Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2019 will be special?

insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
edited October 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board
The TSIO guys have mentioned on their pod on more than one occasion that this year’s team will be the worse team we’ll field in the foreseeable future. The overall talent level is obviously on the rise but I tend to think we won’t have things really rolling until 2020. Next year’s offense with Skinny and most of the starters back (minus Myles and Kaleb) should be improved. However, on defense we are going to be breaking in new starters at every level. Gaines, Jaylen, BBK, Tevis, Miller, Murphy, JoJo, and Rapp are all likely gone after this year. Their replacements will be good eventually but that is a ton of experience we’re losing on one side of the ball. Convince me otherwise.

Comments

• PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited October 2018
    Sorry, can't "convince you otherwise."

Shitty recruiting on defense (except for DBs) is now catching up with us. Opposing QBs will have the cleanest uniforms in the building for the next year-and-a-half.

Does the Heart of Dallas Bowl still exist?
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    Miller and Murphy aren't as good as advertised. JoJo is really meh. BBK is good but not a big loss.

What we need is a change in scheme. Hopefully all these badass DTs we redshirted are physically ready next year. Gaines and Vea were their sophomore years.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    McGary won't be back but yes the offense should be better.

I'm starting to wonder if Murphy is guaranteed to go pro. Yes he has a kid. Yes I think he was planning to go pro this year. But he hasn't lit it up and his inability to come up with a single pick is glaring for a kid with his ball skills. If this continues I think he'll come back another year to improve his stock and prove what he can do because he's better than he's shown.

But your big point is obviously spot on. We're going to have to get a lot of contributions from redshirt freshman next year if the defense is going to play at a high level. I have faith in this staff's ability to develop players and that class is really talented but there's definitely a lot of unknowns.

Joyner was a huge loss for next season.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    This is year 5.

• insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    Starting after the bye week, we need to get some true freshman into the rotation. Tuli, Taki, Sirmon, Tafisi, Kyler, Irvin, Dom, etc will all have big roles next year so it'll be beneficial to get them game experience this season.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Rapp has been dropping on draft boards and is a true junior. I think he is far less likely to go pro than Murphy
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    dhdawg said:

Rapp has been dropping on draft boards and is a true junior. I think he is far less likely to go pro than Murphy

Agree. Plus he's Asian and probably values his education so he has incentive to come back to finish up his degree.

Starting after the bye week, we need to get some true freshman into the rotation. Tuli, Taki, Sirmon, Tafisi, Kyler, Irvin, Dom, etc will all have big roles next year so it'll be beneficial to get them game experience this season.

I assume you'll see plenty of the true frosh against OSU and WSU.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

dhdawg said:

I can't see why, he's played as well this year as ever. His tape is strong and he's going to destroy the combine.
    Yeah I haven't understood it either. But basically every mock now has him as a 3rd round pick.
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

I can't see why, he's played as well this year as ever. His tape is strong and he's going to destroy the combine.
    Yeah I haven't understood it either. But basically every mock now has him as a 3rd round pick.
    Most mocks didn't have Kevin King until like the 5th round. Then he destroyed the combine and soared up.

I imagine Rapp will do the same.

Obviously I'd be thrilled if he comes back, then would change the whole feel of the secondary next year. I don't think he will though.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Rapp's going to medical school not the NFL
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

Miller and Murphy aren't as good as advertised. JoJo is really meh. BBK is good but not a big loss.

What we need is a change in scheme. Hopefully all these badass DTs we redshirted are physically ready next year. Gaines and Vea were their sophomore years.

This. I'm really tired of the the whole DBU thing. Since when has the basis of great Husky defenses been the back end? I want to see us get back to Husky roots of being a great front seven who smother you with pass rush and are ass kickers upfront. Because of the DB rep we have evolved into a bend don't break group instead of an attack defense. Fuck the 5 DB
    base defense and lets get back to actually recruiting defensive ends. Jesus if you ever got good enough to face Bama or OSU
    they's run it up your asshole on 1st and second down with that 5 DB scheme. Plus if you have an actual pressure defense your DB's don't have to be NFL caliber. Plus Jimmy Lake is a short termer anyway.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,344 Swaye's Wigwam

This times 1000
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I think we'll be about the same next year. A PAC 12 title contender, but not a truly great team.

We should be a little better on offense. Our front 6 (yes I typed 6 on purpose) on defense will be a major question mark.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236

dhdawg said:

He'll get brownie points foe tutoring other players for the wonderlic and get into the late second round ...
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Passion said:

Sorry, can't "convince you otherwise."

Shitty recruiting on defense (except for DBs) is now catching up with us. Opposing QBs will have the cleanest uniforms in the building for the next year-and-a-half.

Does the Heart of Dallas Bowl still exist?

I believe it's the Beef O'Brady Bowl now.

I'm not sure what a Beef O'Brady is. I'm assuming it's a canned product. Probably a cross between Dinty Moore and Beef-a-roni.

Either way, 2032 is going to be special.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Wtf are you guys are on? Rapp is putting out outstanding tape this year. He is doing what his DC tells him to do. Not his faul they ask him to line up 30 yards of the ball.