Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Stats are for losers

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,512 Founders Club
So we? get to use stats since we? are the losers

Football is not a metric win probability game. It is a scoreboard game. Who made the plays and who choked in the moment. That's why stats are for losers and if and buts don't mean shit

But we did take the stats battle in yards and YPG from our SEC neighbors to the south so there is that. Both these teams may be around for a while which would really be a first for this non rivalry. Petersen better fix our? well documented choking DAWG issues.

Comments

• HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    4th down efficiency is the stat of the game
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree, 50% on 3rd downs is.

When it was 3rd and 11 in ovetime I turned to my girlfriend and said "the game is fucking over"
  • section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    50% on 3rd down is a joke.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

When it was 3rd and 11 in ovetime I turned to my girlfriend and said "the game is fucking over"
    pics or GTFO
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

One team was 6-13, one was 9-18. That's basically a wash.

One team going 1-2 on fourth and the other going 3-3 is a massive difference. That's two extra possessions for UO.

That's the game.

When a team has a reputation for good defense you cant give up 50% on 3rd downs. It was 4th and 1s Oregon was converting....and 3rd and 8's which are a lot more damning
    When you would rather see a 3rd and 4 than a 3rd and 10 something is really fucked
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

One team going 1-2 on fourth and the other going 3-3 is a massive difference. That's two extra possessions for UO.

That's the game.

When a team has a reputation for good defense you cant give up 50% on 3rd downs. It was 4th and 1s Oregon was converting....and 3rd and 8's which are a lot more damning
    part of the way Oregon is playing now is to use Verdell to get us? to 3d and manageable... which he mostly does. Not as many risky plays as with the read-option which could get us 30, or could get us -3.
    AZDuck said:

That's the game.

part of the way Oregon is playing now is to use Verdell to get us? to 3d and manageable... which he mostly does. Not as many risky plays as with the read-option which could get us 30, or could get us -3.

The thing is we did great on third and manageable.

The scoring drive Oregon had before halftime they converted 3 third and longs, including the td pass. Same shit in overtime. Their wide receivers got off the line, ran to the marker, forced murphy and miller to back off, then curled back and caught the ball at the marker

AZDuck said:

That's the game.

The scoring drive Oregon had before halftime they converted 3 third and longs, including the td pass. Same shit in overtime. Their wide receivers got off the line, ran to the marker, forced murphy and miller to back off, then curled back and caught the ball at the marker
    Ummm no. This is like PLSS level accuracy.

Oregon faced 3rd down and 5 yards or shorter six times. They converted 5 of them and the one they failed to convert they picked up on 4th.

If they got to 3rd down and under 6 yards they picked up the first down every single time.

AZDuck said:

That's the game.

Oregon faced 3rd down and 5 yards or shorter six times. They converted 5 of them and the one they failed to convert they picked up on 4th.

If they got to 3rd down and under 6 yards they picked up the first down every single time.

It sure seemed like they made every third and long too...

AZDuck said:

That's the game.

It sure seemed like they made every third and long too...
    According to the ESPN play by play data.

5 of 6 on 3rd and under 6.

5 of 13 on 3rd and over 6.

(They picked up a 3rd on 3 via penalty and I don't think that shows in the game stats Race posted).

They picked up two of the 3rd and longs on 4th down so we got off the field 6 of 13 times on 3rd and 6 or more as compared to 0 times on 3rd and 5 or less.