Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon good but will never be great like Huskies were

I read this someplace and thought I'd post it here in the real Husky forum to get more accurate fan responses.

Comments

• Chip Kelly's 4 year run is better than any 4 year run the Huskies have ever had. Sad but true.
  • One could argue Oregon 2009-13 tops any 5 year stretch in UW history.

If we go by a single year, Oregon picks one team and UW picks one team, I think Oregon's team last year was the best Oregon team I've ever seen, with a healthy Mariota, DAT and the Chipper in charge. But the 1991 Washington team was better. That Defense really was as great as everyone says. I know its tough to compare eras, but Id say '91 UW beats '12 Oregon rather easily, say, 35-17?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,650
    They may never be as good as the 91 team.

Their program has already surpassed any stretch in UW history.

I know, others have already said it. But it's true.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,332
    I hate doing comparisons on teams/players from other decades.

The game is completely different today than it was 1991. In comparison to the competition at the time, yes, I would say 1991 Washington was more dominant. However, today, players are faster and stronger than ever, and new rules have also benefited offenses. But you can also argue that those 1991 UW defenses would be bigger and stronger today than they were then.

It's like comparing Montana to Brady, you can't. Same goes for NBA teams pre 2000's to now.

I hate to play the damn fence on this, but there is absolutely no comparison.
    91 UW steroids > modern Oregon payola.

UW wins that one rather easily.
  • Gil Dobie's teams had a good stretch
  • Haid_D_SalaamiHaid_D_Salaami Member Posts: 541

Gil Dobie's teams had a good stretch

Agreed!

And Oregon's never beaten Everett HS, The USS Milwaukee or the Ballard Meteors either.

Just sayin.....

• fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212

Chip Kelly's 4 year run is better than any 4 year run the Huskies have ever had. Sad but true.

Easy chief... The 'run' ... Ok ...

But no cherry on top. Aside from that .. '91 with motivation would have put those dumb cunts in traction for 3 months. I was there. I knew some them. They were on another planet. They were good to go 24/7.

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    Gil Dobie never had to face Nicholls State.
  • The 1991 Huskies never had to face a Ranked Oregon State though..........

The 1991 Huskies never had to face a Ranked Oregon State though..........

Poont.

It would be wrong of someone to poast a thread at that other place axing Fleenor if Oregon's a better team than 91 UW since they play in such a better conference.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,070
    edited November 2013
    dnc said:

The 1991 Huskies never had to face a Ranked Oregon State though..........

Poont.

It would be wrong of someone to poast a thread at that other place axing Fleenor if Oregon's a better team than 91 UW since they play in such a better conference.

I don't no why you axe me that question. 91 UW wasn't even bettuh than 91 Miami ... let's get royotis up in hee-uh.

1/2 a natty and a made up natty ... what da fuck we talkin' 'bout hee-uh?

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Oregon's best team was in 2010. They didn't give up a point in the 4th quarter until like the 9th or 10th week. They had a kicker, they had two stud running backs, were loaded at WR and TE, and the line was very deep. Darron Thomas was the most clutch kid I've ever seen. The more you sent at him and the bigger the moment he just got better. If I'm remembering right every LB in the two deep was either first team All-Conference or an NFL pick.

The defense held Can Newton in check for four quarters. No way in hell a ball control offense scores 35 on that team, not in 8 quarters. The same way Fairley was a little too much to handle Empterman would have been the same way. That UW team could have beaten Oregon that year but it would have been low scoring and who knows what would have happened. I'd pay to see it, that's for sure.
    Mosster47 said:

Oregon's best team was in 2010. They didn't give up a point in the 4th quarter until like the 9th or 10th week. They had a kicker, they had two stud running backs, were loaded at WR and TE, and the line was very deep. Darron Thomas was the most clutch kid I've ever seen. The more you sent at him and the bigger the moment he just got better. If I'm remembering right every LB in the two deep was either first team All-Conference or an NFL pick.

The defense held Can Newton in check for four quarters. No way in hell a ball control offense scores 35 on that team, not in 8 quarters. The same way Fairley was a little too much to handle Empterman would have been the same way. That UW team could have beaten Oregon that year but it would have been low scoring and who knows what would have happened. I'd pay to see it, that's for sure.

Why do you hate Dennis Dixon's hypothetical Heisman Natty combo?

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Why do you hate Dennis Dixon's hypothetical Heisman Natty combo?

When DD was healthy the Ducks were the best team in the country that year and their offense was ridiculous. The defense wasn't all that great though. 2010 was the shark jump, so far.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,070
    There is no discussing 91 Washington without royotis.

So just shut up until Roy shows.

Tnx