Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DM to Pope Francis

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2018

dnc said:

You think now might finally be the time to recruit a few straight priests and let them marry?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/cleansing-the-catholic-church-of-its-sins.html

The priests can't marry thing is such chinsanity to me. It's just begging for trouble. And they've certainly found it.
    I understand the historical context somewhat for how having a celebrate clergy came about. But in this day and age how can the church think you are going to get anything but a very high percentage a strange dudes as priests with current policy? It's against the laws of nature to not be allowed some sexy time.
    The Catholic Church only stopped saying mass in Latin in the 60s. They’re a little slow when it comes to adapting to the times.
    I agree, but Joseph Campbell once explained why they kept doing it for so long. It was an attempt to make the experience of hearing mass the same no matter where you were on earth. You would feel at home no matter what, at least in theory. Campbell also said that the original Latin was much more eloquent to listen to than the English, French, Spanish and German translations.
    I don’t disagree with that in many ways. There’s something beautiful about hearing old Gregorian chants for example, and I don’t think any institution should throw out its traditions on a whim.

However (and this is mostly my Protestant background talking) the Catholic Church for a long time looked down on the Bible or any other church materials being translated into the country’s native language because they didn’t want lay people reading it and interrupting things for themselves.

Sadly I think it was more about control than preserving the liturgy.
  • Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

They need more of guy's like this as bishops (even if they laicize them later, at least it will not be because they are pedos):

Talleyrand!!
    Man, Duff Cooper's (who was a friend of Churchill) biography of him is amazing. Basically, it comes across that Talleyrand was France, both during and after Napoleon. Also he Eugene Delacoix was also probably his bastard son. He also refused Aaron Burr when Burr came to France, having a messenger tell Burr a painting of Hamilton hung above his fireplace. Apparently during a coup he was largely responsible for in France, he spent his time playing wist with some lovely laddies of high society. He was also responsible along with Metternich and Castlereagh for establishing a lasting peace in Europe after Napoleon's defeat. As a Bishop, he apparently forgot the words to a service and had to be guided through by another priest.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

You think now might finally be the time to recruit a few straight priests and let them marry?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/cleansing-the-catholic-church-of-its-sins.html

The priests can't marry thing is such chinsanity to me. It's just begging for trouble. And they've certainly found it.
    I understand the historical context somewhat for how having a celebrate clergy came about. But in this day and age how can the church think you are going to get anything but a very high percentage a strange dudes as priests with current policy? It's against the laws of nature to not be allowed some sexy time.
    The Catholic Church only stopped saying mass in Latin in the 60s. They’re a little slow when it comes to adapting to the times.
    I agree, but Joseph Campbell once explained why they kept doing it for so long. It was an attempt to make the experience of hearing mass the same no matter where you were on earth. You would feel at home no matter what, at least in theory. Campbell also said that the original Latin was much more eloquent to listen to than the English, French, Spanish and German translations.
    I don’t disagree with that in many ways. There’s something beautiful about hearing old Gregorian chants for example, and I don’t think any institution should throw out its traditions on a whim.

However (and this is mostly my Protestant background talking) the Catholic Church for a long time looked down on the Bible or any other church materials being translated into the country’s native language because they didn’t want lay people reading it and interrupting things for themselves.

BTW, I should clarify my last statement because I just remembered something - the Catholic Church didn’t necessarily ban vernacular versions of the Bible, there had been translations done even before the Gutenberg press came along...they just got nervous about “unauthorized” / heretical copies getting into circulation.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

dnc said:

Take it to yellow board. Gregorian chanting sucks ass.

I had to take a history of american music class and a whole test was devoted to gregorian chanting. I couldnt tell the difference between any of that shit
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

I had to take a history of american music class and a whole test was devoted to gregorian chanting. I couldnt tell the difference between any of that shit
    How on earth did your instructor consider Gregorian chanting part of American music? Did they shoehorn it into the section on gospel music?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,547
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Catholics have always been fags. If Jesus came back today, they would probably persecute Him.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Okay guys knock it off. Let's remember that the parents of popes read this board.

Stalin, can we rename the TBS board to the Catholic Church? for a like a week
  • Options
    phineas said:

race is that you?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    PurpleJ said:

Catholics have always been fags. If Jesus came back today, they would probably persecute Him.

That explains why a Catholic girl took the Throbber’s virginity. All her kind were fags so she needed the big Protestant Purple One.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

phineas said:

race is that you?
    Hands too quick
  • Options
    dnc said:

phineas said:

race is that you?
    Hands too quick
    how would you know?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602

dnc said:

How on earth did your instructor consider Gregorian chanting part of American music? Did they shoehorn it into the section on gospel music?
    By american music, I mean they went way back to like the puritans. Idk it was horseshit. I cheated with like 4 other people (it was an online class) and still got a damn B
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Little known fact, Roman Catholic priests can be married.
  • Options

Link?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,977
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

By american music, I mean they went way back to like the puritans. Idk it was horseshit. I cheated with like 4 other people (it was an online class) and still got a damn B
    Shit bruh, I got a 4.0 in that same class and didn't have to study or cheat. But that's why Stalin gave me my own shitty little bored.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,977
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Link?
    It's extremely rare but I believe they make a few exceptions.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

dnc said:

Link?
    If a married Episcopalian minister converts to Catholicism, he can serve as a priest while married. That’s the only situation I’m aware if
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,895

dnc said:

Link?
    If a married Episcopalian minister converts to Catholicism, he can serve as a priest while married. That’s the only situation I’m aware if
    They'll also make allowances for altar boys that are groomed up....in so long as the boy diddling stays within the home diocese.

• Options

dnc said:

phineas said:

race is that you?
    Hands too quick
    how would you know?