Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

When Gaskin leaves....

Comments

• Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    QB and RB both have a "vision" component that can't really be taught. It's an innate feel for the position that you either have or you don't. I think the RB position will still be productive for us as we have good athletes but Polk, Sankey and Gaskin were/are special talents with with innate patience and vision.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,606
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

Should we fire the running backs coach?

@NorwegianHusky tells me that running backs don't actually require any coaching and we should judge the coach based on how many 5* recruits they have in June.

You can't teach instincts like Gaskin's. Just look at Salvon. When Gaskin leaves you're gonna see how spoiled we have been with him. Or maybe you won't see it, because you're a retard.
    Salvon will be a good running back. Or maybe you don't see it, because you're a retard.

Point is you wanted the RB coach fired in June because you didn't like his recruits. Well, the fact that we've had 2-3 good backs every year he's been here says differently. So does the head coach.

In short, the results say fuck you. Doogs hate results.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,606
    Swaye's Wigwam

QB and RB both have a "vision" component that can't really be taught. It's an innate feel for the position that you either have or you don't. I think the RB position will still be productive for us as we have good athletes but Polk, Sankey and Gaskin were/are special talents with with innate patience and vision.

We've been hearing that we will struggle to replace "x player" for years now. Not to say Gaskin isn't a good back, but we actually have coaches that recruit and develop talent so I'm not worried.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,923
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Ahmed will be fine running between the tackles once he is doing it 10+ times a game. Right now the sample size on him doing that is tiny.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Ahmed will be fine running between the tackles once he is doing it 10+ times a game. Right now the sample size on him doing that is tiny.

I hope you're right.

One thing Gaskin does so well is that he is able to make something out of nothing and fall forward for another 2-3 yards after seemingly being wrapped up and stopped. There are games where those type of yards are 15-20% of his overall production. With Ahmed I see an insane athlete who is a homerun threat, not the durable grinder that Gaskin is. Like I said, I think we'll still get production out of our running backs next year, I just think there will be some games where our run game really struggles against top tier front 7's because we don't have a back like Gaskin who can make something out of nothing. Ahmed will have a bunch of 100+ yards game but I think there will also be games where are run game struggles to have an impact.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

I hope you're right.

One thing Gaskin does so well is that he is able to make something out of nothing and fall forward for another 2-3 yards after seemingly being wrapped up and stopped. There are games where those type of yards are 15-20% of his overall production. With Ahmed I see an insane athlete who is a homerun threat, not the durable grinder that Gaskin is. Like I said, I think we'll still get production out of our running backs next year, I just think there will be some games where our run game really struggles against top tier front 7's because we don't have a back like Gaskin who can make something out of nothing. Ahmed will have a bunch of 100+ yards game but I think there will also be games where are run game struggles to have an impact.
    I think this is a fair assessment
  • Options
    LuxrayBeatsLuxrayBeats Member Posts: 91
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    Gaskin is a great player. He is one of my favorite Huskies to ever suit up.

However, we will be just fine without him. Ahmed will get stronger and more refined this offseason, prepping for the increased amount of snaps. Right now, Ahmed has been statistically more effective. He is averaging 7.1 yards per carry, while Myles is averaging 4.5 yards per carry.

Stanford could have freaked out that they were losing McCaffery. They didn't, instead Bryce Love became a thing. It will be the same story with Ahmed. He has shown enough flashes to convince me that we will be just fine in 2019. Kamari Pleasant is also going to be really good, and I am sure they will also work Dick Newton in there, who's body looks incredible. Yeah and there is Sean McGrew, who actually looks pretty decent this year. Give all these young pups another year in the weight room, and I actually love our runningback situation in 2019. Don't forget about Cam Davis coming in either.

That is college football. You bring in new guys and you develop them. Ahmed will be better in a year than he is now. That's not up for debate. It's a given.
  • Options

However, we will be just fine without him. Ahmed will get stronger and more refined this offseason, prepping for the increased amount of snaps. Right now, Ahmed has been statistically more effective. He is averaging 7.1 yards per carry, while Myles is averaging 4.5 yards per carry.

