Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pete Presser

13»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Must have been on the play where he runs a deep post and falls down without contact. That's 3 ACL's Pounds has torn. Time to hang it up.
    You're not in his shoes.
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I also learned after that kick, that our kicking game isn’t very good. From here out, consider the chart updated.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    EwaDawg said:

Here's my issue with Peterman. He needs people that HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE about football to tell him he fucked up. As fucking soon as I saw he was settling for the field goal I FUCKING SCREAMED that it is 50-50 AT BEST for that kicker from that distance.

As I watched that clock tick down from 35 seconds to 3, after fucking MARCHING almost 70 yards, and with the dux on their heels, I fucking gasped in disbelief at how DUMB Peterson was being in that moment. Oregon had to defend End Zone shots, so moving the ball as they had been, the percentages were extremely high that UW would move the ball 5 to 15 yards closer, or more, to make the FG attempt a classic "Chip Shot." Pete's post-hoc rationale is bullshit. He choked. Once again. Like a Cougar. His hailed "honesty" about what he'd do different is PR, because he knows nobody has forgotten the AZ "chart" fiasco and never will.

The question he needed to be asked was this: "Why do you keep losing your balls when the game is on the line in a close game?" So, No, I don't think much of Pete's answers in light of that fact.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Actually, your idea that Oregon has to defend the end zone is absolutely wrong there. If we keep running plays there we probably call timeout before 3rd down as the clock was running and I think we had multiple timeouts available.

Oregon’s going to do 2 things on defense there ... sell out against the run to force 4th down, call timeout, and at least have a chance to do something with the ball. The other is to play heavy press coverage sitting on shorter routes trying to get an extra handful of yards.

Which means that if we decide to throw the ball it is Browning against a blitz throwing a 1 on 1 jump ball ... not his strength.

I firmly believe that had we picked up the 1st on 2nd down we’d have kept running plays.

I don’t think that this was just a spur of a moment decision where Pete froze and got conservative. With how planned out he is I’m sure this is a situation where they’ve worked through guidelines of what they want to do in varying circumstances.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Make the kick and nobody is saying anything. Run a play and either lose yards (with a missed kick) or a turnover and the ire to Pete increases.

In the end it’s a 37-38 yard kick that Henry has plenty of leg for ... he missed the kick.

There’s things I’d have probably done differently if I was Pete ... but it’s splitting hairs. At some point it just comes down to executing.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

HuskyJW said:

WiW, but still nice to hear him admit fault. I expected 2014 Arizona bullshit.

You mean like CJ Verdell against Stanford? ;)
    I'll take improving the chances of a made FG over the chances of a fumble.
    Cringe.
    You think Pete made the right call?
    I would have ran the ball one more time to see if Mario was going to start burning his timeouts to not let him ice my guy three times. If not I would have let it run down and kicked it.

That's dangerous territory though. The defense doesn't care about yards anymore at that point and they are just going for the ball.

If the kid makes the field goal then Peterman is a genius, just like Mario would have been the man for getting the first down to put Stanford away, but CJ fumbled and he looked like an asshole.
    LOL at thinking the icing was a good strategy.
    Well, it worked...
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

Actually, your idea that Oregon has to defend the end zone is absolutely wrong there. If we keep running plays there we probably call timeout before 3rd down as the clock was running and I think we had multiple timeouts available.

Oregon’s going to do 2 things on defense there ... sell out against the run to force 4th down, call timeout, and at least have a chance to do something with the ball. The other is to play heavy press coverage sitting on shorter routes trying to get an extra handful of yards.

Which means that if we decide to throw the ball it is Browning against a blitz throwing a 1 on 1 jump ball ... not his strength.

I firmly believe that had we picked up the 1st on 2nd down we’d have kept running plays.

I don’t think that this was just a spur of a moment decision where Pete froze and got conservative. With how planned out he is I’m sure this is a situation where they’ve worked through guidelines of what they want to do in varying circumstances.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Make the kick and nobody is saying anything. Run a play and either lose yards (with a missed kick) or a turnover and the ire to Pete increases.

In the end it’s a 37-38 yard kick that Henry has plenty of leg for ... he missed the kick.

There’s things I’d have probably done differently if I was Pete ... but it’s splitting hairs. At some point it just comes down to executing.

Not running plays out of fear of failure is FS. That’s what losers do.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Not running plays out of fear of failure is FS. That’s what losers do.
    Totally disagree ... and it isn’t out of a fear of failure

A coach’s job is to evaluate opportunity vs risk in these situations ... point still stands that if we don’t even get a kick off that he’s roasted far more (and deservedly so)
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

Having plenty of leg isn't the issue. He hasn't missed a kick yet because he didn't have the leg for it. He's missed plenty of kicks though.

Trusting a kicker who isn't trustworthy is FS. That's not splitting hairs.

I was screaming at the TV when we sat on the ball and told my wife we were missing the kick. It was obvious.

I beat for Pete but he fucked that one up, royally.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Having plenty of leg isn't the issue. He hasn't missed a kick yet because he didn't have the leg for it. He's missed plenty of kicks though.

I was screaming at the TV when we sat on the ball and told my life partner Roy we were missing the kick. It was obvious.

• Options

I was screaming at the TV when we sat on the ball and told my life partner Roy we were missing the kick. It was obvious.

Otis?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

There's the fear component, right there. Good QB's relish punishing the blitz. So do good coaches. If the dux sell out to stop the run, any completion results in big yards (and a much higher FG %) or a TD. Both were better options than running down the clock and trying a FG in that situation.

So essentially what you're saying, Teq, is that Pete trusts his kicker better than his QB in that situation. And how pathetic is that?
  • Options
    FTFMFYFE

In that situation, you do whatever you can to make it a shorter FG try.

That's it, and that's all. Fuck all other arguments, explanations or defenses.

Pete: You fucked the dog on that one.
  • Options

FTFMFYFE

You do whatever you can to not have to kick a field goal, period.

Play to score TD's.

Fuck FGs.
  • Options

FTFMFYFE

Play to score TD's.

Fuck FGs.
    You realize there's a game clock, right?

Of course you go for TDs first and FGs are a consolation prize. Well, for most teams anyway.
  • Options

FTFMFYFE

Play to score TD's.

Fuck FGs.
    You realize there's a game clock, right?

Of course you go for TDs first and FGs are a consolation prize. Well, for most teams anyway.
    When you have 50 seconds and two TO's left with the ball on the 22 yard line in a tie game you shouldn't be playing for a FG at that point.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

You're right about that but it was the wrong decision even if Henry made it.
  • Options
    And he went ahead and told that to Oregon before the FG try, right?