Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Moscow Mule vs Gin and Tonic - Thoughts?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,888
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Made myself a Moscow Mule at home for the first tim. Have only had one once before in a bar. No copper mug, but all of the correct ingredients other-wise. Impressions: OK drink but nothing speshial. Seems terribly overrated and can't hold a candle to something like a proper Gin and Tonic.

On a side note - future idea for an off-season tournament: 16 or 32 team classic cocktails battle with some combination of whiskey, rum/tequila, gin and vodka based brackets.

Moscow Mule vs Gin and Tonic - Thoughts? 27 votes

Moscow Mule
37%
whlinderPostGameOrangeSlicesBennyBeavergreenbloodBlackieGladstonePurpleThrobberDooglesDoog_de_JourUW_Doog_Bot 10 votes
Gin and Tonic
40%
section8SoutherndawgThomasFremontMad_SonTequillaPitchfork51NEsnake12YellowSnowBleachedAnusDawgLesGrossmanRDR 11 votes
They both suck
22%
RoadDawg55DeepSeaZBad_MotherDuckerLebamDawgJoeEDangerouslyDoogCourics 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Kentucky Mule kicks shit outta both.
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gin and Tonic
    Although I like a Gin Martini even better
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gin and Tonic

Kentucky Mule kicks shit outta both.

Oh, that looks tasty. I might try and make one tonight.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Moscow Mule
    On a hot day, not many things beat a Moscow Mule. It's weird, but the the copper mug does make a difference.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gin and Tonic

Although I like a Gin Martini even better

Gin Martini is prolly a #1 seed in its bracket. Although, I was made to feel like shit about myself by the RESIDETN COCKTAIL EXPURT OF THE BORED @Dennis_DeYoung in that I've been making them wrong my entire adult life. Who knew you had to put gas in the vermouth right away and using the fridge to a week or so made you a noob.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,805
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Moscow Mule
    G&T is bile with alcohol in it.

Moscow Mule the lesser of two evils.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gin and Tonic

The gods should smite you with malaria for having such poor taste in cocktails.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,125
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    They both suck
    Two pretentious drinks IMO
  • Options
    Moscow Mule

Two pretentious drinks IMO

Pretentious but still WOOD
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gin and Tonic

The gods should smite you with malaria for having such poor taste in cocktails.

If it's good enough for Don Draper, it's good enough for the Throbber.

Sub Rye in for Bourbon to minimize diabetes risk.

Old fashioned would be like a #1 or #2 seed in the whiskey bracket. Manhattan would be the other contender here for the #1 seed.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Moscow Mule
    I will make a Moscow Mule that will have you faced on the floor before you realize it. Have done this to many people before who "didn't really like moscow mules". It was one of my family's favorite drinks going back to prohibition days and I was forced to make them from about the age of 13 for said family. As DDY said ABC and then the other key is your ginger beer which varies wildly in taste and quality but it MUST be relatively fresh. Muddling or slapping fresh mint can also drastically change the drink but isn't "required". The copper mug does make a difference but really any metal cup will do.

My go to is still a whiskey sour but the Moscow Mule is something that more of my friends(and more specifically the wife's friends) will drink so I end up making them regularly at the house.
  • Options
    Moscow Mule

I will make a Moscow Mule that will have you faced on the floor before you realize it. Have done this to many people before who "didn't really like moscow mules". It was one of my family's favorite drinks going back to prohibition days and I was forced to make them from about the age of 13 for said family. As DDY said ABC and then the other key is your ginger beer which varies wildly in taste and quality but it MUST be relatively fresh. Muddling or slapping fresh mint can also drastically change the drink but isn't "required". The copper mug does make a difference but really any metal cup will do.

My go to is still a whiskey sour but the Moscow Mule is something that more of my friends(and more specifically the wife's friends) will drink so I end up making them regularly at the house.

At least you admit to putting roofies in your drinks.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gin and Tonic

What's the physics behind the copper mug improving flavor? Should I use mint? I have Reed's Ginger Beer and Stoli and plenty of ABC.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Moscow Mule
    Only gin drink i like is a negroni
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gin and Tonic
    Doogles said:

Negroni will definitely get a bid. Those are really damn tasty.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,805
    Moscow Mule
    Doogles said:

ISAFNRC
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    Gin and Tonic
    Gin and tonic with good tonic is alright

But might as well make a Tom Collins

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Moscow Mule

What's the physics behind the copper mug improving flavor? Should I use mint? I have Reed's Ginger Beer and Stoli and plenty of ABC.
    Copper has a low heat capacity and will make the drink "feel" colder than something of higher heat capacity. This affects how quickly the heat disperses as well which means your drink can actually get colder than 32 degrees since it's presumably got alcohol and ice in it. It will however, mean that your drink will melt more quickly. There may or may not be some other factors like increased carbon dioxide release or oxidizing from the copper itself but this is most likely not noticeable. Hence why I said any metal cup should be adequate but something like an aluminum cup would be better than say, an iron cup.

You should definitely use mint if you haven't before. Some people hate mint hence why I said optional but it's a great addition to the "ahhhhhhh" cool fresh taste of the mule if you like it. Slap da mint! It will release more flavors that way. Or you can muddle it if you really want a lot of mint flavor.

Reed's sucks IMO. Try Bundaberg. Costco usually sells it in a case. Either that or I'm sure there's a local brewery that makes it in Seattle if you want to get hipster about it. It's a bit like making root beer and your personal preference as such can vary quite a bit. If you are stuck with the TJ's selection I actually recommend using TJ's generic brand over Reed's. Stoli is probably my favorite mid tier vodka. It's probably overkill in a cocktail with that much sugar and you can get away with using something like sky or absolut honestly. Nothing wrong with better booze in a cocktail though if that's what you want to use!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Moscow Mule

At least you admit to putting roofies in your drinks.
    You don't need pharmaceuticals to knock someone out if you're a good bartender. Booze is a more than adequate neurotoxin.