Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mario Cristobal is Implementing the "Saban Process" at Oregon

oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

The process — words Saban himself uses to vaguely describe the concept on which Alabama football’s built — began at Oregon this the offseason.

“No. 1,” Cristobal began when detailing Saban’s impact on the reshaping of the Ducks. “Before even getting into practice, was that Fourth Quarter Program, which we implemented in our own way out here with (strength and conditioning) coach (Aaron) Feld and his staff. “I thought (the Fourth Quarter Program) was probably the biggest game-changer, the highest development factor I witnessed in four years there,” he added.

Execution of Oregon’s take on the Fourth Quarter Program comes with Saban influence, and its very concept takes its name from an oft-repeated Saban philosophy: a championship team plays its best in the fourth quarter. That comes not only from superior strength-and-conditioning training in the offseason, but from depth.

The second part (Cristobal adapted from Saban) was having the numbers you have when you’re going into camp — you never want to compromise reps, you want to make sure everybody’s developing,” Cristobal said. “What we did was actually conduct two different practices on two different field whenever it came to the team slash unit periods of practice, meaning your blitz periods; your team run and play-action periods; your team pass periods; your move-the-field periods. “What happens is your fourth-team guys are getting the exact same reps and the exact same plays as your first-team guys,” he explained. “So development there has increased, I’d say exponentially, because no one suffers a compromise in their production.”

Recruiting bigger players is also part of the process. Said Cristobal: "I had a really good mentor at that last place I was at. (Alabama coach Nick Saban) always used to tell me, 'You know why they have weight divisions in boxing? So the big guy doesn't annihilate the little guy. Bring me big guys.'" At Alabama size matters. It does at Oregon now too:

"The Process" is about more than just football. You can apply to your own life as well, to improve your discipline in handling the challenges of failure and success.

theopenman.com/2018/05/02/mario-cristobal-nick-saban-influence/

Comments