Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Annual October Market Correction

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,994
or the end of the bull?

Starbucks is laying off; Alaska Airlines is laying off. Ford.

Each of those companies has a story for it. Are companies looking beyond 2019 for an extended downturn?

Comments

• CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    I can’t wait to hear trump’s nickname for the fed reserve chair he appointed.

Too tight Jerry? Loser if not looser Powell?

The fed has gone crazy!

It sounds like trump doesn’t know what happens when you pile on an extra trillion in debt caused by tax cuts without corresponding spending cuts.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Everything is going according to plan. Democrats win Congress. Do nothing still cause that's what Congress does. Go into recession in 2019 and do what? Blame Democrats. Just watch.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,994
    Not sure I can assign this to Trump.

Rates have been low forever; fed was bound to raise them. Been a long time coming.

October has historically been a weird time in markets.

Rates have been low forever; fed was bound to raise them. Been a long time coming.

Indeed. Fundamentals have been favoring tightening for a while now, and that’s what’s happening.

I am just noting that the 2018 tax and spending bills juice inflationary pressures even further. And I think it’s funny trump is ranting at the fed for doing its job when trump can’t manage his.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited October 2018
    Buy the dip like usual. It works 9 tims out of ten. Bought some stocks and shorted volatility yesterday and today.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited October 2018
    I'm not too worried.

We've already discussed Ford's issues

Who wants to buy a $5 latte everyday when they can buy a $200 latte maker and have a latte at home everyday for about $1.50?

Alaska Airlines I don't know

Little known fact about the 2008 recession. The quick raising of rates in 2006 was the catalyst to the recession. It was the spark on top of the dry wood stack. That's part of the reason the fed was gun shy about rates the last 10 years and raised them very slowly.

I'm not too worried.

We've already discussed Ford's issues

Who wants to buy a $5 latte everyday when they can buy a $200 latte maker and have a latte at home everyday for about $1.50?

Alaska Airlines I don't know

Can’t poke any holes in this analysis. It’s airtight. Thorough. And insightful.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,953
    2001400ex said:

Little known fact about the 2008 recession. The quick raising of rates in 2006 was the catalyst to the recession. It was the spark on top of the dry wood stack. That's part of the reason the fed was gun shy about rates the last 10 years and raised them very slowly.
    I thought you told us it was the repeal of Glass-Stegal that caused the housing meltdown.
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

I thought you told us it was the repeal of Glass-Stegal that caused the housing meltdown.
    Did I say rates "were the cause". Fucking seriously. You are the dumbest motherfucker here.

BTW I also never said glass steagal was the cause either. For starters that bill was in the 1930s.....

You seriously need to go to a school "reading comprehension for dumbfucks".
    edited October 2018
    You said the repeal of Glass-Stegal was one of the causes for the housing meltdown liar.
    SFGbob said:

You said the repeal of Glass-Stegal was one of the causes for the housing meltdown liar.

And you agreed when you said that changes to the community reinvestment act was a cause as well. HTH
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    SFGbob said:

Glass-Steagal allowed the banks to get bigger. It didn't create the secondary mortgage market and the relaxing of lending standards or the rating agency fraud. If you really want to look at one item to blame the 2008 financial meltdown on blame Fannie and Freddie. Without their creation you would have never of had climate that existed that led to mortgage meltdown.

Shortbus Special
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited October 2018
    500 - 1000 point down DOW days are the best days to load up. Wish it would happen more often.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Did I say rates "were the cause". Fucking seriously. You are the dumbest motherfucker here.

BTW I also never said glass steagal was the cause either. For starters that bill was in the 1930s.....

When every post you write is constantly “mis-interpreted” by every reader it may not be the reader with the issues, know what I mean?
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

And you agreed when you said that changes to the community reinvestment act was a cause as well. HTH
    And you claim I have problems with reading comprehension? I never agreed with that and I never said that.

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

When every post you write is constantly “mis-interpreted” by every reader it may not be the reader with the issues, know what I mean?
    Exactly, at some point maybe it's not the reader that has the problem.
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Exactly, at some point maybe it's not the reader that has the problem.
    You misinterpret more than just me around here. HTH
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

500 - 1000 point down DOW days are the best days to load up. Wish it would happen more often.

I enjoy watching n00bs and old fucks cry over unrealized losses. Another recession would be great. Can’t wait for the next big boomer panic sell off.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    SFGbob said:

And banks would have never made those loans if the Government hadn't created the secondary mortgage market with the creation of Fannie and Freddie. Wall Street definitely exacerbated the problem but the problem would have never gotten as large as it did without the creation of Fannie and Freddie.

Honk Honk. Time to go to school.