Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

GIF thread: What does OKG mean to you?

124»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    One of Jimmy's real gifts was that he related to black inner city youth. So much so, that you almost forgot that he was a redneck from Texas.

He grew up dirt ass pour, like @YellowSnow and @salemcoog , and related to their poverty.

Watch the U, part I. It's clear as day. Those kids loved him.

I think it helped a lot that Tad Foote III was the egg head "academis first" Prez of Miami at that tim (a guy who could, believe it or not, make Gerbs look like a gang banger by comparison). That unbelievably arrogant pozer piece most obviously did not want "those" kids at the U, made that abundantly clear. Jimmy and Tad frickin' HATED each other ... using the word HATE here very deliberately ... which made the players love Jimmy all the moar.

Pete's a great coach. On technical football acumen, Pete is at least Johnson's equal ... if not his superior. Jimmy's 'strategy' was to just be better than everyone else (which he basically pulled off at Miami and Dallas), and run the ball down their throats and play dominant physical D. Not super complicated, so he didn't have to be brilliant like Pete had to be at Boise, which was like the 180 degree opposite situation than Jimmy's at Miami.

On talent evaluation skill and ability to manage and get the most out of non-OKG kids (a VERY underrated coaching skill), Pete's not in Jimmy's zip code. That's ok. Few are.

I ain't mad at Pete. But anyone who makes him out to be a guy who is comfortable with inner-city bad ass players who can sometimes be a challenge to control is just working way too hard. That does not seem to be his sweet-spot. Hence, OKG.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

One of Jimmy's real gifts was that he related to black inner city youth. So much so, that you almost forgot that he was a redneck from Texas.

He grew up dirt ass pour, like @YellowSnow and @salemcoog , and related to their poverty.

I think it helped a lot that Tad Foote III was the egg head "academis first" Prez of Miami at that tim (a guy who could, believe it or not, make Gerbs look like a gang banger by comparison). That unbelievably arrogant pozer piece most obviously did not want "those" kids at the U, made that abundantly clear. Jimmy and Tad frickin' HATED each other ... using the word HATE here very deliberately ... which made the players love Jimmy all the moar.

Pete's a great coach. On technical football acumen, Pete is at least Johnson's equal ... if not his superior. Jimmy's 'strategy' was to just be better than everyone else (which he basically pulled off at Miami and Dallas), and run the ball down their throats and play dominant physical D. Not super complicated, so he didn't have to be brilliant like Pete had to be at Boise, which was like the 180 degree opposite situation than Jimmy's at Miami.

On talent evaluation skill and ability to manage and get the most out of non-OKG kids (a VERY underrated coaching skill), Pete's not in Jimmy's zip code. That's ok. Few are.

I ain't mad at Pete. But anyone who makes him out to be a guy who is comfortable with inner-city bad ass players who can sometimes be a challenge to control is just working way too hard. That does not seem to be his sweet-spot. Hence, OKG.

As @Dennis_DeYoung and others have alluded to, Pete is going to have to get out of his comfort zone recruiting-wise if we want to win a NT and I tend to agree with this sentiment.

Regarding the poverty of my youth: It's somewhat complicated. For a while there in Southern California we lived on an acre and had a pool and a tennis court. I'd give my left nut to have that house now.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Can Pete hire JB from Last Chance U to be a special inner city recruiter? I’m serious.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

pete we what more neghas on the team, and this is from a website littered with bunch white POS
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Lotsa FREE PUB here
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,447
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,837