Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Nebraska to start pure freshman at QB

ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited August 2018 in College Football Forum
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24481521/nebraska-cornhuskers-tab-true-freshman-adrian-martinez-starting-qb

Nebraska stupidly is trying the "hire the alum" trick. Which never works. Ask WSU about Paul Wulff. How about the Gilby era? Neuheisel to UCLA.

You can't start a freshman at QB at PLU successfully, let alone the GNAC, Big Sky, and certainly not the Big-10. Stupid.

Comments

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    edited August 2018
    I didn't realize it was Bill Moos. No wonder. I wonder what Moos thinks now that the starter is announced.
    edited August 2018

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24481521/nebraska-cornhuskers-tab-true-freshman-adrian-martinez-starting-qb

Nebraska stupidly is trying the "hire the alum" trick. Which never works. Ask WSU about Paul Wulff. How about the Gilby era? Neuheisel to UCLA.

You can't start a freshman at QB at PLU successfully, let alone the GNAC, Big Sky, and certainly not the Big-10. Stupid.

Tom Osborne was a Nebraska alum. Hope this helps.
    It could work but probably won't. There are so many examples of it not working. It must be like a 10:1 ration of doesn't work: work. Another big flop was Charlie Weis. Hiring the alum creates a lot of good feelings with the fanbase but it creates an illusory positive aspect. A guy in his early 40s with only a single head coaching job at a 2nd rate D1 school? If he didn't have the alum status, it wouldn't be happening.

It could work but probably won't. There are so many examples of it not working. It must be like a 10:1 ration of doesn't work: work. Another big flop was Charlie Weis. Hiring the alum creates a lot of good feelings with the fanbase but it creates an illusory positive aspect. A guy in his early 40s with only a single head coaching job at a 2nd rate D1 school? If he didn't have the alum status, it wouldn't be happening.
    I wasn't literally arguing that point. I was just trying to be a smart ass.

Hope this helps.
    the problems start when somebody is hired because of some factors that don't really translate to the hire actually doing a better job but only make somebody feel better about it. It is part of the stupid human race and we'll continue to see it in football.

But, it could work out still if Frost is the 1 in 10.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Please to be showing me what Mike Riley did to deserve the position before this guy? Riley was a loser at every job he held.

Frost won an NC as a player, is really the only Chip Kelly disciple, and took an Owen team and had them win an NC in under one recruiting cycle.

It's not like they hired Turner Gill.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

I wasn't literally arguing that point. I was just trying to be a smart ass.

Hope this helps.
    the problems start when somebody is hired because of some factors that don't really translate to the hire actually doing a better job but only make somebody feel better about it. It is part of the stupid human race and we'll continue to see it in football.

But, it could work out still if Frost is the 1 in 10.
    Hiring an alum is usually dumb, but I would bet Frost will be the exception to that rule. And starting a true freshman QB as a new coach actually makes some sense...that Martinez kid will be good in a year or two.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Frost didn't get only the gig because he was an alum, he only took the gig because he was an alum.

SOYNTLTD
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

Please to be showing me what Mike Riley did to deserve the position before this guy? Riley was a loser at every job he held.

Frost won an NC as a player, is really the only Chip Kelly disciple, and took an Owen team and had them win an NC in under one recruiting cycle.

It's not like they hired Turner Gill.
    So he was Oregon State's Cristobal?
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Mosster47 said:

Riley was a loser at every job he held.

You know how I know you are fucking retarded?
    Can somebody give me an example of a pure freshman being a success at QB? I know it CAN happen, just like hiring an alum CAN work, but my point is that it usually DOESN'T work. Although, Frost's last season at Florida Whatever was good with a win over, cough, Auburn. Maybe he is the real deal. Or maybe he's a Wulff. DOn't forget Wulff was winning like crazy at Eastern.
    dnc said:

Can somebody give me an example of a pure freshman being a success at QB? I know it CAN happen, just like hiring an alum CAN work, but my point is that it usually DOESN'T work. Although, Frost's last season at Florida Whatever was good with a win over, cough, Auburn. Maybe he is the real deal. Or maybe he's a Wulff. DOn't forget Wulff was winning like crazy at Eastern.

13-0 at Central Florida >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything anyone ever did at Eastern.

You know who else went undefeated at jobs like Central Florida?

Chris Petersen and Urban Meyer.

Not saying Frost is a top 5 coach, don't twist.

I am saying Nebraska's lucky as hell he went there or he'd be coaching someone better.
    It's definitely commendable, that part. At first I did not see that. Still, it reeks of the old hire-the-alum trick which is like hiring your cousin just 'cuz
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Scott Frosty won the fucking natty at UCF!! I love your Central shtick, but stick to your division. No higher discussion board for you!
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Doesn't matter...he's worrying about year 3. And if the rest of your QBs suck, and you think the kid has talent throw him into the fire and baby him along so that by Year 3 he is good to go.
    Doogles said:

Scott Frosty won the fucking natty at UCF!! I love your Central shtick, but stick to your division. No higher discussion board for you!
    Doogles said:

The fucking natty then is position #19.