Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Country Music Bracket Primer

Comments

• DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Swaye said:

DeepSeaZ said:

When does this start?

As soon as rap concludes.
    2020 will be special.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I will be curious to see how old country does vs new country once we get to the finals.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I will be curious to see how old country does vs new country once we get to the finals.

It should also be noted that Yella and I had very little to do with the modern country bracket. I think @Tequilla discussed it with some friends and locals, but we never listen to that stuff so I couldn't offer much of an opinion on anything past Garth Brooks.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment

Define new country. Is it new music or new style of music? BecUse there is new music that is old style country and it’s awesome.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

It should also be noted that Yella and I had very little to do with the modern country bracket. I think @Tequilla discussed it with some friends and locals, but we never listen to that stuff so I couldn't offer much of an opinion on anything past Garth Brooks.
    And this is why I recruited @Tequilla to be Czar of the All Country Battle. If it was left to you and me it would have been 81% old country legends.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

And this is why I recruited @Tequilla to be Czar of the All Country Battle. If it was left to you and me it would have been 81% old country legends.
    Exactly. Half the bored would have been like who the fuck are Buck Owens, Bob Wills, Jimmie Rodgers, Ernest Tubb and Bill Monroe? Sounds like the starting lineup for the Hickory Huskers.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Exactly. Half the bored would have been like who the fuck are Buck Owens, Bob Wills, Jimmie Rodgers, Ernest Tubb and Bill Monroe? Sounds like the starting lineup for the Hickory Huskers.

Poasted to OKG gif thread.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

The list of old country giants that didn't make it in is ginormous. And once the brackets get poasted officially you can bet I will take the gloves off to criticize the seeding committee.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I cared about your opinion, but only a little bit
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    New country is loosely defined as acts that have made their mark from 2000 onwards. I’m happy with the 8 that are in there. That being said I could put 8 more in without much push back about people being undeserving. This is where I expect the most angst with the seeding.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Was a prerequisite writing your own material, because about 98% of country artists would be DQ'ed
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2018

Was a prerequisite writing your own material, because about 98% of country artists would be DQ'ed

This has never made sense to me either, you would think country would be the most authentic genre but it's definitely not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTKR12cUqc
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

This has never made sense to me either, you would think country would be the most authentic genre but it's definitely not.

Suppose it depends more on the era. I don't know as much about the 2000's the present. Of the old country legends- e.g., Waylon, Willie, Hank Sr and Jr, Merle, Johnny Cash - they wrote most of their own material.
    Founders Club
    Hell Willie Nelson was famous as a songwriter before becoming an artist. Little things you may have heard like Patsy Cline's "Crazy" and Faron Young's "Hello Walls." Heh. Waylon Jennings wrote a song or two for Buddy Holly before anybody knew who he was. The "old guys" were prolific songwriters. The newer ones, yeah, not so much.
  • GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Give me outlaw country all day long Bitch!
    Swaye's Wigwam

Outlaws plus Cash will roll in this tourney me thinks.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Country music is great when you’re doing drive by shootings in GTA 5
    Founders Club

dnc said:

Suppose it depends more on the era. I don't know as much about the 2000's the present. Of the old country legends- e.g., Waylon, Willie, Hank Sr and Jr, Merle, Johnny Cash - they wrote most of their own material.
    Somewhat, Waylon had Billy Joe Shaver write most of Honky Tonk Heroes album. Kris Kristofferson wrote alot of stuff for other artists. What ever you may think of Toby Keith, dude writes alot of his own material. Very rare these days.
    Founders Club

Outlaws plus Cash will roll in this tourney me thinks.
    Hank 3 is going to be vastly underappreciated in the tourney I feel like.
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Somewhat, Waylon had Billy Joe Shaver write most of Honky Tonk Heroes album. Kris Kristofferson wrote alot of stuff for other artists. What ever you may think of Toby Keith, dude writes alot of his own material. Very rare these days.
    Chinned for knowing your shit on honky tonk heros which is my favorite country LP of all time. Top 10 album for me of any genre and yes it was all Billy Joe Shaver. Waylon did right a number of his own hits like "This Time", "Rainy Day Woman" and "Are You Sure Hank Done it this Way". He did cover a lot of other songwriters of course.

Merle and Willie by the way were both prolific songwriters. Cash wrote a fair bit too.