruiters. Fits Pete’s style of hires, would be a shot at a rival (even if petty.)

Pros: From Utah but coaching exp takes him as far as Louisville and Kentucky, shows ambition to rise the coaching ladder, proven recruiter, young, husky alumni

Cons: pale, lacks years of experience, if he spurns us? to stay with ducks would be a bad look

Now for some other looks.

Scottie Hazelton, defensive coordinator Wyoming. Has coached in college since 1996 with a short stint in the NFL. The Lane Train saw him as a good fit back in 2012 for the Trojans, so he’s not afraid of jumping into the fire so to speak. Has had success with his guys at the G5 level.

Pros: Lots of experience including NFL level
    Cons: Is back with his old buddy Craig Bohl so may not be interested in leaving that for a downgrade on the coaching hierarchy, no recruiting chops to speak of, pale.

Would be a Petersen “family environment” hire that would maybe work coaching wise, but likely wouldn’t see any real improvement.

Up next, Johnny Nansen. I’m getting a little lazy now, but from Cali, played at WSU, coached at Idaho, UW, and of course now at SC. Has some serious recruiting chops, and they just throw him at whatever positional group has an opening and let him do his recruiting magic basically.

Pros: Cali/NW familiarity, poly pipeline, big time recruiter

Cons: Probably not OKG enough for Pete, wouldn’t leave SC dumpster fire willingly/may be hoping it turns into his promotion? Too much poly? Is that a thing?

Not happening.

I’m sure there are a lot of you that are more knowledgeable than me about position coaches, coaching trees etc that could come up with a dozen more names, but ultimately this was just a brief look at what is ultimately going to be a very easy decision for Petersen, and that is to retain Gregory.

He likes consistency on the staff, he likes that he’s drank the koolaid and has no desire to seek out better opportunities, and that he won’t have to waste time going through the vetting process. He doesn’t want to risk letting a fox into the hen house, just like how he won’t recruit fast strat kids, so this is what we are stuck with. If you’ve read this far, sorry for the AIDS.

Nice understanding of geography
    They don’t call me a ding dong for nothing
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,457 Standard Supporter
    Bob Gregory ain't never getting fired by Peterman.

Mark it down. In ink. And have it notarized.

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Bob Gregory ain't never getting fired by Peterman

Mark it down. In ink. And have it notarized.

No Natty for us
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Man, and I I thought I post a lot of dumb shit
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Gerald Alexander or GTFO.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    Cort Dennison.Cons: pale

This is a joke, right?