Stanford could have freaked out that they were losing McCaffery. They didn't, instead Bryce Love became a thing. It will be the same story with Ahmed. He has shown enough flashes to convince me that we will be just fine in 2019. Kamari Pleasant is also going to be really good, and I am sure they will also work Dick Newton in there, who's body looks incredible. Yeah and there is Sean McGrew, who actually looks pretty decent this year. Give all these young pups another year in the weight room, and I actually love our runningback situation in 2019. Don't forget about Cam Davis coming in either.

That is college football. You bring in new guys and you develop them. Ahmed will be better in a year than he is now. That's not up for debate. It's a given.

No, it's not.
  • Options

No, it's not.
    Players get better the longer they play under Pete. When Ahmed was coming in, we didn't even know what side of the ball he was going to play on. Of COURSE he will get better.
  • Options

No, it's not.
    Players get better the longer they play under Pete. When Ahmed was coming in, we didn't even know what side of the ball he was going to play on. Of COURSE he will get better.
    Gaskin is the exact same runner he's always been with some minor improvements as a receiver which we never took advantage of. It's likely Ahmed will improve some going forward. It's far from a given..
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,477
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Polk-Sankey-(dwash)-Gaskin...

It's been a hell of a decade at the RB position.

Before that was Rankin who got more than just a coffee cup in the NFL.

As of now Ahmed reminds me more of Rankin than Gaskin. His footwork in the hole is maddeningly choppy and indecisive, but when he goes he looks like a cheat code.

Hopefully he learns to read what's in front of him better, but history shows that's not really something you teach.

That's why Gaskin balled day 1 and pushed DWash out to the NFL early, he just has "it"
  • Options
    Doogles said:

As of now Ahmed reminds me more of Rankin than Gaskin. His footwork in the hole is maddeningly choppy and indecisive, but when he goes he looks like a cheat code.

Hopefully he learns to read what's in front of him better, but history shows that's not really something you teach.

That's why Gaskin balled day 1 and pushed DWash out to the NFL early, he just has "it"

I would argue that footwork can definitely be improved.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    CaptainPJ said:

Ahmed will gain another 15-20 lbs and be just fine between the tackles.

Think: Rahsaan Sheehee.

Or am I dealing with a bunch of dumbfuck Millenial doogs here?

u call?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,477
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I would argue that footwork can definitely be improved.
    I'm referencing vision. I'm sure if you put Ahmed through a cone drill he would destroy it, but his in game happy feet come from not knowing which path to take and when.

FTR I think we're going to be fine at RB next year and expect Salvon to produce well enough to leave early.

It will probably be a lot more boom or bust though.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Salvon definitely isn’t proven, but against BYU was definitely the best I’ve seen him in terms of his vision and trusting himself. Some improvenent still needed but I’m not super worried about it.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,593
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Everyone sleeping on little Sean McGreW
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Should we fire the running backs coach?

@NorwegianHusky tells me that running backs don't actually require any coaching and we should judge the coach based on how many 5* recruits they have in June.

You can't teach instincts like Gaskin's. Just look at Salvon. When Gaskin leaves you're gonna see how spoiled we have been with him. Or maybe you won't see it, because you're a retard.
    Salvon will be a good running back. Or maybe you don't see it, because you're a retard.

Point is you wanted the RB coach fired in June because you didn't like his recruits. Well, the fact that we've had 2-3 good backs every year he's been here says differently. So does the head coach.

In short, the results say fuck you. Doogs hate results.
    Learn to fucking read. I never said Salvon would be bad. I loved him as a recruit. I said he doesn't have the kind of instincts Gaskin has, and likely never will. The results on the field have been good, FOR NOW. However, the results in recruiting haven't been. That could lead to worse results in the future, but you don't like to look at more than one thing, because you're fucking stupid. Thankfully, we're getting Cameron Davis this year, and that might save us. But in between Davis and Ahmed, our RB recruiting has been like our WR recruiting under Pease. See how our WRs suck now outside of Fuller? Funny how that works. Now shut the fuck up.