Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is the Pac 12 poised to rise from the dead? The answer may surprise you

Comments

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

That's a lot of ifs. I thought the conference would come back when Stanford had Harbaugh and Oregon had Chip, but they left and it all went to shit again. USC eventually comes back, but when? Now that we know UW isn't coming back, the future looks a lot worse. Cristobal won't stay at Oregon if he's good and Chip still has a lot of work to do at UCLA.

Oregon will pay whatever it takes to keep him if he's good.
    Can they become his alma mater? I didn't think so. He's a Cane if he's good.
    Not if Richt is good too. Richt needs to win just enough to keep his job.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

That's a lot of ifs. I thought the conference would come back when Stanford had Harbaugh and Oregon had Chip, but they left and it all went to shit again. USC eventually comes back, but when? Now that we know UW isn't coming back, the future looks a lot worse. Cristobal won't stay at Oregon if he's good and Chip still has a lot of work to do at UCLA.

Better consult your Ouija Boards*
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Rich is the only #16 Virginia can beat.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

LIPO with Chip. It was one game vs Cal.

Races PTSD with Chip is real.
    Chip will get it done
    I see we have another victim. If getting it done means a ceiling of 8-4 with a Foster Farms trophy, then sure.gif.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Mosster47 said:

Aaron Feld was asked by the Eugene media if athletes were just better in the south than out west and he said athletes are the same everywhere, but the south does a better job with their S&C programs getting players to a higher weight ceiling while keeping their athleticism.

Then he's an idiot (big news flash!).

The south has considerably more black people ergo considerably bigger pool of athletes to draw from.

Does S & C matter? Of course. It's a big fucking deal.

So is genetics.

Hilarious that a strength coach thinks the only differentiator is what he happens to do. Even funnier that you buy into it. Not surprising though.
    Then how does USC with a real coach go to Jordan-Hare and win 41-0 and never let Aubbie past mid-field?

The Pac-12 hasn't had a real coach that can recruit, cares about the weight room, and gets after it since Petey left.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    The pac will get better of course.

But man that Graham helfrich Sark Mora combo was ugly
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,536
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yes it it ludicrous to think a guy with a 43-7 record at Oregon could win big at UCLA

The victims are the ones in denial on this simple little fact

Just one more team WSU will never climb over
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602

Yes it it ludicrous to think a guy with a 43-7 record at Oregon could win big at UCLA

Hey loser

Victory has defeated you
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hey loser

Victory has defeated you
    Loser? Check the scoreboard bitch
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

LIPO with Chip. It was one game vs Cal.

Races PTSD with Chip is real.
    Chip will get it done
    I see we have another victim. If getting it done means a ceiling of 8-4 with a Foster Farms trophy, then sure.gif.
    I'm with the Coog. Chip dominating was years ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Chip will struggle with Oregon, Stanford and Washington every year that he plays these teams. The others he might run over rather easily once his system is in place, but physical teams are his kryptonite.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Chip will struggle with Oregon, Stanford and Washington every year that he plays these teams. The others he might run over rather easily once his system is in place, but physical teams are his kryptonite.

Utah?
  • Options

Utah?
    They aren't on the same level. They're good, but still a lower tier PAC team. Doesn't mean they can't be a problem for every team on that list though.
  • Options

WSU pretty much has owned UCLA over the last 20 years. But keep on cowering in the corner.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

WSU pretty much has owned UCLA over the last 20 years. But keep on cowering in the corner.
    How am I cowering by thinking a 47-11 coach will be successful at a talent rich school?

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,551
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I stand with Chip. Us nazi fags gotta stick together!
  • Options

salemcoog said:

How am I cowering by thinking a 47-11 coach will be successful at a talent rich school?

You’re believing Chip catches lightning in a bottle twice.

In fact I kind of equate Chips success with Trumps Presidential victory. Both Trump and Chip changed the gayme. No one had ever seen anything like them before.

They initially said that Chips Offense was a gimmick and would never beat the better teams. But then He laid waste to opponent after opponent after opponent.

And then. Before you knew it, they were in the Natty. Trump won his Natty but Chip came up a bit short.

But unlike Trump, almost every other team copied what Chip was doing in some way even before He got to the Natty game.

And now Chip and Trump couldn’t be any more different. Trump continues to keep teams off balance with new plays. Whereas Chip has been forced to play status quo because his plays have been figured out. A victim of his own success really.

OT: If I get another “draft has been saved window” interruption when typing a sentence, I’m gonna find Mr Vanilla.

Bottom line is that Chip isn’t the innovator that He once was. Couple that with the dyed in the wool soft of UCLA Football and 8-4 is the ramped up.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,981
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

In fact I kind of equate Chips success with Trumps Presidential victory. Both Trump and Chip changed the gayme. No one had ever seen anything like them before.

They initially said that Chips Offense was a gimmick and would never beat the better teams. But then He laid waste to opponent after opponent after opponent.

And then. Before you knew it, they were in the Natty. Trump won his Natty but Chip came up a bit short.

But unlike Trump, almost every other team copied what Chip was doing in some way even before He got to the Natty game.

And now Chip and Trump couldn’t be any more different. Trump continues to keep teams off balance with new plays. Whereas Chip has been forced to play status quo because his plays have been figured out. A victim of his own success really.

OT: If I get another “draft has been saved window” interruption when typing a sentence, I’m gonna find Mr Vanilla.

Bottom line is that Chip isn’t the innovator that He once was. Couple that with the dyed in the wool soft of UCLA Football and 8-4 is the ramped up.
    It was never about scheme. It was about culture
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

This is 100% false. Chip was great at Oregon because of scheme.

He never did beat the good ones though. He went .500 against Stanford and Rich Rod (who was Chip before Chip), and lost to Boise, tOSU, LSU, and Cam Newton.

He did beat Wisconsin and KState who are small timers.

Chip hit a perfect scenario at a perfect time against an awful conference. UW was awful, Wazzu was historically awful, USC had under 60 scholarship players (still beat him), and everyone else was their normal shit selves.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

It was about speed, speed, speed more than anything. Chip's scheme was brilliantly simple. He had like 4 plays, everyone knew what they were going to run and everyone knew they were going to run them as fast as they could. But nobody practiced at the tempo or had the ability to play that fast consistently enough to stop them, so the simplicity of the scheme enabled them to take advantage of tired/slow teams for huge gains.

The brilliance was in the way they practiced, which is culture, combined with a scheme that allowed them to maximize their cultural advantage.

The read option is not as exotic as it once was, but Kelly's Oregon teams would still kick ass with their speed and culture. The question is does Kelly give enough of a fuck now to instill that same culture at UCLA? I don't know the answer but if he does, he can win, and win big there even without the read option being as hard to scheme for there he can get better talent than he did at Oregon.

UCLA's total no show in recruiting this year suggests he might not give enough of a fuck to get it done though.

EWIWBI.