Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,477 Founders Club
    Too small didn't read

Why not wait for the apocalypse to happen then blame Trump for mid term votes?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

Don't forget to stock up for the weekend.

Hahahahahhaha. This dude is legit as fuck.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942
    Obviously he was only doing that to get food and diapers for his children.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,395 Swaye's Wigwam

Will be @Swaye this weekend when Florence hits. I'll have to text him game updates again.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,395 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tangential but you know what always amazes me? That hurricanes are still seen as an unforeseeable, unpredictable, act of god. Coming from California and working in construction where literally everything has to be built to earthquake standards it blew me away spending time in the gulf and Atlantic states where very few things are built to withstand hurricanes. The last major earthquake in SoCal was Northridge over 20 years ago. Hurricanes are literally fucking seasonal. I can understand why Puerto Rico construction standards are low because the place is half a step from being third world developmentally but why everything else built in the Gulf in the last 20-30yrs isn't built with the geographic risk mitigated is fucking mind-numbing.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

Tangential but you know what always amazes me? That hurricanes are still seen as an unforeseeable, unpredictable, act of god. Coming from California and working in construction where literally everything has to be built to earthquake standards it blew me away spending time in the gulf and Atlantic states where very few things are built to withstand hurricanes. The last major earthquake in SoCal was Northridge over 20 years ago. Hurricanes are literally fucking seasonal. I can understand why Puerto Rico construction standards are low because the place is half a step from being third world developmentally but why everything else built in the Gulf in the last 20-30yrs isn't built with the geographic risk mitigated is fucking mind-numbing.

Because Southerners are stupid?
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,963

Standards for new buildings are built for Category 3+ hurricanes...had the eye wall go over my house a few years back and had minimal damage. The only thing that really gets torn up are the old houses/buildings, buildings on the coast that get hit with storm surges, and buildings that get hit with the small tornadoes that pop up in hurricanes.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    Enjoy watching HGTV's Beachfront Bargain Hunt when people buy some bungalow five feet above sea level anywhere along the Gulf or Atlantic. Oh, it's on stilts, that'll save you

Wife has engineered several beachfront properties in the area over the years. They have to be designed to take seismic loads, obviously, but also dynamic loads of hillside coming down on them from above and wave loads from hundred-year storms. They end up being million-dollar reinforced concrete bunker complexes. But they never have to be rebuilt

NYT has a pretty good array of articles on the dysfunctional federal flood insurance program
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    BearsWiin said:

Enjoy watching HGTV's Beachfront Bargain Hunt when people buy some bungalow five feet above sea level anywhere along the Gulf or Atlantic. Oh, it's on stilts, that'll save you

Wife has engineered several beachfront properties in the area over the years. They have to be designed to take seismic loads, obviously, but also dynamic loads of hillside coming down on them from above and wave loads from hundred-year storms. They end up being million-dollar reinforced concrete bunker complexes. But they never have to be rebuilt

NYT has a pretty good array of articles on the dysfunctional federal flood insurance program

YKW.

I laffed at take Seismic loads though.
    BearsWiin said:

Wow, who would have ever guessed that Federal government would create perverse incentives that cost the tax payers billions. If you can't get private insurance there is no fucking way that the Federal Government should be offering it. Thanks liberals.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,529 Standard Supporter
    BearsWiin said:

I have scoured the interwebs so go ahead and flag - but there’s a hottie in the end of BeachFront Bargain Hunt promos that is totally brb, yo. Little black bikini, fedora, tight ass.

Maybe Uncle Race can find a pic.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    SFGbob said:

Wow, who would have ever guessed that Federal government would create perverse incentives that cost the tax payers billions. If you can't get private insurance there is no fucking way that the Federal Government should be offering it. Thanks liberals.

I dunno, I think a lot of federal insurance programs have worked out okay, considering all the pros and the cons:

FDIC
    Medicare
    Medicaid
    Terrorism Risk Insurance Program
    Federal Crop Insurance Corporation

There are a lot of fair criticisms to be made of many federal insurance programs and the perverse incentives or moral hazards they might create. Of course, that's true for private insurance programs too. Economic theory has long recognized these problems in the private-insurance context. But it doesn't follow that federal (or private) insurance programs should be eliminated.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    Swaye said:

Hahahahahhaha. This dude is legit as fuck.
    Lol you've never seen the Katrina beer looter guy? That was like one of the original internet memes

Guess that DSL is hard to come by on the rez